Should I go now or reapply next year

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
MtnDude

Should I go now or reapply next year

Postby MtnDude » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:43 am

Last edited by MtnDude on Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

creamedcats

Re: Should I go now or reapply next year

Postby creamedcats » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:48 am

Did they give you good $$$? Would you be satisfied with graduating from Miami? If yes, and you want to work in law for sure, go ahead and go, unless there's something really awesome for you to do in the meantime. Work hard and you might get a chance to transfer. But that's never certain.

If no money, and you aren't feeling excitement about Miami, give it another try. If you only took it once, I'd say you should ABSOLUTELY retake it.

MtnDude

Postby MtnDude » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:56 am

Yeah, I took the LSAT only once. I didnt get any money from UM. I contemplate if I could get into any better of a school if I raise my LSAT when my GPA is so low. I've been taking practice test and I normally score in the 158 +/- 2.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:41 am

If you decide to reapply, see if you can score some powerscore bibles for the various sections of the test (logic games in particular) and see if that raises your score. Or a Kaplan course if you can afford it and have time for it. A 5 point jump is significant. More would be huge. Your GPA is not a disaster, raising your LSAT would make a difference. Good luck.

Miamiboi305

Postby Miamiboi305 » Sun May 02, 2010 10:34 pm

Im also an AA male and Im going to Miami in the fall....

legalized

Postby legalized » Mon May 03, 2010 11:02 am

MtnDude wrote:So, I've gotten into UMiami, I am pending a decision at Cardozo, Brooklyn, Georgia State and WL @ UFlorida and Florida State. I realized if I was able to raise my LSAT I'll be able to go to a significantly better (<--that's subjective, high ranked is probably more accurate) school. I was advised by my counselor to go to UM and transfer if I didn't like it or if I still wanted to get into a t30 by then. I keep going back and forth on whether or not I should attempt the transfer, be happy in the school I got into or apply to new school.

Stats:
GPA: 3.06
LSAT: 153
URM: AA male

Do you want to practice law in south florida? If yes, stay put and enjoy UM. Its ranking might be low, but it's got HUGE...HUGE pull with employers in south florida. UF is the only better florida school by any significant measure, from what I have seen in my research. However, UF is in a hick town (gainesville) and UM is in a town people would actually want to live in for 3 or more years.

That said, if you don't really care about UM and have in mind a school you want to get into, go ahead and retake but make sure your studying is a better quality, and you go over your mistakes (I find that part a little tedious and frustrating cause it's already annoying to have gotten something wrong, but everyone swears by it so I'm doing it).

The first question is what school DO you want to attend and what is their middle 50% LSAT and GPA range like? (Middle 50% equals 25th percentile to 75th percentile numbers)

legalized

Postby legalized » Mon May 03, 2010 11:07 am

MtnDude wrote:Yeah, I took the LSAT only once. I didnt get any money from UM. I contemplate if I could get into any better of a school if I raise my LSAT when my GPA is so low. I've been taking practice test and I normally score in the 158 +/- 2.

Oh ouch no money!? I take it all back esp. since you only took once. Definitely re-study and retake and then either ask for money with the new scores or forget them altogether and apply to better schools in the fall.

Oh, and anecdotally, it's generally agreed that Howard law has T3 or whatever it is price and ranking but T14 employment prospects...

So if I were you and you raise your score even 5 points, I would apply to wherever black men with 160s apply, and Howard.

Forget Brooklyn and Cardozo. Fordham has good employment prospects if you are checking NY schools outside of T14.

But if you get up to a 165 forget Fordham too. I would say since you're retaking, just aim for T14 scores and apply to all of them plus Howard. :)

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”