Are Straight White Males Not Part of Diversity? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Oblomov

Bronze

Re: Are Straight White Males Not Part of Diversity?

Post by Oblomov » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:39 pm

romothesavior wrote:A person being black does not make them "unlike me." They might have my interests, a similar personality, etc. I think you are reading "racial likeness" into this, when all the recruiters are saying is "people we can get along with and work with."
You're missing his entire point.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:42 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Drake014 wrote: Affirmative action is an outdated approach. It covers up fundamental problems. I've asked recruiters what the most important thing is among candidates. Their answers result in pretty much "I want someone like me." Its not that they're racist, but human nature results in us wanting to be around people like ourselves. People who have our interests or who we're "comfortable" around won't end up with diversity.
A person being black does not make them "unlike me." They might have my interests, a similar personality, etc. I think you are reading "racial likeness" into this, when all the recruiters are saying is "people we can get along with and work with."
Where did I say that a person being black means "unlike me." In fact, I argue that that's EXACTLY the type of "diverse" candidate that is hired. However, there are more white straight male candidates that have more in common with white straight male candidates than people from other groups. That's my point. If they strived for diversity, rather than trying to recruit people who look different but who are basically the same, they'd be much better off all around.
Last edited by Drake014 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:43 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:Simply because I enjoy beating a dead horse; here's another one of Martin Luther King's quotes that i dug up supporting affirmative action.

MLK, in his 1963 classic Why We Can't Wait, said:

"Whenever this issue of compensatory or preferential treatment for the Negro is raised, some of our friends recoil in horror. The Negro should be granted equality, they agree, but he should ask for nothing more. On the surface, this appears reasonable, but it is not realistic. For it is obvious that if a man enters the starting line of a race three hundred years after another man, the first would have to perform some incredible feat in order to catch up."

And this is the video demonstration of what he means: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFG_Vv1F ... r_embedded#
LMFAO, that was hilarious. The unequal opportunity race! I love it, it's funny, but it's a great illustration.

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:43 pm

Anyone else feel like were arguing over topics that we all fundamentally agree upon? Kumbaya bitches

TigerBeer

Bronze

Post by TigerBeer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:44 pm

--ImageRemoved--

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:45 pm

TigerBeer wrote:--ImageRemoved--
....except I (and every other white person on this message board) was not around 150 years ago...

TigerBeer

Bronze

Post by TigerBeer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:46 pm

I don't understand metaphors either :(

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:47 pm

TigerBeer wrote:I don't understand metaphors either :(

oh I understood the metaphor...but if you actually agree with that, words cannot express how sorry I am for you...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:49 pm

Drake014 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Drake014 wrote: Affirmative action is an outdated approach. It covers up fundamental problems. I've asked recruiters what the most important thing is among candidates. Their answers result in pretty much "I want someone like me." Its not that they're racist, but human nature results in us wanting to be around people like ourselves. People who have our interests or who we're "comfortable" around won't end up with diversity.
A person being black does not make them "unlike me." They might have my interests, a similar personality, etc. I think you are reading "racial likeness" into this, when all the recruiters are saying is "people we can get along with and work with."
Where did I say that a person being black means "unlike me." In fact, I argue that that's EXACTLY the type of "diverse" candidate that is hired. However, there are more white straight male candidates that have more in common with white straight male candidates than people from other groups. That's my point. If they strived for diversity, rather than trying to recruit people who look different but who are basically the same, they'd be much better off all around.
Hmm. That makes sense. I think I agree with you on this point. If I may paraphrase, you are looking for a more holistic, meaningful type of diversity than just color of their skin or their sex?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:49 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
TigerBeer wrote:Jesus Christ was not a white male. How does anyone educated still believe that?
Exactly. People still dont know this, why? Because they are indoctrinated by the majority that wants to perpetuate this lie
That's it. I'm changing my 'tar.

Jesus was Black, Ronald Reagan was the devil, and the government is lying about 9/11!

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:49 pm

dp73816 wrote:
....except I (and every other white person on this message board) was not around 150 years ago...
You (and every other white person on this message board) derive no benefits from a cultural history based on white male domination. You (and every other white person) don't live in a society that privileges white male social values.

It's not about you and what you as an individual did or did not do. It's about how we interact when we categorize ourselves into broader social groups. Moreover, it's about how the consequences of these organizations are still playing out today...

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:49 pm

dp73816 wrote:

oh I understood the metaphor...but if you actually agree with that, words cannot express how sorry I am for you...
In all sincerity, I feel bad for you. You are very small minded, but the white supremacist is well within you. Its bothers me that my entire career I will have to work the likes of you.

TigerBeer

Bronze

Post by TigerBeer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:49 pm

dp73816 wrote:

You're only sorry because agreeing with the sentiment in that comic goes directly against your personal self interest.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:50 pm

dp73816 wrote: ....except I (and every other white person on this message board) was not around 150 years ago...
Seriously... If you're slow to get the metaphor, then please watch that youtube link someone posted. Its breaks it down even more for you.

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:51 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
dp73816 wrote:

In all sincerity, I feel bad for you. You are very small minded, but the white supremacist is well within you. Its bothers me that my entire career I will have to work the likes of you.

Haha your labeling me a racist because I disagree with your gross generalizations??

TigerBeer

Bronze

Post by TigerBeer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:51 pm

Renzo wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
TigerBeer wrote:Jesus Christ was not a white male. How does anyone educated still believe that?
Exactly. People still dont know this, why? Because they are indoctrinated by the majority that wants to perpetuate this lie

Jesus was Black, Ronald Reagan was the devil, and the government is lying about 9/11!
You're 0 for 3. Ronald Reagan was not the devil, he merely held similar values to the devil.

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:52 pm

TigerBeer wrote:
dp73816 wrote:

You're only sorry because agreeing with the sentiment in that comic goes directly against your personal self interest.

Sorry, but no...I disagree with a system that cares more about skin color than financial situation.

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:52 pm

dp73816 wrote:
This is essentially describing the effect that this model of relations has had on the two communities as a whole. Many whites have benefited from what their parents, grandparents, great grandparents etc. did and didn't do, and those who did not clearly benefit from this, had parents, grandparents etc. who were not systematically negatively affected by these things, which comparatively, is a privilege compared to what the families and descendents of most African Americas and most Latinos, native Americans, some Asians etc.

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:53 pm

Renzo wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Jesus was indeed black, Ronald Reagan was the devil, but the gub'ment is not lying about 9/11. Anything else

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:53 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:
dp73816 wrote:
This is essentially describing the effect that this model of relations has had on the two communities as a whole. Many whites have benefited from what their parents, grandparents, great grandparents etc. did and didn't do, and those who did not clearly benefit from this, had parents, grandparents etc. who were not systematically negatively affected by these things, which comparatively, is a privilege compared to what the families and descendents of most African Americas and most Latinos, native Americans, some Asians etc.

I get that, but you fail to realize that many "white" immigrants were also discriminated against...I dont want to get in to my personal background, but from where I come from, those sentiments still ring very true.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:54 pm

TigerBeer wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

You're 0 for 3. Ronald Reagan was not the devil, he merely held similar values to the devil.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtx_cShPBh8

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:56 pm

dp73816 wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:
dp73816 wrote:

I get that, but you fail to realize that many "white" immigrants were also discriminated against...I dont want to get in to my personal background, but from where I come from, those sentiments still ring very true.
I get that and your right, that should be taken into account. Especially compared to old money waspy types. I also don't want to minimize the signifcant discrimination and injustices that many white immigrants faced. I just don't think it's near the kind of brutality and exploitation that non-whites, esp. blacks faced for hundreds of years.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:58 pm

dp73816 wrote:
TigerBeer wrote:
dp73816 wrote:
Sorry, but no...I disagree with a system that cares more about skin color than financial situation.
Its a comic... it can't comment on every social problem that exists. It picked the white-black relationship. You could do a whole nother comic for the rich poor relationship that would look very similar. You could also do one for the female-male relationship or the white-native american relationship, etc.

Honestly though, in general, I agree with you that the system should look more at economic status than race... but I don't know you well enough whether you truly believe it should look more at economic status or ONLY at economic status. Race, sex, sexual orientation, etc have their place and are very important.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:00 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:
I get that and your right, that should be taken into account. Especially compared to old money waspy types. I also don't want to minimize the signifcant discrimination and injustices that many white immigrants faced. I just don't think it's near the kind of brutality and exploitation that non-whites, esp. blacks faced for hundreds of years.
Yikes... let's not get into the "who suffered more for how long debate." I'm african american, jewish, and native american. I feel special about the suffering of each of the groups that I belong to, however, I have no desire to decide which one suffered more than gays, women, and the poor. The system treats them all wrong for structural reasons. Let's not worry about whose had it worse historically. That's how THE MAN divides and conquers.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:01 pm

Drake014 wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:
I'm african american, jewish, and native american.
dude, quit hogging all the fucking diversity
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”