Are Straight White Males Not Part of Diversity? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Are Straight White Males Not Part of Diversity?

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:21 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I know it sounds cliche, but we all need to do a better job of understanding one another and tear down this distrust. That is why I took such umbrage to your earlier post, negrodamus. Screaming "RACIST!" everytime a white person disagrees with you isn't going to help anyone towards a better racial and social understanding.
*slow clap*

I think you misjudged me, but thats fine. I agree that most people in our age bracket are not racist or what have you. However, that does not mean its gone completely. Although, I would argue that the definition is a bit different than you describe, i agree for the most part. As for the bolded, you are spot on, but getting to a sufficient level of understanding is something I do not think can happen. Good post
If I misjudged you, I apologize. It is hard to really read people on these threads sometimes. Anyways, its getting late and these AA/race threads make my head hurt. Time for some Call of Duty. Best of look to you, sir.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:22 pm

daesonesb wrote:
romothesavior wrote:stuff
All I can think of when I see your tar is:" Well I could be wrong here, but I believe diversity was an old old wooden ship used during the Civil War era.
Dammit! I can't believe I didn't think of that. Touche, sir. (or if you're a girl, "tip of the cap to you, my lady")

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:31 pm

Oblomov wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Oblomov wrote:Anyone read anything by Ogbu? Pretty solid.
Im currently reading Houston A. Baker, and Algernon Austin. Link me to some ogbu, sir.
I'm currently reading the internet. And getting dummer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ogbu

Try running his article names through jstor.
lol @ ogbu. Not for me. Baker, and Austin dissect him like a frog in biology class.

Keile

New

Post by Keile » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:33 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
dp73816 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:So does white supremacy not exist anymore?

?? I guess it does in your mind. I'd like to think everyone here is educated enough to want to move beyond such degrading classifications. People have differing opinions because they are from different backgrounds; that does not make them affiliated with racially-motivated cliques. But if you must...
Just because you want to move beyond something doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Now answer the question.

Also "white supremacy" is not a racially motivated clique.
In short: yes it exists, but what does that prove? I think this form of racism is exceedingly rare and most mainstream whites think segregationist, Confederate-flag wearing idiots are fucking nuts.

The type of racism we need to turn our attention to is a more subtle, nuanced racism. Institutional racism that is plain for all to see is dead, but hidden racism certainly lurks in a lot of places. One of the keys in fighting it, however, is to not alienate potential allies in the process.
Exactly. The same single, straight white males who may be offended in these such cases are the same, single white males who will most likely be the bosses of incoming minorities in the future. These males will make all the decisions and it is essential that they not feel alienated.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”