How many URM'S hit 180?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Confused&Pissed

How many URM'S hit 180?

Postby Confused&Pissed » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:32 am

Does anyone know? I'm curious as to how Adcoms would treat such an individual? :)

MURPH

Re: How many URM'S hit 180?

Postby MURPH » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:36 am

I don't know but adcoms would treat them very well.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:44 am

Confused&Pissed wrote:Does anyone know? I'm curious as to how Adcoms would treat such an individual? :)

They would have sex with him. On second thought...that's a threat. lol.

Adcoms would fly to see the guy and treat him like the top high school basketball recruit in the country. A condo in South Beach? A Ferrari? $1M? Seats at the Lakers? Sex with hot coeds? All-you-can-eat dinners at the best restaurants. And they would call his home daily. They'd call his LSAT tutor for up-to-date reports on his list. The LSAT tutor would get a specially created position at the law school. They'd schmooze his parents with the promises of new jobs, cars and houses. They'd bribe people at his UG to give him $100 handshakes.

Postby 20121109 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:51 am

PDaddy wrote:
Confused&Pissed wrote:Does anyone know? I'm curious as to how Adcoms would treat such an individual? :)

Adcoms would fly to see the guy and treat him like the top high school basketball recruit in the country. A condo in South Beach? A Ferrari? $1M? Seats at the Lakers? Sex with hot coeds? And they would call his home daily. They'd call his LSAT teacher for up-to-date reports on his list. They'd schmooze his parents with the promises of new jobs, cars and houses. They'd bribe people at his UG to give him $100 handshakes.

LMAO @ you assuming it would be a man...

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:57 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

Adcoms would fly to see the guy and treat him like the top high school basketball recruit in the country. A condo in South Beach? A Ferrari? $1M? Seats at the Lakers? Sex with hot coeds? And they would call his home daily. They'd call his LSAT teacher for up-to-date reports on his list. They'd schmooze his parents with the promises of new jobs, cars and houses. They'd bribe people at his UG to give him $100 handshakes.

Not at all. In fact, I believe a number of the 170+ URM's are women. And black women outperform black men on the exam. But writing as if the prospect was a man worked better with my college basketball recruiting analogy. After all, even Cheryl Miller, Lisa Leslie and Candice Parker, as great as they are/were, didn't get that type of treatment, but you know Shaquile O'Neal, LeBron James and Kevin Garnett did.
Last edited by PDaddy on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Confused&Pissed

Postby Confused&Pissed » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:00 am

PDaddy wrote:

Adcoms would fly to see the guy and treat him like the top high school basketball recruit in the country. A condo in South Beach? A Ferrari? $1M? Seats at the Lakers? Sex with hot coeds? All-you-can-eat dinners at the best restaurants. And they would call his home daily. They'd call his LSAT tutor for up-to-date reports on his list. The LSAT tutor would get a specially created position at the law school. They'd schmooze his parents with the promises of new jobs, cars and houses. They'd bribe people at his UG to give him $100 handshakes.

lol...I agree with GAIA, they would woo her with a trip to rodeo drive :P Would GPA matter?

Postby 20121109 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:04 am

Confused&Pissed wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

lol...I agree with GAIA, they would woo her with a trip to rodeo drive :P Would GPA matter?

Damn....If only I'd done a little better on my LSAT *sigh*....

Let's hope that GPA matters!! More Chanel and Louis for me 8)

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:12 am

Women... :roll: :lol:

GPA may matter more because I think the LSAT is less than one or two years away from being abolished.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... dance.html

The above link hints at Phase-1, schools revolt, ala Michigan, NU (GMAT can admit JD/MBA) and GULC.

superserial

Postby superserial » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:20 am

PDaddy wrote:

same exact reaction.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:21 am

PDaddy wrote:

I thought the same thing too

Grad09

Postby Grad09 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:23 pm

PDaddy wrote:
GPA may matter more because I think the LSAT is less than one or two years away from being abolished.

Not in my lifetime.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:29 pm

PDaddy wrote:Women... :roll: :lol:

The above link hints at Phase-1, schools revolt, ala Michigan, NU (GMAT can admit JD/MBA) and GULC.

Preposterous.

Confused&Pissed

Postby Confused&Pissed » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:03 pm

So no one knows how many URM's hit 180?

faceman9000

Postby faceman9000 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:09 pm

If you score 180, you ARE an URM.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:12 pm

this is a really stupid thread.

i came pretty close though.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:37 pm

Since there are about 10-20 180 scores a year (LinkRemoved), and URMs are a few percent of 170+ scores to begin with, I'm going to go with a maximum of 1 or 2.

EDIT: This link claims 98 people in 3 years (LinkRemoved), but I still think at max 1 or 2 URMs hit 180.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:44 pm

faceman9000 wrote: If you score 180, you ARE an URM.

TITCR! URM...180...Redundant...

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:12 pm

About 110,000 Americans take the test every year. 180 has been reported as 99.98 percentile, which would mean typically about 20 people score 180.

Of those 110,000, about a quarter are URM, so all else being equal, one would expect around 5 URMs scoring 180.

However, all else is not equal; the average score of URMs is lower than the average score of non-URMs, so fewer will be at the top of the distribution.

A fair estimate is 0-4 per year.

Confused&Pissed

Postby Confused&Pissed » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:27 am

voice of reason wrote:About 110,000 Americans take the test every year. 180 has been reported as 99.98 percentile, which would mean typically about 20 people score 180.

Of those 110,000, about a quarter are URM, so all else being equal, one would expect around 5 URMs scoring 180.

However, all else is not equal; the average score of URMs is lower than the average score of non-URMs, so fewer will be at the top of the distribution.

A fair estimate is 0-4 per year.

Thank you, I was just curious.

To Slickback: I was just trying to get an idea of how TOP scoring URM's fair in the admissions game. Congratulations on your score, I'm sure you worked very hard :D GL in your cycle...

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:30 am

PDaddy wrote:Women... :roll: :lol:

NU loves the LSAT. They take the GMAT for JD/MBA types, but those folks have 6 years of work experience and were pushing $100k/year if not more before law school...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:39 am

rayiner wrote:
NU loves the LSAT. They take the GMAT for JD/MBA types, but those folks have 6 years of work experience and were pushing $100k/year if not more before law school...

Why do WE and earnings have anything to do with LSAT performance and why wouldn't they require LSAT for older folks? if anything GPA should weigh less and LSAT should weigh more because there is no better way of measuring current academic potential.

(I still don't like the LSAT but I am just saying under the current system)

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:04 am

PDaddy wrote:
faceman9000 wrote: If you score 180, you ARE an URM.

TITCR! URM...180...Redundant...

Uh... I hate to get technical here, but TINTCR. People with perfect LSAT scores are necessarily overrepresented in law schools, since a significant portion of the test-taking population doesn't enroll in any law school.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”