Are Straight White Males Not Part of Diversity?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Oblomov

Re: Are Straight White Males Not Part of Diversity?

Postby Oblomov » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:51 pm

Gunz353 wrote:Well, for once, being a gay white male has finally gotten me something besides awkward conversations revealing myself to co-workers and friends.

C'mon. I bet it's gotten you blow jobs, too.

Keile

Postby Keile » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:52 pm

Drake014 wrote:
Oblomov wrote:
Keile wrote:Straight males already make up about 90% (at least) of the typical law firm practice.

Where the fuck do you come up with this deranged shit? Pull your head out of your ass and do some research.

I think he's talking about Big Law. 89% of lawyers and 90% of judges are white... Firms are probably worse in the white department but I'm not going to assume that white=white straight male.

:lol: :lol: :lol: .

I was obviously referring to BigLaw. The partner demographic statistics are even more supportive of my assertion that it is best to be a white straight male lawyer over [insert minority] straight male lawyer in whatever economy--at least when it comes to advancement opportunity.

Anything outside of BigLaw is shite anyway, and isn't important.
Last edited by Keile on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:53 pm

Negrodamus wrote:So does white supremacy not exist anymore?

?? I guess it does in your mind. I'd like to think everyone here is educated enough to want to move beyond such degrading classifications. People have differing opinions because they are from different backgrounds; that does not make them affiliated with racially-motivated cliques. But if you must...

Keile

Postby Keile » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:55 pm

dp73816 wrote:

?? I guess it does in your mind. I'd like to think everyone here is educated enough to want to move beyond such degrading classifications. People have differing opinions because they are from different backgrounds; that does not make them affiliated with racially-motivated cliques. But if you must...

I don't know if there are white supremacists here but I've met raging white supremacists on other forums similar to this one that find these type of threads the perfect time and place to start recruiting for the next Civil War. I guess they figure that they can use the anger directed at something focused around minorities and score a win.
Last edited by Keile on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:55 pm

dp73816 wrote:

Just because you want to move beyond something doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Now answer the question.

Also "white supremacy" is not a racially motivated clique.

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:56 pm

Keile wrote:
dp73816 wrote:

I don't know if there are white supremacists here but I've met raging white supremacists on other forums similar to this one that find these type of threads the perfect time and place to start recruiting for the next Civil War.

haha! I played football with many of them...

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:56 pm

Keile wrote:
dp73816 wrote:

I don't know if there are white supremacists here but I've met raging white supremacists on other forums similar to this one that find these type of threads the perfect time and place to start recruiting for the next Civil War. I guess they figure that they can use the anger directed at something focused around minorities and score a win.

Please tell me you are not a member of stormfront.org

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:57 pm

i am arbiter of all things, including whether or not someone is diverse, and i have decided that straight white men are not diverse. so no.

next question?
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:57 pm

Oblomov wrote:
Gunz353 wrote:Well, for once, being a gay white male has finally gotten me something besides awkward conversations revealing myself to co-workers and friends.

C'mon. I bet it's gotten you blow jobs, too.

Honestly, I have to not think about that. I have to pretend that being gay isn't the equivalent of being straight and being able to get laid by an attractive woman 90% of the time I go to a club with a 50% chance of being in an reverse gangbang with several hot women. If straight men actually thought that way, some of them wouldn't hate gays because they're homophobic, they'd all hate them because they're jelous.

Oblomov

Postby Oblomov » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:58 pm

Keile wrote:I was obviously referring to BigLaw. The partner demographic statistics are even more supportive of my assertion that it is best to be a white straight male lawyer over [insert minority] straight male lawyer in whatever economy. Anything outside of BigLaw is shite anyway.

But you're still way off. It might be ~90% white, but it's nowhere close to 90% straight white male. Anecdotally, looking most biglaw firm's sites make it seem about half white male (obviously you can't tell their orientation). But you didn't make the assertion that it's better to be a straight white male lawyer, you made the assertion that 90% of biglaw is this.

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:58 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
dp73816 wrote:

Just because you want to move beyond something doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Now answer the question.

Ok, so if you going to commit yourself to such a statement, are you not a proponent of the view at the opposite end of the spectrum? And to answer your quistion, ya, Im positive it still exists - but once again, I doubt anyone here holds those opinions.

Keile

Postby Keile » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Keile wrote:
dp73816 wrote:

Please tell me you are not a member of stormfront.org

Lol. Absolutely not.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:02 pm

Oblomov wrote:
Keile wrote:I was obviously referring to BigLaw. The partner demographic statistics are even more supportive of my assertion that it is best to be a white straight male lawyer over [insert minority] straight male lawyer in whatever economy. Anything outside of BigLaw is shite anyway.

But you're still way off. It might be ~90% white, but it's nowhere close to 90% straight white male. Anecdotally, looking most biglaw firm's sites make it seem about half white male (obviously you can't tell their orientation). But you didn't make the assertion that it's better to be a straight white male lawyer, you made the assertion that 90% of biglaw is this.

Actually, that firm would have 50% diversity. Those kinds of numbers are unheard of in most firms. Its probably not 90%, but its not close to 50% either.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:02 pm

dp73816 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
dp73816 wrote:

Ok, so if you going to commit yourself to such a statement, are you not a proponent of the view at the opposite end of the spectrum? And to answer your quistion, ya, Im positive it still exists - but once again, I doubt anyone here holds those opinions.

I never said anyone here holds those opinions but you, because, to me, your post reeked of it. I apologize for being an asshole tho.

Keile wrote:
Lol. Absolutely not.

lol ok good haha

Oblomov

Postby Oblomov » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:02 pm

Last edited by Oblomov on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oblomov

Postby Oblomov » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:03 pm

Last edited by Oblomov on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:04 pm

Oblomov wrote:Anyone read anything by Ogbu? Pretty solid.

Im currently reading Houston A. Baker, and Algernon Austin. Link me to some ogbu, sir.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:05 pm

Oblomov wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
Oblomov wrote:

Actually, that firm would have 50% diversity. Those kinds of numbers are unheard of in most firms. Its probably not 90%, but its not close to 50% either.

No, women aren't diverse. Look for firms that have photos, they're around 50% white male and 50% other. It does skew higher white male for partners.

First, not all women are white (shocking, but true). Secondly, for legal purposes, they are because there are very few of them at big firms.

Edit: FIrms that have photos???

Keile

Postby Keile » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:07 pm

Oblomov wrote:

My partner statistic isn't "way off"; it is more or less at 90% straight white male.

My associate may be admittedly off, but not by much. If not 90%, then I'll guess 85%.

I think the real question here is how many people of each demographic are born gay?
Last edited by Keile on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oblomov

Postby Oblomov » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:08 pm

Last edited by Oblomov on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:08 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
dp73816 wrote:

In short: yes it exists, but what does that prove? I think this form of racism is exceedingly rare and most mainstream whites think segregationist, Confederate-flag wearing idiots are nuts.

The type of racism we need to turn our attention to is a more subtle, nuanced racism. Institutional racism that is plain for all to see is dead, but hidden racism certainly lurks in a lot of places. One of the keys in fighting it, however, is to not alienate potential allies in the process.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:13 pm

romothesavior wrote:I know it sounds cliche, but we all need to do a better job of understanding one another and tear down this distrust. That is why I took such umbrage to your earlier post, negrodamus. Screaming "RACIST!" everytime a white person disagrees with you isn't going to help anyone towards a better racial and social understanding.

*slow clap*

I think you misjudged me, but thats fine. I agree that most people in our age bracket are not racist or what have you. However, that does not mean its gone completely. Although, I would argue that the definition is a bit different than you describe, i agree for the most part. As for the bolded, you are spot on, but getting to a sufficient level of understanding is something I do not think can happen. Good post

Oblomov

Postby Oblomov » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:14 pm

Last edited by Oblomov on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:20 pm

Keile wrote:
Oblomov wrote:

My partner statistic isn't "way off"; it is more or less at 90% straight white male.

My associate may be admittedly off, but not by much. If not 90%, then I'll guess 85%.

"In 2009, women account for 45.66% of associates, minorities for 19.67%, and minority women for 11.02% of associates"
Oblomov wins that round. http://www.nalp.org/oct09lawfirmdiversity

"In 2009, minorities account for 6.05% of partners in the nation’s major firms, and women account for 19.21% of the partners in these firms" However, Keile's point is well taken.

However, none of these statistics differentiate between big law and small and medium... so it still does't really solve the argument.

Edit, nevermind, they do list firm sizes.
Last edited by Drake014 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:stuff

All I can think of when I see your tar is:" Well I could be wrong here, but I believe diversity was an old old wooden ship used during the Civil War era.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”