T>GL>B?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

T>GL>B?

Postby PlugInBaby » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:40 pm

Often I read that LGBT applicants won't get that much of a signifigant boost in terms of their likelihood of admission. I agree for that as a whole that is most likely true but what I am very skeptical about is whether the groups within the group get equal consideration. To me it makes more sense that a transgender applicant, part of a segment of society which still face a strong onslaught of misconceptions and bigotry, would get a greater boost than a bisexual applicant who has the aegis of heterosexuality to whether the storm of discrimination. I would imagine gays and lesbians to be somewhere in between.

I do not have any empirical evidence to support this assertion so feel free to correct me if i am way off base here.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: T>GL>B?

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed May 05, 2010 6:56 pm

.
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: T>GL>B?

Postby vanwinkle » Wed May 05, 2010 7:06 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:Often I read that LGBT applicants won't get that much of a signifigant boost in terms of their likelihood of admission. I agree for that as a whole that is most likely true but what I am very skeptical about is whether the groups within the group get equal consideration. To me it makes more sense that a transgender applicant, part of a segment of society which still face a strong onslaught of misconceptions and bigotry, would get a greater boost than a bisexual applicant who has the aegis of heterosexuality to whether the storm of discrimination. I would imagine gays and lesbians to be somewhere in between.

I do not have any empirical evidence to support this assertion so feel free to correct me if i am way off base here.

Image

Tautology
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: T>GL>B?

Postby Tautology » Wed May 05, 2010 7:22 pm

Bisexuals are often ostracized by both the gay and straight communities. I agree that transgenders probably face the most discrimination. None of that, of course, has anything to do with how well they are represented in law school, which as I understand it is what is most important for the purposes of boosting one's admissions chances.

Mr. Pablo
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:21 pm

Re: T>GL>B?

Postby Mr. Pablo » Wed May 05, 2010 7:32 pm

If you were an adcomm how would you rank them? Really, it's about the numbers, and after that it comes down to the personal tastes of the person reading your application. You may as well just guess, I doubt there could be conclusive assertions about this in terms of the whole of law school admissions committees.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: T>GL>B?

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed May 05, 2010 7:43 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:If you were an adcomm how would you rank them?



Lesbians > everything else.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: T>GL>B?

Postby romothesavior » Wed May 05, 2010 7:45 pm

hombredulce wrote:
Mr. Pablo wrote:If you were an adcomm how would you rank them?



Hot Lesbians (and bisexuals) > everything else.


ftfy

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: T>GL>B?

Postby Kohinoor » Wed May 05, 2010 8:18 pm

romothesavior wrote:
hombredulce wrote:
Mr. Pablo wrote:If you were an adcomm how would you rank them?



Hot Lesbians (and bisexuals) > everything else.


ftfy

/thread

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: T>GL>B?

Postby 270910 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:49 pm

That OP begs for memeing, but I feel like doing it in the URM forum is a party foul no matter how flamey the OP is...

User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

Re: T>GL>B?

Postby PlugInBaby » Wed May 05, 2010 8:58 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:Often I read that LGBT applicants won't get that much of a signifigant boost in terms of their likelihood of admission. I agree for that as a whole that is most likely true but what I am very skeptical about is whether the groups within the group get equal consideration. To me it makes more sense that a transgender applicant, part of a segment of society which still face a strong onslaught of misconceptions and bigotry, would get a greater boost than a bisexual applicant who has the aegis of heterosexuality to whether the storm of discrimination. I would imagine gays and lesbians to be somewhere in between.

I do not have any empirical evidence to support this assertion so feel free to correct me if i am way off base here.

Image


It was an honest to goodness query. I realized that such speculation may upset people, but I felt that I was a question worth asking.

FTR I am bisexual myself and I expect absolutely no consideration of it as a diversity soft from any adcomm.

User avatar
glowhard
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: T>GL>B?

Postby glowhard » Wed May 05, 2010 9:13 pm

the only school i know of that actually asks is penn. and the question was something like "do you self-identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender?" so from that, there could be no difference. because there's no way of knowing. i guess people could self-identify in their personal statements if it was relevant to why they want to go to law school, but i think this focus would be treated like any other "soft." i've also read that lgbt status has no effect on chance of admission (like, adcomms said this... wish i could find a link).




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests