Current URM students taking Q's

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
phoenix323

Re: Current AA URM student taking Q's

Postby phoenix323 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:04 pm

Joan Samuel Marat wrote:
phoenix323 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:How well did you do after your first semester?

Well enough to not kill myself.

This is not really an answer. Median? Top 1/3? Top 10%?

This is stupid stupid dumb question. The lady says she is URM in first post. Bottom 1/3. Duh.

Kindly DIAF.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:04 pm

kareenak888 wrote:if your a URM but not into that whole BLSA thing is that a problem?

Are all the URM's very active in BLSA? Or do people do their own thing? I mean is it okay to do your own thing?

You dictate your level of participation. There are definitely people who do not participate in BLSA as an organization. It is not inherently problematic in any way. I'm sure you can see the difference between 'I'm not in BLSA because I'm not in BLSA' and 'I'm not in BLSA because I hate you guys.'

Joan Samuel Marat

Postby Joan Samuel Marat » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:06 pm

phoenix323 wrote:
Kindly DIAF.

you first, Phoenix. BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:06 pm

Hey another URM here. I'll answer some questions too if anyone has any.

Joan Samuel Marat

Postby Joan Samuel Marat » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:07 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Hey another URM here. I'll answer some questions too if anyone has any.

How glorious are those beignets?

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

Postby Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:08 pm

Joan Samuel Marat wrote:
phoenix323 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:How well did you do after your first semester?

Well enough to not kill myself.

This is not really an answer. Median? Top 1/3? Top 10%?

This is stupid stupid dumb question. The lady says she is URM in first post. Bottom 1/3. Duh.

Dumb dumb. Too bad no one asked you.

Joan Samuel Marat

Postby Joan Samuel Marat » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:09 pm

Mrs. Jack Donaghy wrote:I'm eccentric

No you not. You a dumb b.

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:13 pm

Joan Samuel Marat wrote:
Mrs. Jack Donaghy wrote:I'm eccentric

No you not. You a dumb b.

Ok, granted I did just tell this person to DIAF. But, maybe if we collectively ignore the troll, it will shrivel up and die.

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

Postby Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:16 pm

mistergoft wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:(Sorry, dude, but you know it's legit.)

But I don't follow football! Who is this man??

Someone more famous for his stunts (such as the "Getcha Popcorn Ready" one above) than his actual playing ability.

Insinuating that TO is more famous for his stunts than is playing ability is boarder line football blasphemy, imo. I mean, sure, he is a spectacle, but he is nonetheless an extremely talented player.

No, I don't have anything to offer to this thread, sorry.

Even though calling it nearing "blasphemy" is going a little too far, I must agree. If anything, T.O's stunts take away from his remarkable talent. Anyone who knows football knows that he acts up a little too much, but can deliver a solid performance any day.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:17 pm

I'm thinking it's the non-funny/racist version of Jean Manual Serrat. (sp?) A peculiar alt to say the least

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:17 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Hey another URM here. I'll answer some questions too if anyone has any.

Thanks for taking questions!

What year are you? Are you interested in firm or gov't work? Do you have summer work lined up and if so, how hard was it to find?

Any suggestions regarding study schedules, how not to burn out, etc?

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:18 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:I'm thinking it's the non-funny/racist version of Jean Manual Serrat. (sp?) A peculiar alt to say the least

I must concede the original JMS was a bit more creative, this troll isn't really delivering the stellar performance that I had anticipated thus far.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:37 pm

phoenix323 wrote:

Thanks for taking questions!

What year are you? Are you interested in firm or gov't work? Do you have summer work lined up and if so, how hard was it to find?

Any suggestions regarding study schedules, how not to burn out, etc?

1. 1L
2. I'm interested in in-house work. 0 interest in litigation with a massive interest in business law (business undergrad). The more I learn about firms, the less I like them (minimal job security with maximum stress combined with limited outlook [in Big firms]).
3. Yes. It was not that hard. Many of my peers, URM and otherwise, have found a vast array of jobs that I would have thought would have been impossible from the outlook of this website (Octagon Sports Management, NLJ 250s [including TX, NY and China], boutique firms in [LA, NY, CA, TX], many district courts, state courts, Dallas DA's, Houston DA's, etc. etc.)
4. Study schedules - get an outline for your professor from the prior year before the first day of class. However, definitely create your own outline. Make your outline as you do homework and then in class add things from the other outline to your outline that you may have missed or any indications of professor preferences (how the professor interprets things if he/she feels differently than the casebook).
5. Not to burn out - I burned out on studying in the library first semester (I spent around 4-6 hours every day - including weekends - there and it added up). I honestly study less now, but I study infinitely more efficiently. I'm far more comfortable with my courses at this point as compared to this point last semester.

conn09

Postby conn09 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:27 pm

1L from Harvard I'll take any questions as well

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:36 pm

How did you obtain your summer job?

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:39 pm

Thanks for taking questions. Did any of you prep during the summer before law school? There are many varying opinions about this on TLS, so any input would be helpful.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:48 pm

Thirteen wrote:Thanks for taking questions. Did any of you prep during the summer before law school? There are many varying opinions about this on TLS, so any input would be helpful.

*edit* I should note that I am also a urm 1L.

If it's ok with op, I'll put my two cents in as well.

With regards to 1L prep, I really think it is pretty useless (outside of leews, and maybe reading gtm). If you absolutely must do this, the one thing I would suggest, which is something I personally do now at the beginning of all my classes, is listen to the audio cd's on the subject. Yes they may cover things that your professor won't, but imo they allow you to recognize things a bit easier, and give you a nice broad picture of that area of the law. Additionally, they are usually only 5-10 hours long.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:49 pm

Thirteen wrote:Thanks for taking questions. Did any of you prep during the summer before law school? There are many varying opinions about this on TLS, so any input would be helpful.

I did read Getting to Maybe, a bit of some E&Es, and took the LEEWS course during the semester. I didn't find much value in any of it. LEEWS seems to be better tailored to much broader issue spotters than I've encountered and my professors seem to have active vitriol towards LEEWS analysis. GTM is not helpful in a vacuum and is probably inferior to sitting down with your professor and going over past exams you've completed. Prepping from E&Es is potentially harmful in the absence of a syllabus.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:50 pm

newyorker88 wrote:

How did you obtain your summer job?

I really wish I could go into the specifics of my summer job online but it would be far too obvious to everyone who I am (my summer job is in-house).

I was referred to the employer from someone I encountered before I entered law school (as I said before, I really really wish I could go into it but I can't).

*Off topic. I did manage to swing two interviews at OCIs. One wasn't promising at all, but the other one was. It didn't end with an offer but as a I stated in my earlier post, Big Law is not my ultimate goal.

I read Planet Law School 2 and read some of the E&E series. I, for some reason, do not really like them. I feel as though if you have a prior outline you will have a leg up. However once you know what courses you will be taking (along with the professors and the text books they offer), I very very very strongly recommend the legalines series. That series outlines the entire casebook in clear and concise terms, but it's case briefs aren't that great (for clarification purposes). For case briefs, I would recommend Casenote. I'm not recommending not doing your work, I'm simply suggesting some possible tools that could help you succeed - they may not be for everyone.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:51 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

I did read Getting to Maybe, a bit of some E&Es, and took the LEEWS course during the semester. I didn't find much value in any of it. LEEWS seems to be better tailored to much broader issue spotters than I've encountered and my professors seem to have active vitriol towards LEEWS analysis. GTM is not helpful in a vacuum and is probably inferior to sitting down with your professor and going over past exams you've completed. Prepping from E&Es is potentially harmful in the absence of a syllabus.

I agree. Leews did serve to calm me down about taking exams generally though. I also find I apply the approach in a sort of mini version in my head so that I make sure to "argue both sides."

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:55 pm

anything you wish you would've known going into 1L?

hubtubrub

Postby hubtubrub » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:00 pm

how did all you other urms distingush yourself from others during the whole entire job search process?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:02 pm

Oh I would suggest only buying the primer if you are considering LEEWS. The rest of it really is not worth it.

newyorker88 wrote:anything you wish you would've known going into 1L?

How exams are. However, that is something that is difficult to explain to 0Ls. Not because 0L's don't know anything-of course they do.

Saying that "you have to spot issues and argue both sides" sounds self explanatory, but it takes far more getting used to than you would imagine.

I would suggest starting as soon as possible on prior exams (probably around the beginning of November) because of that reason.

It's not necessarily difficult within itself. It's just different and students need to adjust.

Beyond that....I'm not really sure.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:06 pm

hubtubrub wrote:how did all you other urms distingush yourself from others during the whole entire job search process?

I think the biggest thing is to understand that your skin color isn't the only thing that makes you diverse.

Figure out what it is you do best, or how your unique experiences have shaped you, then emphasize that. It's really important to have a resume that tells the story you want it to tell about yourself.

With regards to exams, I think Aberzombie is right about practicing. The best way to do well on law school exams is to practice answering the types of questions that will be on law school exams.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:07 pm

hubtubrub wrote:how did all you other urms distingush yourself from others during the whole entire job search process?

Job experience.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”