Advice on Picking a School: Fordham vs. Cardozo vs. Seton

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
Chibi_koinu
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:14 am

Advice on Picking a School: Fordham vs. Cardozo vs. Seton

Postby Chibi_koinu » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:04 pm

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice to offer me in picking a school. At this point, I think my decision is coming down to Fordham ($7500/year), Cardozo (full tuition, guaranteed, no strings), or Seton Hall (full tuition, but must remain in the top 50% of the class; it also carries faculty mentorship perks). (I'm still waiting to hear back from Columbia/NYU, but right now they're not in the mix).

In the last two weeks I visited all three of these schools. I was kind of unhappy w/the admitted students day at Cardozo and didn't really "like" the school (I'm just not sure I would be happy there). Although, i understand that I should probably visit again before making that choice. Visited Seton Hall for their ASD and actually REALLY liked it. I don't know what it was exactly (maybe the faculty/students' enthusiasm?). Also visited Fordham this past Saturday and I was quite indifferent (it felt like a HS for some reason). I also didn't really like what they presented during the ASD, but again, it might warrant another visit.

Here are the facts about me: I'm a NJ resident and want to live in NJ. Whether or not I practice in NY or NJ is not that important to me, however, I figure I'd have better job prospects (pay-wise) practicing in NY. I've heard lots of bad things about SHU's job prospects (esp. because it competes with the NY schools' placements), and I hear that out of the three Fordham is the "best." However, cost to me would be $0 (or maybe, at the most ~$2500) if I go to SHU because I'd live at home; approx $15,000-$20,000 for Cardozo because I'd have to pay living expenses for NY, but that's about all; and ~$65,000/year for Fordham. It would be nice to graduate "debt-free" (or relatively), but I'd be willing to take on some debt if the value of that education is SO worth it.

(I don't know if these additional factors matter but: I'm a black female, first-gen, and currently attend an Ivy.)

Any suggestions?

Feel free to PM if you don't want to post it here.

Thanks! =D

amclane
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:08 pm

Re: Advice on Picking a School: Fordham vs. Cardozo vs. Seton

Postby amclane » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:28 pm

Congrats on some great options! Living at home, and going to Seton Hall for free seems like the best option to me, especially if you liked the vibe of the ASD, and you would like living at home. I don't think you would have any trouble staying in the top half of the class. I'm sure some people are going to get on here and trash SHU, but it is a decent school. The admissions process may be all about numbers, but your choice of school doesn't have to be!

User avatar
Chibi_koinu
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:14 am

Re: Advice on Picking a School: Fordham vs. Cardozo vs. Seton

Postby Chibi_koinu » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:59 pm

Hi! Thanks so much for the positive reply! :) I am really anxious about making the right choice because you can only do law school once and I have this fear that I might make the "wrong" choice, and might really be at a disadvantage. But, your comment has let me feel a bit more at ease about this whole process. It'd be great to hear a few more opinions as well, so I hope people read and comment on this post.

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Advice on Picking a School: Fordham vs. Cardozo vs. Seton

Postby monkey85 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:05 pm

I'm going to type fast (since im hungry), so that is the reason why things might come off more straightforward/cold:
- you mentioned 3 schools, but I think that only 2 are actually quality law schools, being Fordham and Cardozo (forget SHU)
- go to Cardozo if you want public interest, they are great in that
- go to Fordham if you want government or biglaw. they have the largest number of alumni in the Manhattan DA and send 80% to biglaw
- if you want to graduate "debt-free" go with Cardozo, the $60k debt will disappear regardless - if you go private you will pay it off in 2 years, if you go public interest you will have it forgiven in 10 years (or in law school financial aid speak, after "120 monthly IBR payments")
- overall you are in great shape since you know that you want the NY/NJ region. both Dozo and Fordham are great for this area!

texaspecial88
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:09 pm

Re: Advice on Picking a School: Fordham vs. Cardozo vs. Seton

Postby texaspecial88 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:12 pm

monkey85 wrote:I'm going to type fast (since im hungry), so that is the reason why things might come off more straightforward/cold:
- you mentioned 3 schools, but I think that only 2 are actually quality law schools, being Fordham and Cardozo (forget SHU)
- go to Cardozo if you want public interest, they are great in that
- go to Fordham if you want government or biglaw. they have the largest number of alumni in the Manhattan DA and send 80% to biglaw
- if you want to graduate "debt-free" go with Cardozo, the $60k debt will disappear regardless - if you go private you will pay it off in 2 years, if you go public interest you will have it forgiven in 10 years (or in law school financial aid speak, after "120 monthly IBR payments")
- overall you are in great shape since you know that you want the NY/NJ region. both Dozo and Fordham are great for this area!


nope

User avatar
Chibi_koinu
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:14 am

Re: Advice on Picking a School: Fordham vs. Cardozo vs. Seton

Postby Chibi_koinu » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:39 pm

monkey85 wrote:I'm going to type fast (since im hungry), so that is the reason why things might come off more straightforward/cold:
- you mentioned 3 schools, but I think that only 2 are actually quality law schools, being Fordham and Cardozo (forget SHU)
- go to Cardozo if you want public interest, they are great in that
- go to Fordham if you want government or biglaw. they have the largest number of alumni in the Manhattan DA and send 80% to biglaw
- if you want to graduate "debt-free" go with Cardozo, the $60k debt will disappear regardless - if you go private you will pay it off in 2 years, if you go public interest you will have it forgiven in 10 years (or in law school financial aid speak, after "120 monthly IBR payments")
- overall you are in great shape since you know that you want the NY/NJ region. both Dozo and Fordham are great for this area!



Hey! Thanks for the reply. I don't think it was too straightforward/cold at all! Just really honest and to the point! I'm wondering why SHU isn't a quality school? Is it because it's in competition w/the NY-area law schools? Or is the academic program there just really that bad? I think I would be interested in public interest, but I'm not 100% sure. I want the opportunity to go into either upon graduation, you know? But, I totally see your point on taking the $60,000 debt from Cardozo. It seems like win-win all around (whether i do big-law or if I use an LRAP or IBR program). I received Cardozo's material describing all their programs/clinics/opportunities today (weirdly almost a month after I received my admittance letter/scholarship). So, I'm gonna read that up really carefully and see if it draws me in some more. Thanks again for your response! :)

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Advice on Picking a School: Fordham vs. Cardozo vs. Seton

Postby Oban » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:55 pm

monkey85 wrote:I'm going to type fast (since im hungry), so that is the reason why things might come off more straightforward/cold:
- you mentioned 3 schools, but I think that only 2 are actually quality law schools, being Fordham and Cardozo (forget SHU)
- go to Cardozo if you want public interest, they are great in that
- go to Fordham if you want government or biglaw. they have the largest number of alumni in the Manhattan DA and send 80% to biglaw
- if you want to graduate "debt-free" go with Cardozo, the $60k debt will disappear regardless - if you go private you will pay it off in 2 years, if you go public interest you will have it forgiven in 10 years (or in law school financial aid speak, after "120 monthly IBR payments")
- overall you are in great shape since you know that you want the NY/NJ region. both Dozo and Fordham are great for this area!


Wow! thats better than yale! :roll:

Kouture
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: Advice on Picking a School: Fordham vs. Cardozo vs. Seton

Postby Kouture » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:23 pm

HI,

I am in a similar boat. Matter of fact I think we met at both ASD's! LOL Have you made your decision yet?

User avatar
newyorker88
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: Advice on Picking a School: Fordham vs. Cardozo vs. Seton

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:48 pm

monkey85 wrote:I'm going to type fast (since im hungry), so that is the reason why things might come off more straightforward/cold:
- you mentioned 3 schools, but I think that only 2 are actually quality law schools, being Fordham and Cardozo (forget SHU)
- go to Cardozo if you want public interest, they are great in that
- go to Fordham if you want government or biglaw. they have the largest number of alumni in the Manhattan DA and send 80% to biglaw


That's a lie, more like 35%.

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: Advice on Picking a School: Fordham vs. Cardozo vs. Seton

Postby hiromoto45 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:25 pm

Hey aren't you IN at Cornell? I know you stated that you were debt adverse but turning down Cornell isn't the best move for your long-term career.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Advice on Picking a School: Fordham vs. Cardozo vs. Seton

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:30 pm

monkey85 wrote:I'm going to type fast (since im hungry), so that is the reason why things might come off more straightforward/cold:
- you mentioned 3 schools, but I think that only 2 are actually quality law schools, being Fordham and Cardozo (forget SHU)
- go to Cardozo if you want public interest, they are great in that
- go to Fordham if you want government or biglaw. they have the largest number of alumni in the Manhattan DA and send 80% to biglaw
- if you want to graduate "debt-free" go with Cardozo, the $60k debt will disappear regardless - if you go private you will pay it off in 2 years, if you go public interest you will have it forgiven in 10 years (or in law school financial aid speak, after "120 monthly IBR payments")
- overall you are in great shape since you know that you want the NY/NJ region. both Dozo and Fordham are great for this area!


Some of the worst advice I've ever heard. I actually burst out laughing at that 80% statistic. Even OperaSoprano would shake her head at that one.

Still, Fordham is your best bet if you want big law. They outplace their ranking and are a solid choice for NYC biglaw. But given that nothing is a sure thing ITE, Dozo with a full ride isn't a bad option.

PS. There is absolutely no reason to be considering SH, and if Cornell is actually an option for you and you really want NYC, I'd go there.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BamBam2772, Heluvsme23, jg072012, kinglew and 3 guests