For AA URM: Vandy or Howard?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
observationalist

Re: For AA URM: Vandy or Howard?

Postby observationalist » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:48 pm

mhernton wrote:I wish I had your problems....Howard is a targets school for firms with Diversity initiatives, good shot at DC, NY and the mid atlantic region. Vandy is one of the best schools in the south, if not the best in the SEC academically. The is a higer comraderie amongst the AA at Vandy than Howard. Coin Flip....Tails.... VAndy

Ask admissions to put you in touch with any BLSA reps who had to make the decision between Vandy and Howard and see what they have to say. My gut tells me that the employment prospects are too disparate to warrant taking Howard absent strong personal considerations, but it would be a good idea to seek advice from someone who was in the same boat. My choices came down to Vandy vs Fordham vs BC all at sticker and I went with Vandy based on reputation, strength in regulatory/environmental law, and feelings of fit. Plus, Nashville's a fun town to live in for a few years. G'luck.

Nom Sawyer wrote:
voice of reason wrote:In 2005, Howard placed about 16% of the class in NLJ250 firms, compared to 42% at Vandy. Vanderbilt is a far better school than Howard with better job placement. Go to Vanderbilt.

+1.. you're even getting more money at Vandy than Howard... go to Vandy, collect $20k, get Biglaw (if that's what you want) if you are in top 60% of your class.

Right now it doesn't look like top 60% of the class are getting biglaw. Might end up 50% for Class of 2011 when all is said and done, though we will definitely not see the 47% in NLJ250 again for quite some time. Some schools have responded to the market retraction in more innovative ways than others. If you're seriously considering Howard, see if you can reach out to any 3Ls who landed jobs through the alumni network. Alumni strength is one of the things that is really carrying some schools through right now as biglaw shrinks/disappears/revamps into a lower-salaried, apprenticeship model.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:52 pm

observationalist wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:
voice of reason wrote:In 2005, Howard placed about 16% of the class in NLJ250 firms, compared to 42% at Vandy. Vanderbilt is a far better school than Howard with better job placement. Go to Vanderbilt.

+1.. you're even getting more money at Vandy than Howard... go to Vandy, collect $20k, get Biglaw (if that's what you want) if you are in top 60% of your class.

Right now it doesn't look like top 60% of the class are getting biglaw. Might end up 50% for Class of 2011 when all is said and done, though we will definitely not see the 47% in NLJ250 again for quite some time. Some schools have responded to the market retraction in more innovative ways than others. If you're seriously considering Howard, see if you can reach out to any 3Ls who landed jobs through the alumni network. Alumni strength is one of the things that is really carrying some schools through right now as biglaw shrinks/disappears/revamps into a lower-salaried, apprenticeship model.

Clearly the majority of Vanderbilt is not getting Biglaw right now... My comment was directed at the OP, who as an AA URM will have a much larger leeway in terms of grades to get a 2L SA. Of course I don't know if its actually 60%, as my comment was half in jest, but I would most likely guess somewhere from 45~65%

SimplyC26

Postby SimplyC26 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Vandy brah. Howard is too hit or miss. If you land in the top 10 percent you will be golden. However, anything below fiftieth percentile and you are more than likely without a job. On the other side of the spectrum, as long as you place above median at Vandy, you should have some nice prospects.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:58 pm

Damnt, I was soooo gonna say In before observationalist.

Anyway, Good info Ob!!

observationalist

Postby observationalist » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:05 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Damnt, I was soooo gonna say In before observationalist.

Anyway, Good info Ob!!

NP. Whenever I find myself in a library trying to do work I'm pretty good at getting distracted. Hopefully this stops soon and I can continue enjoying my last spring break.

And I bet BLSA reps could also give a better idea of where you need to be in the class for firms to take a look at diversity candidates. I do know your chances at government positions are often higher because there are a lot of diversity scholarships, and that coming from Vandy you would be competing with far fewer of your classmates for said scholarships. Something to take into consideration with any school is the extent to which you can differentiate yourself. Vandy's pretty geographically diverse and we're one of the smallest schools so it keeps competition low within the class. Didn't realize Howard was even smaller... I think they may even beat out Yale?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”