148 in Dec. and aiming for 170 in Oct.--Score dive?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Non-Chalant1

Re: 148 in Dec. and aiming for 170 in Oct.--Is Back!

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:36 pm

I don't know if this counts or anything, but if it gives you any inspiration ---I got a 159 in June just now. I took my first practice test since then (I forget but it had some game with flowers and corsages, etc....which took me too long and ruined my score to an extent but whatever) and I got a 171 which is my highest score ever. This is without being able to do the last game at all and basically just marking them all wrong. Now TBF, I didn't do it at one sitting. I did the first two sections in the morning...went to the gym. Did the reading comp at night and then just did the last LR about 15 minutes ago.

I timed them all though. LR (-3, one really stupid mistake and had to guess the last one). RC (-2...I'll review that in a second..thought I was golden), LG (-6...the 6 I didn't get too...-4 if I just guessed all Ds, but just took them like that) and LR (-1).

So overall, -12 and an 88 which is better than I ever did before. I don't worry much about the fatigue factor because quite frankly I get too much adrenaline to get tired now that I'm used to it and once I do feel my speed slowing I hit like a 6 gear and "wake up." Those games though....I hadn't done anything in awhile and I didn't realize how much speed I lost. I always attempt the first game in 7 minutes or less and try to the last 3 with the remaining 28. It usually works out. I'll start taking full ones at one sitting pretty soon. Probably Saturday Morning or something. It's encouraging though...I was hoping for a 165 or something this go around. I'll throw in a random extra section too just so that it's 5.

You can do it though...games used to terrorize me and now it's not how to do them and it's how fast. Part of it is being decisive...i don't always have the perfect diagram...but I try to always make the right inferences. Looking back...missing one inference on this exam cost me the ability to do the last game (which was easy).

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:50 pm

I don't know if this counts or anything, but if it gives you any inspiration ---I got a 159 in June just now. I took my first practice test since then (I forget but it had some game with flowers and corsages, etc....which took me too long and ruined my score to an extent but whatever) and I got a 171 which is my highest score ever. This is without being able to do the last game at all and basically just marking them all wrong. Now TBF, I didn't do it at one sitting. I did the first two sections in the morning...went to the gym. Did the reading comp at night and then just did the last LR about 15 minutes ago.
Conrats on your great improvement thus far. LG is still my biggest issue, and the only section holding me from an at least 170. Good luck with your preparation and your experience has give me more hope to stay focus on LG

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:54 pm

I took PT32 using the SOS's method and scored a 167 despite being unable to reach the last game. This 167 matched my highest timed PT score thus far.Untimed, i scored a 176 missing 2LR, 1RC, and 3LG. I will take a break over the weekend from taking PTs but i will return next week for 5 more PTs.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:22 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote: I got a 171 which is my highest score ever. Now TBF, I didn't do it at one sitting. I did the first two sections in the morning...went to the gym. Did the reading comp at night and then just did the last LR about 15 minutes ago.

Sorry to say but if you're not doing the PT all in one sitting under the most realistic test conditions possible, your PT's are not going to be representative of your test day performance.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:46 pm

naterj wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote: I got a 171 which is my highest score ever. Now TBF, I didn't do it at one sitting. I did the first two sections in the morning...went to the gym. Did the reading comp at night and then just did the last LR about 15 minutes ago.

Sorry to say but if you're not doing the PT all in one sitting under the most realistic test conditions possible, your PT's are not going to be representative of your test day performance.

Not necessarily true.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:07 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
naterj wrote:

Not necessarily true.

???? Taking a break in between sections is a huge advantage that you will not be provided on test day.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:11 pm

Going to agree with naterj on this one. Taking the sections with so much time in between gives your mind a big break and helps prevent tiredness/frustration.

Also, good luck to the OP. Looks like you're putting in some hours, hope it pays off.

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:14 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Also, good luck to the OP. Looks like you're putting in some hours, hope it pays off.

Thank you, i clock about 45 hrs weekly.

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:21 pm

I took PT33 today and scored a 166. LG is still holding me down from a 170 and i will work on it intensely this week. It seems my average in LR is unstable even after i thought i had made significant progress and had it down pat. Untimed i scored a 173 with the same PT using SOS's method.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:49 pm

jr1886 wrote:I took PT33 today and scored a 166. LG is still holding me down from a 170 and i will work on it intensely this week. It seems my average in LR is unstable even after i thought i had made significant progress and had it down pat. Untimed i scored a 173 with the same PT using SOS's method.

I think you'll break a 170 on test day.

captainculpepper

Postby captainculpepper » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:48 pm

LLB2JD wrote:I think you'll break a 170 on test day.

+1

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:26 am

LLB2JD wrote:
jr1886 wrote:I took PT33 today and scored a 166. LG is still holding me down from a 170 and i will work on it intensely this week. It seems my average in LR is unstable even after i thought i had made significant progress and had it down pat. Untimed i scored a 173 with the same PT using SOS's method.

I think you'll break a 170 on test day.

Thanks guys. That would be priceless granted i would love to start hitting 170s in practice before the test

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:30 am

Took Pt34 yesterday and my score take a dive. i think this test was very hard especially the LG and both LR. I will review the questions i missed twice, since i used SOS's method when taking PT34, to see what went wrong. FYI, I scored a 172 using the same test untimed

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:47 am

Dont waste time doing untimed tests.. Anyone should be able to score 170+ untimed with little or no preparation.. time is the key element.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:56 am

tkgrrett wrote:Dont waste time doing untimed tests.. Anyone should be able to score 170+ untimed with little or no preparation.. time is the key element.

I think I agree with TK on this one. You've consistently averaged in the 170s untimed. Clearly, you understand the concepts, it is timing you need to work on. I will suggest you do a few individual sections timed. That has worked for me, except for on games, and even I'm faster on the games than I used to.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:17 am

LLB2JD wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Dont waste time doing untimed tests.. Anyone should be able to score 170+ untimed with little or no preparation.. time is the key element.

I think I agree with TK on this one. You've consistently averaged in the 170s untimed. Clearly, you understand the concepts, it is timing you need to work on. I will suggest you do a few individual sections timed. That has worked for me, except for on games, and even I'm faster on the games than I used to.

I definitely agree with this too. I've been crushing a lot of sections timed. On a PT I took yesterday, the first after I have been doing only tons of section practice, I finished every section comfortably. It felt really good to be able to look back through some answers and stuff after I finished. And yeah, your issue HAS to be time constraints if you're able to see your mistakes when you take the tests untimed.

If you have access to individual sections that you haven't seen, definitely start doing as many of those as you can. Even if they're really old, they'll still help you with timing. I use online-stopwatch.com (not sure if that's the correct URL) and use their Interval Timer. You can set it up so you get a 5 minute warning and everything. I do NOT look at the timer so that I can get a sort of internal sense of what 35 minutes feels like, and not have to rely on a clock/watch. It has been helping me fa sho. good luck, and your score improvements are inspiring man

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:56 am

Fresh wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:

I definitely agree with this too. I've been crushing a lot of sections timed. On a PT I took yesterday, the first after I have been doing only tons of section practice, I finished every section comfortably. It felt really good to be able to look back through some answers and stuff after I finished. And yeah, your issue HAS to be time constraints if you're able to see your mistakes when you take the tests untimed.

If you have access to individual sections that you haven't seen, definitely start doing as many of those as you can. Even if they're really old, they'll still help you with timing. I use online-stopwatch.com (not sure if that's the correct URL) and use their Interval Timer. You can set it up so you get a 5 minute warning and everything. I do NOT look at the timer so that I can get a sort of internal sense of what 35 minutes feels like, and not have to rely on a clock/watch. It has been helping me fa sho. good luck, and your score improvements are inspiring man

Thanks guys for all the imput. I will try to take some separate sections as you suggested to get more comfortable with timing even though I will continue to take full lenght PTs. I have plenty of time so that's won't be an issue. Besides, I can replaced those untimed hours with separate sections.
TK, you have a great score how did you get fast at doing games? That's my worst section with timing.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:08 pm

jr1886 wrote: Thanks guys for all the imput. I will try to take some separate sections as you suggested to get more comfortable with timing even though I will continue to take full lenght PTs. I have plenty of time so that's won't be an issue. Besides, I can replaced those untimed hours with separate sections.
TK, you have a great score how did you get fast at doing games? That's my worst section with timing.

I hope you don't mind if I jump on answering this question too. One thing that has helped me is using previous work effectively. I know that everyone says to use previous work to eliminate answer choices, but I struggled doing this mostly because my previous work wasn't neat enough to look back at quickly. I started writing everything out clearer and making sure I could distinguish between solutions that I knew worked and ones that I knew didn't work for a particular game. This helps saves a healthy amount of time if you do it efficiently.

And also, after you start doing section after section of games, timed, you can get a better gauge of how slow you really are.

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:52 pm

Fresh wrote:
jr1886 wrote: Thanks guys for all the imput. I will try to take some separate sections as you suggested to get more comfortable with timing even though I will continue to take full lenght PTs. I have plenty of time so that's won't be an issue. Besides, I can replaced those untimed hours with separate sections.

I hope you don't mind if I jump on answering this question too. One thing that has helped me is using previous work effectively. I know that everyone says to use previous work to eliminate answer choices, but I struggled doing this mostly because my previous work wasn't neat enough to look back at quickly. I started writing everything out clearer and making sure I could distinguish between solutions that I knew worked and ones that I knew didn't work for a particular game. This helps saves a healthy amount of time if you do it efficiently.

And also, after you start doing section after section of games, timed, you can get a better gauge of how slow you really are.

No not all. Thanks for the great advice. I actually start doing that on Monday and I find it very helpful. Now, I usually numerically mark every good hypothetical i made from 1,2,3.. and so on. I found that a lot of times i was doing unnecessary work when i could just have used previous hypos.

How's your Prep going? I feel that only LG is holding me down from a 170. I just need to master that section however I don't know if i focus too much on LG whether my other sections will regress. i gotta improve my LG

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:04 pm

jr1886 wrote:How's your Prep going? I feel that only LG is holding me down from a 170. I just need to master that section however I don't know if i focus too much on LG whether my other sections will regress. i gotta improve my LG

Not bad! My games has been my most dramatic improvement. My first test I got 40% correct, last test I got 91%. RC I'm consistently -0 to -3. My big issue is LR because I can go anywhere from -2 to -8.. per section :roll: I think I'm getting caught up on tricky questions and it's throwing my rhythm off completely. I have to learn to skip ones I'm stuck on, which is harder than it sounds lol.

My goal is to break 170 too. Gonna be tough but I still have to try

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:26 pm

Fresh wrote:
jr1886 wrote:How's your Prep going? I feel that only LG is holding me down from a 170. I just need to master that section however I don't know if i focus too much on LG whether my other sections will regress. i gotta improve my LG

Not bad! My games has been my most dramatic improvement. My first test I got 40% correct, last test I got 91%. RC I'm consistently -0 to -3. My big issue is LR because I can go anywhere from -2 to -8.. per section :roll: I think I'm getting caught up on tricky questions and it's throwing my rhythm off completely. I have to learn to skip ones I'm stuck on, which is harder than it sounds lol.

My goal is to break 170 too. Gonna be tough but I still have to try

With dedication you will certainly reach your goal. If you take a look at my detail breakdown of misses in this thread, I suffer from the same issue with LR. In some sections, I can go as high as -7, in others as low as -1. I plan to buy Cambridge 410 Difficult LR questions tonight and I will go from there with LR and see how much improvement i can make. I'm trying to get this section down to as low from -0 to-2 per section. RC, Im very good at and have a similar average as yours. However for LG, I'm nowhere close to where i need to be and it will be my main focus in the coming days. If i could finish just three games on time in LG, I would have a good chance of hitting 170 in my practices. So far, I'm not there yet.
Have that happen to you to, usually in LR whenever I miss one question the chances I miss the next one is unusually high? I wonder why. And you issue with skipping hard question is a common problem of mine. I always think i can solve a question if I spend a little more time without realizing that might prevent me from finishing the section and answer potentially easy questions. Let's keep on pushing to get that 170!!

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:33 pm

Games were never really an issue for me. The way they are set up kind of mirrors the way I think. The key to them is creating efficient setups and identifying common universal inferences before you dig into the individual questions. Dont rush with the setup, make sure you tease out as much info up front as possible. My biggest issue was actually with inconsistency with RC. I eventually just decided to just read the passages straight through and answer the questions instead of doing any special underlining or circling.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:35 pm

To chime in, I've been trying new things with the games. I tried spending more time on the diagrams and make as complete inferences as possible. I sometimes even draw out 2 diagrams to represent some of the key rules. I have found this method to be more efficient and would usually breeze through the games in less than ~2 mins. I haven't been able to hone down the diagramming with speed though

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:36 am

Took PT36 today and my score improve to a 165. We'll see what happens with the next PTs. Still working on LG. And thanks guys for the tips above

jr1886

Re: 148 in Dec. and aiming for 170 in Oct.- how retakers PT-ing?

Postby jr1886 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:53 pm

Took PT41 yesterday and I had a very good feeling when taking it. I scored a 166! I did fairly well for all sections save LG, which is coming along slowly but surely. I am really happy with my improvement in LR, I just need to stay consistent.

How are all the October retakers doing?

Edit: to include PT score

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”