URM status? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Mr. Matlock

Silver

Re: URM status?

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue May 11, 2010 11:04 pm

Nightrunner wrote: For the record, that person is not Native.
Damn.... Honestly, that bums me out. :(

TexasDemocrat

New

Post by TexasDemocrat » Tue May 11, 2010 11:05 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
TexasDemocrat wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote: Image
I see a remarkable resemblance.
For the record, that person is not Native.
I realize he's an actor. I thought you were posting this photo because of my avatar.

TheCheerfulPessimist

New

Post by TheCheerfulPessimist » Tue May 11, 2010 11:05 pm

OP, do you intend on contributing to the Native community while in law school or with your legal degree? Identifying as NA and then taking your education and giving back to the community is one thing, but identifying solely for the boost without a thought of the other NA students whose seat you might be taking is quite another.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue May 11, 2010 11:08 pm

TheCheerfulPessimist wrote:OP, do you intend on contributing to the Native community while in law school or with your legal degree? Identifying as NA and then taking your education and giving back to the community is one thing, but identifying solely for the boost without a thought of the other NA students whose seat you might be taking is quite another.
If it doesn't bother NR, it doesn't bother me. After Northwestern fucked him over with the no scholly offer, I don't think NA URM boost works for shit anyways.

TheCheerfulPessimist

New

Post by TheCheerfulPessimist » Tue May 11, 2010 11:10 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
TheCheerfulPessimist wrote:OP, do you intend on contributing to the Native community while in law school or with your legal degree? Identifying as NA and then taking your education and giving back to the community is one thing, but identifying solely for the boost without a thought of the other NA students whose seat you might be taking is quite another.
If it doesn't bother NR, it doesn't bother me. After Northwestern fucked him over with the no scholly offer, I don't think NA URM boost works for shit anyways.
I dunno, it's just the principle of the thing that gets to me a little.

TexasDemocrat

New

Post by TexasDemocrat » Tue May 11, 2010 11:14 pm

TheCheerfulPessimist wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
Principle of things?

So it's fair that Blacks and Native Americans can get into better schools with lower GPAs and LSAT scores then a white kid would need to qualify? I disagree. I only want to check the NA box because they could give my spot to someone else who does check it (with lower numbers than me). The diversity statement is taking it a little far, because really I don't have much to say and I'm not going to make shit up, obviously. The point being, merit is merit no matter what your bloodlines are.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue May 11, 2010 11:18 pm

TexasDemocrat wrote: So it's fair that Blacks and Native Americans can get into better schools with lower GPAs and LSAT scores then a white kid would need to qualify? I disagree. I only want to check the NA box because they could give my spot to someone else who does check it (with lower numbers than me). The diversity statement is taking it a little far, because really I don't have much to say and I'm not going to make shit up, obviously. The point being, merit is merit no matter what your bloodlines are.
FIGHT THE POWER GIRL!!!!!!

You rock!!

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:23 pm

TexasDemocrat wrote:Principle of things?

So it's fair that Blacks and Native Americans can get into better schools with lower GPAs and LSAT scores then a white kid would need to qualify? I disagree. I only want to check the NA box because they could give my spot to someone else who does check it (with lower numbers than me). The diversity statement is taking it a little far, because really I don't have much to say and I'm not going to make shit up, obviously. The point being, merit is merit no matter what your bloodlines are.

Anyone else think its funny that OP intends to benefit from the same initiative she disparages?

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:25 pm

So is this how Texan Democrats think :roll:
Last edited by hiromoto45 on Tue May 11, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TexasDemocrat

New

Post by TexasDemocrat » Tue May 11, 2010 11:26 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:

Anyone else think its funny that OP intends to benefit from the same initiative she disparages?
I just said why I intend to. They'll let someone else in with lower numbers than me who does check it, if I don't. Do I think it's fair? No. I shouldn't have to worry about checking a box on my application to get into my school of choice.

TexasDemocrat

New

Post by TexasDemocrat » Tue May 11, 2010 11:27 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:

What does being democrat have to do with this? I don't have to be liberal on every issue. College admissions should be based on academics, not color.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue May 11, 2010 11:28 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:

Well, considering how whacked out their Republicans are, that really doesn't surprise me.

TexasDemocrat

New

Post by TexasDemocrat » Tue May 11, 2010 11:30 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:

Whatever. You're taking what I'm saying out of context. I never said it was a minorities fault. I'm just saying that the bar shouldn't be set higher for someone because they're white and lower for someone who is black. You either have the numbers, or you don't.

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

New

Post by Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Tue May 11, 2010 11:32 pm

TexasDemocrat wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
Principle of things?

Yup... and after law school when you face close to zero obstacles towards reaching all of your law-related goals and having so much handed to you simply because you're a pretty blonde and that NA who had lower numbers than you, but clearly looks NA, whose spot you took faces said obstacles, I hope you feel good about this.
Last edited by Mrs. Jack Donaghy on Tue May 11, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TexasDemocrat

New

Post by TexasDemocrat » Tue May 11, 2010 11:39 pm

Mrs. Jack Donaghy wrote: Yup... and after law school when you face close to zero obstacles towards reaching all of your law-related goals and having so much handed to you simply because you're a pretty blonde and that NA who had lower numbers than you, but clearly looks NA, whose spot you took faces said obstacles, I hope you feel good about this.
WTF?

Yes, I get everything handed to me for being blonde.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:41 pm

TexasDemocrat wrote:I just said why I intend to. They'll let someone else in with lower numbers than me who does check it, if I don't. Do I think it's fair? No. I shouldn't have to worry about checking a box on my application to get into my school of choice.
If you feel so strongly about it, you could always up your LSAT and GPA as much as you can and then choose not to identify as a URM. There are people who do this...I just think you're being a hypocrite right now. You're basically saying, " I hate this system because people don't get in on their own merit, but if I don't partake in it I won't get into my top choice school." You don't see the issue with that? Seriously?

...And you completely missed the point of Ms. Donaghy's post.
Last edited by 20121109 on Tue May 11, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:41 pm

TexasDemocrat wrote:
Mrs. Jack Donaghy wrote: Yup... and after law school when you face close to zero obstacles towards reaching all of your law-related goals and having so much handed to you simply because you're a pretty blonde and that NA who had lower numbers than you, but clearly looks NA, whose spot you took faces said obstacles, I hope you feel good about this.
WTF?

Yes, I get everything handed to me for being blonde.
That's a stretch.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:45 pm

Although I have my misgivings about the URM boost I think OP is missing the point of it. Its not just to get a couple kids who will bring Lil Wayne cds to the 1L house party. There are documented socio economic disadvantages in this country that come with being URM and so adcomms give applicants the benefit of the doubt that had they been given the same opportunities as your blonde self they would have equivalent numbers. I'm not saying the system isn't flawed (because it very much is) but your reasons for checking the URM box are in a word: silly.

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Tue May 11, 2010 11:48 pm

so what schools does the OP want to go to?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue May 11, 2010 11:50 pm

TexasDemocrat wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
Principle of things?

Listen...umm (sorry had to scroll up) Texas Democrat.

You have the right to check whatever you would like and write whatever false/true/stretch of a diversity statement you want. Really, its your choice. Your family clearly has some "tangible or verifable" tie to the Native American community. But don't turn this conversation into a "well someone else will just check the box and take my seat" conversation. Realistically, adcomms select people who they believe will succeed in law school. If you weren't that person without the check, you certainly won't be just because you attached Native American to your application. Just ask the minorities who don't get in ANYWHERE.

So, check Native American be prepared with your fathers ID thing and tribal affiliation. Have fun and hope that I answered your question.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:52 pm

TexasDemocrat wrote:I just said why I intend to. They'll let someone else in with lower numbers than me who does check it, if I don't. Do I think it's fair? No. I shouldn't have to worry about checking a box on my application to get into my school of choice.
If you feel so strongly about it, you could always up your LSAT and GPA as much as you can and then choose not identify as a URM. There are people who do this...I just think you're being a hypocrite right now. You're basically saying, " I hate this system because people don't get in on their own merit, but if I don't partake in it I won't get into my top choice school." You don't see the issue with that? Seriously?

I think the point is she doesn't agree with the system, so she's going to neutralize it as best she can.

And, OP, as I've said in other threads, if you can document your NA heritage, you absolutely have the right to use it. Bleeding heart types will try to guilt trip you into thinking that it's unethical. IMO it's a waste not to use a qualification as long as you meet the requirements for it.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:01 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
If you feel so strongly about it, you could always up your LSAT and GPA as much as you can and then choose not identify as a URM. There are people who do this...I just think you're being a hypocrite right now. You're basically saying, " I hate this system because people don't get in on their own merit, but if I don't partake in it I won't get into my top choice school." You don't see the issue with that? Seriously?

I think the point is she doesn't agree with the system, so she's going to neutralize it as best she can.
Really doesn't take away from the hypocrisy, honey. But w/e...she can do what she wants.

<3

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:06 am

d34dluk3 wrote:I think the point is she doesn't agree with the system, so she's going to neutralize it as best she can.
Really doesn't take away from the hypocrisy, honey. But w/e...she can do what she wants.

<3
Is civil disobedience hypocrisy?

I know this isn't civil disobedience, but it seems similar to me on an abstract level: ignoring the rules because you believe in something different.

And I don't think what she's doing is hypocritical. If other people are profiting from an unfair system, is it "hypocritical" to profit also? Do you have to stand impotently on the sidelines whining about the unfair system or do you step in and neutralize the inequity?

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:08 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:I think the point is she doesn't agree with the system, so she's going to neutralize it as best she can.

<3
Is civil disobedience hypocrisy?

I know this isn't civil disobedience, but it seems similar to me on an abstract level: ignoring the rules because you believe in something different.

And I don't think what she's doing is hypocritical. If other people are profiting from an unfair system, is it "hypocritical" to profit also? Do you have to stand impotently on the sidelines whining about the unfair system or do you step in and neutralize the inequity?
Oh wow, you're really serious about this aren't you? lol...shame I'm not.

<3

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:10 am

Its not neutralization if you are simply taking advantage of an awkward situation. And anyway I was under the impression that to get the NA boost you must show a connection to that background. Oh well, its a mad, mad world.

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”