URM status?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
TexasDemocrat
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:30 am

URM status?

Postby TexasDemocrat » Tue May 11, 2010 3:04 am

Can I claim URM status if my grandmother is Native American and my grandfather is half Native American? My dad is essentially 3/4 Native American.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: URM status?

Postby 20121109 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:11 am

You seem to be Native American "enough"....But, this isn't the first time you're claiming that you're Native American, right? 'Cause if you've been saying you're white for every other past application , it will come back to haunt you for C&F when you apply for the Bar.

TexasDemocrat
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:30 am

Re: URM status?

Postby TexasDemocrat » Tue May 11, 2010 4:00 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:You seem to be Native American "enough"....But, this isn't the first time you're claiming that you're Native American, right? 'Cause if you've been saying you're white for every other past application, it will come back to haunt you for C&F when you apply for the Bar.


I'm almost 100% positive my UG app was marked Caucasian & Native American. I mean, even if the bar did seem to think that I've marked Caucasian for everything up until this point, isn't enough if I have a tribal card? I usually mark Caucasian on everything unless the option is there to select more than one box. In that case, I mark both C & NA.

User avatar
booby87
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: URM status?

Postby booby87 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:10 am

TexasDemocrat wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:You seem to be Native American "enough"....But, this isn't the first time you're claiming that you're Native American, right? 'Cause if you've been saying you're white for every other past application, it will come back to haunt you for C&F when you apply for the Bar.


I'm almost 100% positive my UG app was marked Caucasian & Native American. I mean, even if the bar did seem to think that I've marked Caucasian for everything up until this point, isn't enough if I have a tribal card? I usually mark Caucasian on everything unless the option is there to select more than one box. In that case, I mark both C & NA.

Then mark C & NA. The ability to mark multiple boxes is very new in most settings so that would be a pretty simple explanation...oh the joys of being mixed :roll:

anyways I don't think just checking the box will do you much good unless you pair it with a good diversity statement. If your background has affected your perception/experiences (I'm sure it has) make sure you talk about it! Best of luck :D

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: URM status?

Postby calicocat » Tue May 11, 2010 4:26 am

*grabs popcorn*

*waits patiently for nightrunner and waterman*

TexasDemocrat
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:30 am

Re: URM status?

Postby TexasDemocrat » Tue May 11, 2010 4:31 am

calicocat wrote:*grabs popcorn*

*waits patiently for nightrunner and waterman*


Really? If you don't have anything to contribute or won't answer my question, why post?

The people on this forum are rude when it's unnecessary.

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: URM status?

Postby calicocat » Tue May 11, 2010 4:35 am

TexasDemocrat wrote:
calicocat wrote:*grabs popcorn*

*waits patiently for nightrunner and waterman*


Really? If you don't have anything to contribute or won't answer my question, why post?

The people on this forum are rude when it's unnecessary.

I know, it's truly horrible.

I will contribute. You should definitely show how your status as a Native American affected your life by writing a kick ass diversity statement. Just checking the box might not give you as big of a boost as that in conjunction with a good statement.

TexasDemocrat
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:30 am

Re: URM status?

Postby TexasDemocrat » Tue May 11, 2010 4:41 am

calicocat wrote:
TexasDemocrat wrote:
calicocat wrote:*grabs popcorn*

*waits patiently for nightrunner and waterman*


Really? If you don't have anything to contribute or won't answer my question, why post?

The people on this forum are rude when it's unnecessary.

I know, it's truly horrible.

I will contribute. You should definitely show how your status as a Native American affected your life by writing a kick ass diversity statement. Just checking the box might not give you as big of a boost as that in conjunction with a good statement.


Thanks for the advice. As for the diversity statement, I really don't where to start. My family acts like any other white family, IMO. They're just not very steeped in tradition at all. I'll have to think long and hard about how to swing this.

User avatar
Lonagan
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: URM status?

Postby Lonagan » Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:You seem to be Native American "enough"....But, this isn't the first time you're claiming that you're Native American, right? 'Cause if you've been saying you're white for every other past application , it will come back to haunt you for C&F when you apply for the Bar.


Would it? If [strike]he[/strike]she is part Caucasian and part Native American isn't [strike]he[/strike]she being truthful if [strike]he[/strike]she says either?
Last edited by Lonagan on Tue May 11, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: URM status?

Postby trialjunky » Tue May 11, 2010 7:47 am

My friend is native american and white. She wrote a kick ass DS about her experience in social studies in elementary school where they taught her about NA and the pilgrims. She talked about identifying with both sides because she was mixed and how she was confused that the two sides of her were fighting. It was FRICKEN awesome and she pulled it out of her ass. When I get home, I'll see if I still have a copy of it and I'll pm you it (op).

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: URM status?

Postby merichard87 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:01 am

It seems like you have enough blood to be labeled Native American but if you say your family is just like any other "white" family what type of diversity are you truly bringing to a law school? I said that to say this: you will probably be looked at as another white applicant if you don't actually have any connection to the NA side of you.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: URM status?

Postby 20121109 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:58 am

Lonagan wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:You seem to be Native American "enough"....But, this isn't the first time you're claiming that you're Native American, right? 'Cause if you've been saying you're white for every other past application , it will come back to haunt you for C&F when you apply for the Bar.


Would it? If he is part Caucasian and part Native American isn't he being truthful if he says either?


All I'm saying is that its best for OP to remain consistent with how he identifies himself. It may not be applicable in this case, but you'll be surprised at the amount of people who suddenly decide they're a URM.

<3

User avatar
llama11
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:42 am

Re: URM status?

Postby llama11 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:23 am

TexasDemocrat wrote:
calicocat wrote:*grabs popcorn*

*waits patiently for nightrunner and waterman*


Really? If you don't have anything to contribute or won't answer my question, why post?

The people on this forum are rude when it's unnecessary.



People might be 'rude' because there are simple search functions as well as stickies. A little search and reading could have given you the answer without starting another one of these threads. If NA status has had a significant impact on your life, go for it. Otherwise, don't be disingenuous.

Edit: Thought I'd add a little more. I don't mean to sound rude myself but it's a little annoying to see this so often. People with a very tenuous connection to NA culture/community/ancestry asking if they should claim it now. It sounds like you are not far-removed in terms of ancestry, yet you yourself state that your family is pretty much like any other white family (I get what you're saying but maybe think about the implications of that). This also makes it harder for an NA like myself that actually has a strong connection to NA community (i.e. I live and work on a rez, work for a tribal government serving an NA population, I've identified that way my entire life, it has deeply affected my worldview, socio-economic status, enrolled in a tribe, all 4 grandparents enrolled, made to feel like Native culture poster-boy in school/college as in I'm the go-to guy of my friends when it comes to all things Native etc).

Just sayin.

TexasDemocrat
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:30 am

Re: URM status?

Postby TexasDemocrat » Tue May 11, 2010 2:59 pm

trialjunky wrote:My friend is native american and white. She wrote a kick ass DS about her experience in social studies in elementary school where they taught her about NA and the pilgrims. She talked about identifying with both sides because she was mixed and how she was confused that the two sides of her were fighting. It was FRICKEN awesome and she pulled it out of her ass. When I get home, I'll see if I still have a copy of it and I'll pm you it (op).


Now that you mention it, I think I do have something I could talk about during my summer when I was like... 10? I didn't realize going back that far would be enough. I thought I'd need to talk about some more recent experiences.

TexasDemocrat
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:30 am

Re: URM status?

Postby TexasDemocrat » Tue May 11, 2010 3:01 pm

merichard87 wrote:It seems like you have enough blood to be labeled Native American but if you say your family is just like any other "white" family what type of diversity are you truly bringing to a law school? I said that to say this: you will probably be looked at as another white applicant if you don't actually have any connection to the NA side of you.


I'm a pasty white girl. I just want the URM boost, obviously. If I have it, why not use it? I never planned on putting that I'm solely NA on my application.

TexasDemocrat
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:30 am

Re: URM status?

Postby TexasDemocrat » Tue May 11, 2010 3:03 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Lonagan wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:You seem to be Native American "enough"....But, this isn't the first time you're claiming that you're Native American, right? 'Cause if you've been saying you're white for every other past application , it will come back to haunt you for C&F when you apply for the Bar.


Would it? If he is part Caucasian and part Native American isn't he being truthful if he says either?


All I'm saying is that its best for OP to remain consistent with how he identifies himself. It may not be applicable in this case, but you'll be surprised at the amount of people who suddenly decide they're a URM.

<3


I plan on putting both, which is truthful.

User avatar
r2b2ct
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:33 pm

Re: URM status?

Postby r2b2ct » Tue May 11, 2010 6:40 pm

What did you and your family mark on the census? I'm not saying it is pertinent, but I think it might be telling because for the census there is nothing to be gained by identifying as a minority.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: URM status?

Postby merichard87 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:10 pm

At first I only considered OP's question silly but now I'm getting annoyed. If you are white, be white! If you want to be NA or any URM be that, but take the prejudice, socio-economic disadvantages and distorted view of your own history to go with it. I understand that you truly have the NA bloodline OP but for all intents and purposes you are white, own that.
Last edited by merichard87 on Tue May 11, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Joan Hollaway
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: URM status?

Postby Joan Hollaway » Tue May 11, 2010 10:13 pm

TexasDemocrat wrote:
merichard87 wrote:It seems like you have enough blood to be labeled Native American but if you say your family is just like any other "white" family what type of diversity are you truly bringing to a law school? I said that to say this: you will probably be looked at as another white applicant if you don't actually have any connection to the NA side of you.


I'm a pasty white girl. I just want the URM boost, obviously. If I have it, why not use it? I never planned on putting that I'm solely NA on my application.


calicocat wrote:*grabs popcorn*

*waits patiently for nightrunner and waterman*

User avatar
Bert
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: URM status?

Postby Bert » Tue May 11, 2010 10:18 pm

merichard87 wrote:I understand that you truly have the NA bloodline OP but for all intents and purposes you are white


+1 (as corrected)

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: URM status?

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue May 11, 2010 10:19 pm

TexasDemocrat wrote:
merichard87 wrote:It seems like you have enough blood to be labeled Native American but if you say your family is just like any other "white" family what type of diversity are you truly bringing to a law school? I said that to say this: you will probably be looked at as another white applicant if you don't actually have any connection to the NA side of you.


I'm a pasty white girl. I just want the URM boost, obviously. If I have it, why not use it? I never planned on putting that I'm solely NA on my application.

Image

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: URM status?

Postby merichard87 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:23 pm

Bert wrote:
merichard87 wrote:I understand that you truly have the NA bloodline OP but for all intents and purposes you are white


+1 (as corrected)


Corrected.

TexasDemocrat
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:30 am

Re: URM status?

Postby TexasDemocrat » Tue May 11, 2010 10:57 pm

Nightrunner wrote:OP, are you or your father tribally enrolled? That will help/hurt a good deal.


My dad is.

TexasDemocrat
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:30 am

Re: URM status?

Postby TexasDemocrat » Tue May 11, 2010 10:58 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
TexasDemocrat wrote:
merichard87 wrote:It seems like you have enough blood to be labeled Native American but if you say your family is just like any other "white" family what type of diversity are you truly bringing to a law school? I said that to say this: you will probably be looked at as another white applicant if you don't actually have any connection to the NA side of you.


I'm a pasty white girl. I just want the URM boost, obviously. If I have it, why not use it? I never planned on putting that I'm solely NA on my application.

Image


I see a remarkable resemblance.

TexasDemocrat
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:30 am

Re: URM status?

Postby TexasDemocrat » Tue May 11, 2010 11:02 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
TexasDemocrat wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:OP, are you or your father tribally enrolled? That will help/hurt a good deal.


My dad is.


As the child of an enrolled Native American, you are absolutely eligible to check both boxes. Just do me a favor: don't go getting all crazy cultural in the time it takes to write your Diversity Statement; just be who you are, and good luck.


I never intended to "pretend" to come from a family that is heavily steeped in Native American traditions. My only question here was really if I could select both boxes on the application then others suggested writing a diversity statement - which I may or may not do.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests