Autism Spectrum Disorder in Law School Application

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
stilltheoriginal

Autism Spectrum Disorder in Law School Application

Postby stilltheoriginal » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:55 pm

I'm curious if anyone else applied to schools with Asperger's/Autism Spectrum Disorder. I was diagnosed with it and talked about it in my personal statement to about 20 law schools (most of which were ranked 25-60).

I haven't heard anything about this kind of disability being used in applications before or if it plays a factor in the admissions process. Does anyone know of any schools that have shown favoritism towards something like ASD in their decisions?

What do you think? Would having Asperger's make an applicant more competitive?

c0rpusdelicti

Re: Autism Spectrum Disorder in Law School Application

Postby c0rpusdelicti » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:50 pm

I somehow doubt that Asperger's is under-represented in the legal field.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:00 pm

c0rpusdelicti wrote:I somehow doubt that Asperger's is under-represented in the legal field.

It's not about being under-represented, its about overcoming something very difficult. Law schools would like favorably upon hearing about how the OP worked hard to overcome the condition as it would reveal his or her character.

c0rpusdelicti

Postby c0rpusdelicti » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:01 pm

scionb4 wrote:
c0rpusdelicti wrote:I somehow doubt that Asperger's is under-represented in the legal field.

It's not about being under-represented, its about overcoming something very difficult. Law schools would like favorably upon hearing about how the OP worked hard to overcome the condition as it would reveal his or her character.

What's the name of this forum, again?

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:07 pm

c0rpusdelicti wrote:
scionb4 wrote:

It says law school application - sooooooo, if you don't consider your personal statement part of your application, then I certainly understand the sarcasm. But, if you consider all of the documents you send in to be a part of your whole application, then I'd say what I said was perfectly valid.

c0rpusdelicti

Postby c0rpusdelicti » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:41 pm

scionb4 wrote:
c0rpusdelicti wrote:
scionb4 wrote:

It says law school application - sooooooo, if you don't consider your personal statement part of your application, then I certainly understand the sarcasm. But, if you consider all of the documents you send in to be a part of your whole application, then I'd say what I said was perfectly valid.

Well, no. The name of this forum is "Under Represented Law Student Forum". Hence, my comment about Asperger's probably not being under-represented in the legal field; my implication being that this is probably not the most appropriate forum within which to ask for advice about that disorder.

I'm bored at work and kinda angling for a fight, so I'll apologize and stop there. My opinion is that writing a personal statement about overcoming Asperger's may be effective. It will probably be about as effective as writing on any significant obstacle that one may have faced. However, don't expect any concrete or palpable "bump" - you simply don't fall under any category of URM as it is defined in the context of law school admissions and, quite frankly, I don't know if you should.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:23 pm

stilltheoriginal wrote:I'm curious if anyone else applied to schools with Asperger's/Autism Spectrum Disorder. I was diagnosed with it and talked about it in my personal statement to about 20 law schools (most of which were ranked 25-60).

I haven't heard anything about this kind of disability being used in applications before or if it plays a factor in the admissions process. Does anyone know of any schools that have shown favoritism towards something like ASD in their decisions?

What do you think? Would having Asperger's make an applicant more competitive?

I'm not sure what you mean by "favoritism." There's not any reason for the schools to give you any kind of bump in your numbers strictly because of your diagnosis. But if you've done a good job with your personal statement of showing why an ASD diagnosis makes you a stronger candidate (say, for example, you've had to work 3x as hard for your 4.0, or you've done a ton of stuff for Autism Speaks, or you're committed to going into non-profit advocacy), then the ASD factor will likely set you apart from others with similar numbers.

MtnDude

Postby MtnDude » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:46 am

Dude, I think it speaks well to your personal triumps.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:50 am

There's a lot of misunderstanding about Asperger's, but I'm not sure (I simply don't know) if it qualifies as URM. I'm sure it can make a very solid essay, though.

Random question: How did you get diagnosed?

DarlayBoo

Postby DarlayBoo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:37 pm

Having a disability doesn't make you a URM in the law school sense, but people with disabilities (like LBGT) are under-represented in the legal profession, and thus you belong on this forum.

stilltheoriginal, to me it sounds like you've made the right calls so far. The challenges of living with a disability in a not always very accommodating world is a great subject for a personal (or diversity) statement. While PWD status doesn't qualify you for a URM-like boost, a well-written statement addressing it helps you look like someone capable, mature, and with experience in at least self-advocacy, all attractive qualities in an applicant.

In any case, if you have other application questions relating to disability, a good place to start is the National Association of Law Students with Disabilities http://www.nalswd.org/. They also have a FAQ for Law Applicants posted both on their site and TLS: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=103293.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:43 pm

I don't really get the impression that LGBT is underrepresented in law either. Maybe T.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”