How does GWU fair on the west coast?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
giraffe28

How does GWU fair on the west coast?

Postby giraffe28 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:46 am

I'm from California, potentially looking to practice california, and GWU is essentially the "best" school I have gotten into so far- aside from waitlists. I am very interested in international law, in particular topics pertaining to human rights so DC would be a great place for my education and I know I love the area. If I were to potentially want to return back to CA, would a law degree from GWU be strong enough over here? I don't necessarily wanna work in the traditional big law firms, I see myself going more in the direction of PI or government work.

Always Credited

Re: How does GWU fair on the west coast?

Postby Always Credited » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:48 am

giraffe28 wrote:I'm from California, potentially looking to practice california, and GWU is essentially the "best" school I have gotten into so far- aside from waitlists. I am very interested in international law, in particular topics pertaining to human rights so DC would be a great place for my education and I know I love the area. If I were to potentially want to return back to CA, would a law degree from GWU be strong enough over here? I don't necessarily wanna work in the traditional big law firms, I see myself going more in the direction of PI or government work.

Not well, TBH. Unless you can pick up a government job through superior grades and networking, I don't see any avenues to Cali.

im_blue

Re: How does GWU fair on the west coast?

Postby im_blue » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:01 pm

If you want CA, you should go to USC, Davis, or Hastings, which should all be targets for a GW admit.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”