Villanova, Brooklyn , American ????? HELP

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)

Villanova, Brooklyn , American ?

Nova
59%
BLS
14%
AMER (WCL)
27%

Total votes: 22

Dollaz

Villanova, Brooklyn , American ????? HELP

Postby Dollaz » Wed May 12, 2010 10:47 am

I'm tiring to decide between Villanova, Brooklyn , American ? I live in Philadelphia so costs would be less if I choose Villanova. I want to work in entertainment so Brooklyn is appealing. currently work for the fed gov so American may be the best for employment. What r your thoughts guys?

jetlagz28

Re: Villanova, Brooklyn , American ????? HELP

Postby jetlagz28 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:57 am

Think about where you would like to practice. Where you would want to spend the next three years of your life. They all have their ups and downs and have similar placement in their perspective geographic pecking orders.

Deal makers or breakers should include scholarships, cost of living, personal geographic preference, likes and dislikes, school focus and overall job placement.

Dollaz

Postby Dollaz » Wed May 12, 2010 3:02 pm

jetlagz28 wrote:Think about where you would like to practice. Where you would want to spend the next three years of your life. They all have their ups and downs and have similar placement in their perspective geographic pecking orders.

Deal makers or breakers should include scholarships, cost of living, personal geographic preference, likes and dislikes, school focus and overall job placement.

So i guess Im asking: which of the benefits I have outlined for the three choices outweigh the other two?

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:25 pm

I would go with Villanova. It places significantly better than Brooklyn and American do in their prospective markets. On top of that you'll be saving money by going there.

legalized

Postby legalized » Thu May 13, 2010 2:58 pm

Dollaz wrote:I'm tiring to decide between Villanova, Brooklyn , American ? I live in Philadelphia so costs would be less if I choose Villanova. I want to work in entertainment so Brooklyn is appealing. currently work for the fed gov so American may be the best for employment. What r your thoughts guys?

The one giving you the best financial aid package, or the one located in an area you want to practice law for the rest of your life.

legalized

Postby legalized » Thu May 13, 2010 3:02 pm

Dollaz wrote:
jetlagz28 wrote:Think about where you would like to practice. Where you would want to spend the next three years of your life. They all have their ups and downs and have similar placement in their perspective geographic pecking orders.

So i guess Im asking: which of the benefits I have outlined for the three choices outweigh the other two?

Debt to future likely income ratio.

American is in the federal hub, yes, but go take a look at the USAjobs website or wherever they keep the attorney job listings and see if the requirements for the lowest paying federal attorney jobs are qualifications you will meet or exceed the second you graduate and pass the bar.

From what I've been reading, they want experience, and they like to see biglaw experience, which means you would need to go to a school with significant biglaw placement to get the experience the feds want.

I don't know that your current fed work will matter if it's not professional level, related to the law you want to practice for the feds, or related to law at all. What do you do?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”