Current URM students taking Q's Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Aqualibrium

Gold

Re: Current URM students taking Q's

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:23 pm

There are also the various BLSA regional job fairs (Southern, Mid-Atlantic, Northeastern, etc...)
The Boston Lawyers Group Fair, SELPC, KCMBA, etc... etc... There are a lot of opportunities out there.

Even ones that have restrictions based on your school are accessible. I wanted to attend the LSBA fair Aberzombie talked about, but my school wasn't a participant. I simply called up career services, got them to pay the fee to join, and attended the job fair. Ended up with two offers and a callback from that fair. Don't leave any stone unturned when you're looking for a job.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:39 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Okay.

This post is about jobs fairs that I intended and looked at (I'm leaving two off, one to maintain secrecy and the other was a Louisiana Diversity Career fair). Specifically, I will talk about the Bay Area Diversity Career far, the Southeastern Minority Job Fair, and the Sunbelt Diversity Career Fair.

Sunbelt -
If you are a URM and want to practice in TX:
GO TO A SCHOOL IN ONE OF THE FOLLOWING STATES:
Louisiana,
Texas,
Oklahoma,
New Mexico, or
Arizona.
I could see taking UT over anything but HYS, but I'm not sure any other schools handily beat the T14 in placing into Texas biglaw.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:55 pm

I see what you mean. I suppose it should read:

If you are a URM and want to practice in Texas, you should go to school in Louisiana, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, or Arizona unless:
1. You are an IP candidate and are on a good scholarship
2. You get into Georgetown on up on a good scholarship
3. You get into U of Texas with an okay scholarship

I think that sums it up, no?

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I see what you mean. I suppose it should read:

If you are a URM and want to practice in Texas, you should go to school in Louisiana, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, or Arizona unless:
1. You are an IP candidate and are on a good scholarship
2. You get into Georgetown on up on a good scholarship
3. You get into U of Texas with an okay scholarship

I think that sums it up, no?
Number 3 is included in the initial statement.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:12 pm

Do minority law students tend to group together?

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:49 pm

bk187 wrote:Do minority law students tend to group together?
At my school, there are barely enough of us to group together :lol:

All jokes aside, I haven't really noticed minorities grouping together or seperate from everyone else. All of the students get along in class and on campus, and mingle with each other at bar reviews and other law school-sponsored events that take place off campus.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:50 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Okay.

This post is about jobs fairs that I intended and looked at (I'm leaving two off, one to maintain secrecy and the other was a Louisiana Diversity Career fair). Specifically, I will talk about the Bay Area Diversity Career far, the Southeastern Minority Job Fair, and the Sunbelt Diversity Career Fair.

Sunbelt -
If you are a URM and want to practice in TX:
GO TO A SCHOOL IN ONE OF THE FOLLOWING STATES:
Louisiana,
Texas,
Oklahoma,
New Mexico, or
Arizona.

Why? Because only URMs that go to law school in those states can attend Sunbelt.

The Sunbelt job fair had about 45 employers this year (usually it has more), and URMs have no limits on bidding (and there is no interview limit that I was aware of). Employers there include V100/NLJ250s from all over the US, Federal government, prestigious mid/small law, corporations, etc. It is definitely worth attending. It took place on August 27th in Dallas this year.

Southeastern
This job fair has no limitations on where bidding students have to go to school that I am aware of. It had around 70 employers this year and there is a bidding limit of 20. The employers were national in scope with NLJ 250s, some Federal government, mid/small law, etc. It is a neat experience and is worth attending. It took place at the end of July in Atlanta this year.

Bay Area
This job fair has no limitations on where bidding students have to go to school that I am aware of. It had around 50 employers this year and there was a bidding limit of 25. The vast majority of employers were big name California employers.

The kicker is, the Southeastern Fair and the Bay Area Fair take place during the same weekend. So you must bid on both and pick the one that provides more interviews.
Thanks. I definitely plan on attending the Sunbelt fair next summer.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:18 pm

bk187 wrote:Do minority law students tend to group together?
We roll deep.

Jarrett

New

Post by Jarrett » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:14 pm

This question is for the URM at T14 law schools. What experiences have you had with covert racism at your respective schools? A friend of mine told me that her books were stolen from the library when she went to the restroom. Is the racism that serious? What I don't get is how some students preparing to enter a profession that advocates justice and fairness have such latent negative assumptions regarding a persons skin color and their right to obtain the same legal education. FYI, I am applying to 25 schools , AA male , raised in the south.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:18 pm

Jarrett wrote:This question is for the URM at T14 law schools. What experiences have you had with covert racism at your respective schools? A friend of mine told me that her books were stolen from the library when she went to the restroom. Is the racism that serious? What I don't get is how some students preparing to enter a profession that advocates justice and fairness have such latent negative assumptions regarding a persons skin color and their right to obtain the same legal education. FYI, I am applying to 25 schools , AA male , raised in the south.
Why is that incident racist?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:35 pm

bk187 wrote:
Jarrett wrote:This question is for the URM at T14 law schools. What experiences have you had with covert racism at your respective schools? A friend of mine told me that her books were stolen from the library when she went to the restroom. Is the racism that serious? What I don't get is how some students preparing to enter a profession that advocates justice and fairness have such latent negative assumptions regarding a persons skin color and their right to obtain the same legal education. FYI, I am applying to 25 schools , AA male , raised in the south.
This. That's shitty, but by itself doesn't sound race-motivated.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:04 pm

Raised in the south? What are you worried about?

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:21 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Raised in the south? What are you worried about?

lol

(couldn't help myself)

sunkissedesq

New

Post by sunkissedesq » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:47 pm

Do you actually mean covert? or do you mean overt?

For overt - I was told (by another student) during orientation week that I only had to be average to get in. I later found out that he was wait-listed and generally a salty individual. Interestingly enough, I sense more resentment from other URMs that work at the school than I do from my classmates.

Other than that, some subtle racism here and there -- nothing more than I experienced in life before law school.

Applying to *a number* of schools is a good idea, provided you have the time to keep the quality up to par.

Jarrett

New

Post by Jarrett » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:12 am

bk187 wrote:
Because my friend is black an attends a T5 law school , she's also somewhat of a gunner.

Being raised in the south taught me a great deal about racism , just wondering if the degree of racism at T14 is as serious as some imply.

Regardless of any funny looks or behavior I have just as much a right to be at any law school as anyone else and I will embrace the competitiveness , I find it humorous when people make generalizations about different races, specifically AA , it just motivates me to perform better. Gotta love competition , plus the majority is paying for my scholarship lol

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:25 am

Jarrett wrote:Because my friend is black an attends a T5 law school , she's also somewhat of a gunner.
Being black doesn't make every bad thing that happens racist. Someone stole my bicycle a couple weeks ago, but I don't think they did it because they hate Hispanics.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:34 am

I haven't noticed any racism at my skool, WashU. We seem to have a lot of minorities(for a law school) And it seems everyone gets along fine. WashU isn't really an "elitist" school, so i don't think anyone really cares who got what on the LSAT or what have you, and if they do, they are doing a good job of keeping it to themselves.

pocket herc

Bronze

Post by pocket herc » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:48 am

still curious as to how this incident can be tied to racial animus. As far as racism in law school, I'm sure you will find some ignorant bigots, but by and large most people are a bit more enlightened.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:24 am

Jarrett wrote: Because my friend is black an attends a T5 law school , she's also somewhat of a gunner.

I really want to post a face palm meme right now.

mfeller2

Bronze

Post by mfeller2 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:22 pm

Jarrett wrote: Because my friend is black an attends a T5 law school , she's also somewhat of a gunner.
False.
Gunners don't have friends.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:28 pm

Jarrett wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Because my friend is black an attends a T5 law school , she's also somewhat of a gunner.

Being raised in the south taught me a great deal about racism , just wondering if the degree of racism at T14 is as serious as some imply.

Regardless of any funny looks or behavior I have just as much a right to be at any law school as anyone else and I will embrace the competitiveness , I find it humorous when people make generalizations about different races, specifically AA , it just motivates me to perform better. Gotta love competition , plus the majority is paying for my scholarship lol
That isn't racist, unless you're leaving out details.

Don't worry about funny looks. Go to class, bust your ass in the library, and get good outlines from 2L's and 3L's.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:29 pm

Jarrett wrote:Because my friend is black an attends a T5 law school , she's also somewhat of a gunner.

More likely they stole it because she was a gunner.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:49 pm

There's something about Jarrett's posts I really dislike.

On another note, I'm more than happy to answer any questions. I know I've only been in school for a little while but I think I have some wisdom to share <3

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:04 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:There's something about Jarrett's posts I really dislike.
This made me read some of his post history. It's pretty lulzy.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:16 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:There's something about Jarrett's posts I really dislike.

On another note, I'm more than happy to answer any questions. I know I've only been in school for a little while but I think I have some wisdom to share <3
You wanna yay or nay my latest PS before I send it out to the big H?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”