State School- Low GPA- Decent LSAT- LGBT

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
sfgiantsfan

State School- Low GPA- Decent LSAT- LGBT

Postby sfgiantsfan » Tue May 04, 2010 1:57 pm

I have a horrible gpa. 2.9 (3.3 upper division) from an average CSU school. I have scored a 160 on the LSAT but am going to take it again and hopefully pull a little higher score. I did do collegiate sports though and had a pretty good career. Juggling school and sports was hard and any former Division I athlete can relate. I'm a white female and have not had to overcome anything tragic or major adversity. However, I am gay so I am considered diverse and it was hard to face growing up. I have always been told I am the smartest person in my family and to be honest... nothing has ever been hard enough for me to really apply myself. That being sad- law school is what I want and need to succeed. I have several questions:

1. I really want to go to USF- how do you think my chances are?
2. I want to include LGBT in my application process but do not know if I should include it in my personal statement or diversity statement.

I am a very good writer- journalism major- so I know I can produce a good personal statement and diversity statement.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

legalized

Re: State School- Low GPA- Decent LSAT- LGBT

Postby legalized » Tue May 04, 2010 2:39 pm

sfgiantsfan wrote:I have a horrible gpa. 2.9 (3.3 upper division) from an average CSU school. I have scored a 160 on the LSAT but am going to take it again and hopefully pull a little higher score. I did do collegiate sports though and had a pretty good career. Juggling school and sports was hard and any former Division I athlete can relate. I'm a white female and have not had to overcome anything tragic or major adversity. However, I am gay so I am considered diverse and it was hard to face growing up. I have always been told I am the smartest person in my family and to be honest... nothing has ever been hard enough for me to really apply myself. That being sad- law school is what I want and need to succeed. I have several questions:

2. I want to include LGBT in my application process but do not know if I should include it in my personal statement or diversity statement.

I am a very good writer- journalism major- so I know I can produce a good personal statement and diversity statement.

1. See the link I posted from the LSAC...being a URM doesn't necessarily mean having a problem/adverse type of life (I think that way too, not saying anything about you)...so yes you "count"as diverse, although not as a URM. lol

2. But i would say your understanding of living with a fact of your life that the majority finds unpleasant or has made unwelcome should play into either the PS or the diversity statement...but I personally think the division I FEMALE athlete angle is sounding more original and pleasant (based on popular bias) all around...and I have heard that non-top ranked schools prefer safe PS's, not the risky ones. Unless your sexual preference is directly related to why you chose to go into law, I don't know that it should be the main point of your PS.

If more experienced applicants/former applicants tell you different, go with what they say...but I have been researching a LOT on all aspects of this app process, plus my instincts are proving pretty good thus far on the parts I don't have facts for.

3. Why USF? What about their stats appeals to you that higher ranked UF or higher regarded UMiami can't give you?

Feynman

Postby Feynman » Tue May 04, 2010 2:49 pm

I always thought "diversity" points were given to URMs. Gays are not under-represented in law school. That said, the experiences you've had can factor in to the admission decision. I am sure a properly crafted personal statement on a LGBT topic would be helpful.

gilagarta

Postby gilagarta » Tue May 04, 2010 2:57 pm

I do think you should highlight being LGBT in your personal statement or diversity statement. I would think that any school that wouldn't want a diverse LGBT student isn't the type of school you'd want to go to. The question is how much of a role you being LGBT has played in you wanting to go to law school. If it's one of the major factors, I'd say include it in your personal statement. If it's just a secondary factor (or not at all), put it in the diversity statement. Your personal statement should highlight whatever factor in your life has most defined you - so only you can decide if that should have something to do with being LGBT. I would also think that USF by virtue of it's location would be pretty gay-friendly.

I'm straight, but my personal statement mentioned my work with the LGBT community because it's been a major factor in developing my interest in law. It worked for me. :)

JayTal

Postby JayTal » Tue May 04, 2010 3:04 pm

gilagarta wrote:I do think you should highlight being LGBT in your personal statement or diversity statement. I would think that any school that wouldn't want a diverse LGBT student isn't the type of school you'd want to go to.

Thats what I did. I figured I wouldn't want to go and give $120,000 to a school that wouldn't accept me being open about who I am. So I tailored my personal statement around being LGBT, and in my opinion, it gave me a boost at schools that value such diversity and precluded me from schools that didn't value such diversity (ie, I am the only applicant on LSN that was rejected from Georgetown in an otherwise sea of yellow dots). :D

Feynman

Postby Feynman » Tue May 04, 2010 3:06 pm

JayTal wrote:
gilagarta wrote:I do think you should highlight being LGBT in your personal statement or diversity statement. I would think that any school that wouldn't want a diverse LGBT student isn't the type of school you'd want to go to.

Thats what I did. I figured I wouldn't want to go and give $120,000 to a school that wouldn't accept me being open about who I am. So I tailored my personal statement around being LGBT, and in my opinion, it gave me a boost at schools that value such diversity and precluded me from schools that didn't value such diversity (ie, I am the only applicant on LSN that was rejected from Georgetown in an otherwise sea of yellow dots). :D

LOL at all you people that think being gay-friendly or gay makes you "diverse" in the legal world.

RickyRoe

Postby RickyRoe » Tue May 04, 2010 3:11 pm

Feynman wrote:
JayTal wrote:

LOL at all you people that think being gay-friendly or gay makes you "diverse" in the legal world.

Especially at the University of San Francisco, which is where the OP wants to go.

JayTal

Postby JayTal » Tue May 04, 2010 3:12 pm

Feynman wrote:
JayTal wrote:

Who said anything about it counting as diversity in the legal world? ITT people give the OP advice on how he can tailor his PS to his advantage.

Feynman

Postby Feynman » Tue May 04, 2010 3:20 pm

JayTal wrote:
Feynman wrote:
JayTal wrote:

Who said anything about it counting as diversity? ITT people give the OP advice on how he can tailor his PS to his advantage.

About every post on this thread uses the term "diversity" to describe LGBT status. Being gay is not something unique or special in the legal world. I am not saying it is inappropriate to include in a personal statement or as part of your application in some way, especially if it plays an important role in your decision to attend law school. But pretending that being for gay rights adds to a law school's diversity is stupid. Not that it won't work on an admission committee.

Feynman

Postby Feynman » Tue May 04, 2010 3:26 pm

Especially at the University of San Francisco, which is where the OP wants to go.

People like this enjoy thinking of themselves as something special when in fact they are pretty conformist as far as law school goes. However, I must say, as illogical as it is to count being gay as "diversity," most admissions committees would probably agree with the OP.

My advice would echo some advice already expressed in this thread: Include your experiences insofar as they have influenced your character or decision to attend law school.

sfgiantsfan

Postby sfgiantsfan » Tue May 04, 2010 6:18 pm

WOW! thanks for all the replies...

i never said i was a URM applicant- i am a white female. but my question about including my sexuality in my ps or diversity statement seemed a better fit for this forum compared to the main forum.

i definitely would like to include my sexuality because- like one of the replies said- i dont want to go to a school that doesn't want me.

but i think it's wiser for me to put it into a diversity statement---

what do you guys think? is 2.9 gpa and 160 lsat, white female, gay, former Division I athelete enough to get me into the University of San Francisco? USF is very gay-friendly from what I have heard/read.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue May 04, 2010 6:54 pm

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com

you're a consider at USF.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue May 04, 2010 10:08 pm

Feynman

Postby Feynman » Wed May 05, 2010 12:59 am

The URM forum isn't for these types of debates.

She isn't a URM--gays are not under-represented. I think it's appropriate to mention that fact. Seems like a great person, and I wish her the best.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed May 05, 2010 1:08 am

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed May 05, 2010 2:57 am

sfgiantsfan wrote:I have a horrible gpa. 2.9 (3.3 upper division) from an average CSU school. I have scored a 160 on the LSAT but am going to take it again and hopefully pull a little higher score. I did do collegiate sports though and had a pretty good career. Juggling school and sports was hard and any former Division I athlete can relate. I'm a white female and have not had to overcome anything tragic or major adversity. However, I am gay so I am considered diverse and it was hard to face growing up. I have always been told I am the smartest person in my family and to be honest... nothing has ever been hard enough for me to really apply myself. That being sad- law school is what I want and need to succeed. I have several questions:

sfgiantsfan

Postby sfgiantsfan » Wed May 05, 2010 11:37 am

"but I personally think the division I FEMALE athlete angle is sounding more original and pleasant (based on popular bias) all around"

Thanks Legalized--

do you think there are less female division 1 athletes that apply for law school versus gays? would it be suggested i take this angle in my personal statement? and save the sexuality for diversity statement?

gilagarta

Postby gilagarta » Fri May 07, 2010 12:09 pm

JayTal wrote:So I tailored my personal statement around being LGBT, and in my opinion, it gave me a boost at schools that value such diversity and precluded me from schools that didn't value such diversity (ie, I am the only applicant on LSN that was rejected from Georgetown in an otherwise sea of yellow dots). :D

Not the only...me, too! Guess we know where Georgetown stands :D

Feynman

Postby Feynman » Fri May 07, 2010 10:31 pm

gilagarta wrote:
JayTal wrote:So I tailored my personal statement around being LGBT, and in my opinion, it gave me a boost at schools that value such diversity and precluded me from schools that didn't value such diversity (ie, I am the only applicant on LSN that was rejected from Georgetown in an otherwise sea of yellow dots). :D

Not the only...me, too! Guess we know where Georgetown stands :D

Against people who claim "diversity" when they are not under-represented? Probably. ;)

I kid, I kid.

Suprising with your numbers (from your profile). Maybe there is something to your suspicions, though I would be surprised if it were the case.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”