148 in Dec. and aiming for 170 in Oct.--Score dive?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
jr1886
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:24 am

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby jr1886 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:54 pm

I will continue to post weekly about my progress

This past week I studied for 25 hrs total. I worked on the Logic Game Bible, doing Basic Linear Games first and making three copies of each basic game- for repeated practices- from the 10 more Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests. Will follow a similar plan as I progress thru the Bible this week doing Advanced Linear Games.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:31 pm

BruceBarr wrote:You don't need to update us. It's annoying to see you at the tops of my news feed every few days.


Is there a way for a mod to fix this for you? (maybe delete your posts from this thread so it doesn't appear in your "View your posts"?

I actually thought it was great he was updating a lot and I figure it holds him more accountable, though I do understand it could be something your not interested in.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:40 pm

jr1886 wrote:Nice score...what did you do? share please


I got into the mid 160's after taking a class and then studying a little by myself. The biggest improvement happened actually when I was working as a tutor with a few people who who in the 140s and 150's. LR was always a strength for me, but it became two sections where I just don't miss questions very often. Breaking down a ton of LR questions for others and being able to explain why the 4 incorrect answer choices are absolutely wrong helps immensely. Make sure you are doing this for every single question you are missing (or just not sure about). Reviewing questions is absolutely key. Same logic applies to RC.

LG is just a matter of repetition after a certain point. You need to be doing all the games as many times as possible. Like other posters have mentioned, accuracy is the first priority, but after that speed just comes with tons of practice.

jr1886 wrote:
I will continue to post weekly about my progress

This past week I studied for 25 hrs total. I worked on the Logic Game Bible, doing Basic Linear Games first and making three copies of each basic game- for repeated practices- from the 10 more Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests. Will follow a similar plan as I progress thru the Bible this week doing Advanced Linear Games.


Keep it up man! Good luck!

User avatar
Dimsdale
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby Dimsdale » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:49 pm

Good Luck! I studied by going through all the PTs, but there was one piece of advice that I really think would have helped me out. I always went back and checked out the questions I got wrong, but I didn't deconstruct those questions to the extent that I should have. I think that would have helped me on test day. Also, you cannot underestimate the importance of getting your timing down. I think that those people who made it to 30 or 32-minute sections while practicing had a huge advantage on test day. All the best in your efforts.

User avatar
jr1886
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:24 am

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby jr1886 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:37 am

I will continue to post weekly about my progress


This past week I finished advanced Linear Logic Games by working on the section in Logic Games Bible and doing all the Advanced Logic Games from the 10 more actual LSAT classified as advanced by powerscore( from about Dec. 1996-June 1999). As most of you have suggested and predicted with games, Im getting faster with repeated practices averaging 9 to 10 mins whereas I used to be able to barely finish a game in 30 minute. I hope to bring my timing down to 7min when i'm doing the 3rd copy of each and every game. This week, I'm working on Grouping games.
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:You don't need to update us. It's annoying to see you at the tops of my news feed every few days.


Is there a way for a mod to fix this for you? (maybe delete your posts from this thread so it doesn't appear in your "View your posts"?

I actually thought it was great he was updating a lot and I figure it holds him more accountable, though I do understand it could be something your not interested in.

That's exactly one of the main reason. Too bad the other guy didn't think of that.
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
jr1886 wrote:Nice score...what did you do? share please


I got into the mid 160's after taking a class and then studying a little by myself. The biggest improvement happened actually when I was working as a tutor with a few people who who in the 140s and 150's. LR was always a strength for me, but it became two sections where I just don't miss questions very often. Breaking down a ton of LR questions for others and being able to explain why the 4 incorrect answer choices are absolutely wrong helps immensely. Make sure you are doing this for every single question you are missing (or just not sure about). Reviewing questions is absolutely key. Same logic applies to RC.

LG is just a matter of repetition after a certain point. You need to be doing all the games as many times as possible. Like other posters have mentioned, accuracy is the first priority, but after that speed just comes with tons of practice.

jr1886 wrote:
I will continue to post weekly about my progress

This past week I studied for 25 hrs total. I worked on the Logic Game Bible, doing Basic Linear Games first and making three copies of each basic game- for repeated practices- from the 10 more Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests. Will follow a similar plan as I progress thru the Bible this week doing Advanced Linear Games.


Keep it up man! Good luck!


Thank you for sharing. Your advice are great and I will incorporate them in my studying. Hoping i can do close to what you did on your last LSAT.
Dimsdale wrote:Good Luck! I studied by going through all the PTs, but there was one piece of advice that I really think would have helped me out. I always went back and checked out the questions I got wrong, but I didn't deconstruct those questions to the extent that I should have. I think that would have helped me on test day. Also, you cannot underestimate the importance of getting your timing down. I think that those people who made it to 30 or 32-minute sections while practicing had a huge advantage on test day. All the best in your efforts.

Thank you, Im staying patient in reviewing answers. Sometimes this can be very frustrating. And I think your last piece of advice will be very useful, as i get more comfortable with each section, i plan to time myself down around 30ish min.

User avatar
jr1886
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:24 am

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby jr1886 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:03 pm

I will continue to post weekly about my progress

This past week- 04/05/2010-04-11-2010- I studied for 22 hrs. Didnt get to 25hrs as i had to make some time to study for my final exams. I finished grouping games and did all the grouping games in the 10 More Actual LSAT and repeated them. I'm getting better with games and it seems the old adage practice does make perfect still holds true. I plan to finish the LG bible this week so i can move on to the LR bible. In light of John Paul Stevens retirement, I plan to read quite a few of his long-winded, yet sound, opinions and dissents. Already, I read his dissent in District of Columbia v. Heller.

User avatar
Columbia Law
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby Columbia Law » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:15 pm

BruceBarr wrote:Good luck with this man... but be realistic. 160 should be wear you are aiming.



What the f*ck?

User avatar
BruceBarr
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby BruceBarr » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:37 pm

Columbia Law wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:Good luck with this man... but be realistic. 160 should be wear you are aiming.



What the f*ck?


Oh my God. Thank you so much for taking the time to correct my grammar. Honestly, without you I'd be lost and unown. Or unknowne.

Edit: I also hope you still have a hard on.

User avatar
jr1886
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:24 am

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby jr1886 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:47 pm

I will continue to post weekly about my progress

I studied for 20 hours this week. Had to shave 5 hours from studying the LSAT to focus on my final exams. I finished the Logic game Bible this week and I'm feeling very comfortable with games now. Not taking anything for granted, I plan to continue practicing games non-stop(at least 2/day).

This week I begin the LR bible. Will report on my progress by the end of the week.

op-ti
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:36 pm

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby op-ti » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:43 am

Miznitic wrote:
jr1886 wrote: Now, I know a lot of people are thinking i'm a lost cause and there is no way i can make it to 170.


I scored a 141 in Feb 09, and a 179 this past Feb. There is no such thing as a lost cause.

What do now?

• Use All three bibles. Work through everything and don't go on until your comfortable with the subject. This should take about a month or so.
• Buy all the PT's you can. Newer/Older
• Start off with untimed PT sections to feel more comfortable. Review incorrect answers AND correct answers.
• Take a timed section a day, review with the books your answers after your done.
• Around June or July, develop a saturday routine where you take full LSATs under as realistic conditions as possible.
• Devote 7 days a week if you can. I did.


This is seriously encouraging!

User avatar
Drummingreg
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby Drummingreg » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:04 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qae_TUTeGo
Good luck! I went from a 151 to a 167 and I'll be retaking to try to break 170.

User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby SwollenMonkey » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:55 am

Read a few books on informal logic. Learn about deductive logic. Play soduko.

User avatar
jr1886
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:24 am

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby jr1886 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:22 pm

I will continue to post weekly about my progress

Studied for 25 hours this week going LR Bible up to the chapter on Formal Logic. I plan to finish the LR Bible by Friday of this week.

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby awesomepossum » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:37 pm

Nice to get your updates. I'm supposing you have no friends/family who care to hear your updates instead?

Sere
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby Sere » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:58 pm

awesomepossum wrote:Nice to get your updates. I'm supposing you have no friends/family who care to hear your updates instead?


Wow, how snarky can you get?

jr1886, you go and do what you need to do.

awesomepossum, me thinks the upcoming Bar exam is making you a bit, well, intolerant? Worried? Not Order of the Coif material?

Play nice, you never know who you will run into after lawschool.

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby awesomepossum » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Sere wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:Nice to get your updates. I'm supposing you have no friends/family who care to hear your updates instead?


Wow, how snarky can you get?

jr1886, you go and do what you need to do.

awesomepossum, me thinks the upcoming Bar exam is making you a bit, well, intolerant? Worried? Not Order of the Coif material?

Play nice, you never know who you will run into after lawschool.



Yes you are right...I am worried about the upcoming bar exam...even though I'm taking my bar exam in 2011....

User avatar
BruceBarr
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby BruceBarr » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:52 pm

Sere wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:Nice to get your updates. I'm supposing you have no friends/family who care to hear your updates instead?


Wow, how snarky can you get?

jr1886, you go and do what you need to do.

awesomepossum, me thinks the upcoming Bar exam is making you a bit, well, intolerant? Worried? Not Order of the Coif material?

Play nice, you never know who you will run into after lawschool.


Shut the fuck up.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby JOThompson » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:54 pm

148 to ~160 is certainly doable. That was my improvement after about six months of intensive work. My score could've been mid 160s but I didn't study the games section in the most efficient manner. Good luck!

User avatar
jr1886
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:24 am

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby jr1886 » Mon May 03, 2010 5:58 pm

I will continue to post weekly about my progress


This past week I graduated and studied for 25 hours. I finished the LRB and now I am doing untimed practice of LR sections in 10 official LSAT book. I plan to read a book on informal logic too and i'm now reading "game Change"

User avatar
pugalicious
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby pugalicious » Mon May 03, 2010 6:01 pm

AtticusFinch wrote: Unfortunately your testicles aren't that valuable an asset in taking the LSAT.


Speak for yourself.

User avatar
Nena_a
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:46 am

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby Nena_a » Tue May 04, 2010 1:32 pm

BruceBarr wrote:
Miznitic wrote:
jr1886 wrote: Now, I know a lot of people are thinking i'm a lost cause and there is no way i can make it to 170.


I scored a 141 in Feb 09, and a 179 this past Feb. There is no such thing as a lost cause.



And I'm calling bluff on this. You don't go from an ACTUAL 141 on the test to a 179. People who get 179's test cold in the 150's. A 141 is literally borderline handicap.

But in all seriousness...

... you're an idiot.



Hate to break it to you, but no one gives a flying fuck what you think. You can't even spell. And you want to be a lawyer? Ha.haha. Hardy har har. Ha.

User avatar
jr1886
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:24 am

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby jr1886 » Mon May 10, 2010 11:38 pm

I will continue to post weekly about my progress


This past week, I studied for 25 hours doing 5 untimed section of LR in the 10 more official LSAT book. I averaged 5 missed questions. This week, I will do five more LR timed first than untimed right after and then reviewed them extensively. Then, it's on to the RCB. I finished game change book, it is very enlightening and it was interesting to see how much i already forgot about the recent presidential election.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby A'nold » Mon May 10, 2010 11:46 pm

How come we never get practice test score updates? It's hard to tell if these 25 hour per week study sessions are doing anything for you man. Give your followers something tangible to see. :wink:

TexasDemocrat
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:30 am

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby TexasDemocrat » Tue May 11, 2010 4:36 am

jr1886 wrote:
I will continue to post weekly about my progress


This past week, I studied for 25 hours doing 5 untimed section of LR in the 10 more official LSAT book. I averaged 5 missed questions. This week, I will do five more LR timed first than untimed right after and then reviewed them extensively. Then, it's on to the RCB. I finished game change book, it is very enlightening and it was interesting to see how much i already forgot about the recent presidential election.


Did you develop these study habits after your 148 or before? If you were studying 25 hours a week and taking several PT's before your first test, I really think you should aim a little lower or you're setting yourself up for a disappointment. I'd shoot for 160 if I were you. Then again, if you went in cold the first time and decided to actually prepare this time a jump to 170 could be possible. Good luck.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: NO Surrender! 148 in December and aiming for 170 in October

Postby Helmholtz » Tue May 11, 2010 4:44 am

Nena_a wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:
Miznitic wrote:
jr1886 wrote: Now, I know a lot of people are thinking i'm a lost cause and there is no way i can make it to 170.


I scored a 141 in Feb 09, and a 179 this past Feb. There is no such thing as a lost cause.



And I'm calling bluff on this. You don't go from an ACTUAL 141 on the test to a 179. People who get 179's test cold in the 150's. A 141 is literally borderline handicap.

But in all seriousness...

... you're an idiot.



Hate to break it to you, but no one gives a flying fuck what you think. You can't even spell. And you want to be a lawyer? Ha.haha. Hardy har har. Ha.


I think you're overestimating the impact of spelling ability when it comes to lawyering.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests