What is a Pre-Admission Legal Studies summer program?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
hutch0417

What is a Pre-Admission Legal Studies summer program?

Postby hutch0417 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:40 pm

I didn't get the answer I wanted when applying to law school at Texas Wesleyan University. Instead, I received a letter asking me about attending a Pre Admission Legal Studies program in the summer so they could revisit my application when they might better reach a final decision. And of course, I got the letter on a weekend, so I can't ask for a meeting, which I will do next week.

Between then and now, should I consider going to this school? On the surface, it might be good because it's been almost 18 years since I've been in a college classroom and I can see the benefit of preparation before hitting the fall semester running. On the other hand, if it doesn't guarantee me admission into the program, wouldn't it make better financial sense to take the LSAT again and wait a year. Or, for another scenario, once you're put in this pool, that's the only way the admissions committee sees you no matter what you do.

For a bit of background, I have a 2.02 GPA undergrad and a 3.8 graduate GPA with a 149 LSAT. I have an excellent work history with lots of awards, promotions etc. This will be the only school I can go to because of family concerns unless SMU has a sense of humor.

In an unrelated note, this has been a great example for my high-school age daughter on why you try to do everything to the best of your ability, you don't just get by. That was a lesson I learned the hard way.

So go ahead, release the hounds and give me some feedback on the pluses-minuses or even questions to ask about this program.

sally001

Re: What is a Pre-Admission Legal Studies summer program?

Postby sally001 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:28 pm

Did you ever receive more information on this? I also received the same package from them.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:19 am

Class of 2010, 9 months after graduation,
LST wrote:•38.4% of graduates were known employed in full-time legal jobs. This figure includes an unknown number of temporary jobs.
•37.6% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•49.8% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.
•35.0% graduates were unemployed

Tuition is 90k. Do those numbers make you want to sign up?

--LinkRemoved--

MeSoLitigious

Postby MeSoLitigious » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:33 pm

Oh my goodness!!! :shock: Please don't go to this school! It sounds like this summer camp is another way for them to bilk law school hopefuls, and it may or may not lead to admission... but admission is unlikely to lead to a job!!!! So this a NO GO in any case.

I think taking some time to really study hard and raise your LSAT score is the wisest course of action.

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:41 pm

hutch0417 wrote:I didn't get the answer I wanted when applying to law school at Texas Wesleyan University. Instead, I received a letter asking me about attending a Pre Admission Legal Studies program in the summer so they could revisit my application when they might better reach a final decision. And of course, I got the letter on a weekend, so I can't ask for a meeting, which I will do next week.

Between then and now, should I consider going to this school? On the surface, it might be good because it's been almost 18 years since I've been in a college classroom and I can see the benefit of preparation before hitting the fall semester running. On the other hand, if it doesn't guarantee me admission into the program, wouldn't it make better financial sense to take the LSAT again and wait a year. Or, for another scenario, once you're put in this pool, that's the only way the admissions committee sees you no matter what you do.

For a bit of background, I have a 2.02 GPA undergrad and a 3.8 graduate GPA with a 149 LSAT. I have an excellent work history with lots of awards, promotions etc. This will be the only school I can go to because of family concerns unless SMU has a sense of humor.

In an unrelated note, this has been a great example for my high-school age daughter on why you try to do everything to the best of your ability, you don't just get by. That was a lesson I learned the hard way.

So go ahead, release the hounds and give me some feedback on the pluses-minuses or even questions to ask about this program.

unless it is free, don't.

Gwen

Postby Gwen » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:57 am

It's a way for them to determine whether you have the aptitude to do well in law school and probably a marketing technique. Don't give them your money (if there is a fee), and don't waste your time at that school. What are your stats?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”