attn GLBT applicants to GMU, UVA, etc.

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
jjinva

attn GLBT applicants to GMU, UVA, etc.

Postby jjinva » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:26 pm

ec2xs

Re: attn GLBT applicants to GMU, UVA, etc.

Postby ec2xs » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:29 pm

Scary. Thanks for sharing.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:38 pm

"Official representatives of several universities, including the University of Virginia, Virginia Tech, the College of William and Mary and George Mason University, reacted cautiously to the letter, declining to comment and indicating that their governing boards would examine the issue. " That's the saddest part of the whole article. All that is needed for evil to triumph and all that jazz.

Cole S. Law

Postby Cole S. Law » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:51 pm

A completely meaningless political move. Universities are run by far lefties. Even if it is not mandated, they will not discriminate. If anything, they will react by increasing gay hiring to make point. Everyone calm down.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:57 pm

it's really not just the end result that matters. I mean it makes it appear that VA is openly hostile to gays. I mean why is it even bothering anyone that Universities want to declare their intentions not to discriminate?

It's absolute BS. And yes it certainly could have an effect. It said something about not letting universities or local govts. extend partner benefits (I can't access it again because I am not registered and Wpost has the shortest unregistered viewing time I have ever seen). If that's true that may certainly have an effect on hiring- probably small though.

jjinva

Postby jjinva » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:57 pm

I don't notice that the University of Richmond has sexual orientation in their non-discrimination policy, now that I look. They are private anyway...but thats weird. I never thought of them as narrow. Richmond might be the seat of VA's problems, but the city itself always seemed so normal to me.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:32 pm

It is a worrisome development, to say the least, but at this point it's only one letter from the AG (unenforceable). Hopefully the schools in question will hold strong to their beliefs. Their cautious reaction is hopefully out of surprise more than anything else. These schools are run by fairly liberal people (even GMU - the law school is about 1,000,000 times more conservative than the ugrad/grad school), otherwise they might not have these policies in the first place! This really shouldn't affect anyone's decision to go to UVa, GMU, W&M. Potential matriculants should already know that Virginia is a swing state with its fair share of conservatives, and, if that does not dissuade them, I don't think this should.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:41 pm

Cole S. Law wrote:A completely meaningless political move. Universities are run by far lefties. Even if it is not mandated, they will not discriminate. If anything, they will react by increasing gay hiring to make point. Everyone calm down.

Uh... if it were limited to hiring decisions, this would be less troubling. The wording of the letter suggests that the schools are unable to discipline students for potentially offensive anti-homosexual actions or comments.

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:47 pm

someone should start an "Is UVA in decline thread?" if i hadn't withdrawn already, i'd be withdrawing today.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:15 pm

tallboone wrote:someone should start an "Is UVA in decline thread?" if i hadn't withdrawn already, i'd be withdrawing today.

Agreed. Well, on the last part, anyway. When I saw this news yesterday, I was glad to have withdrawn. Maybe I should write UVA a letter telling them that they would never have matriculated me without making a lot more noise than they are making right now. I mean, GMU isn't much of a surprise, and VT is a pretty conservative school, too, but UVA and W&M should really be far less willing to roll over on this.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Not exactly a complete about face on the issue, but reason not to avoid Virginia schools because you think they would be discriminatory:

Gov. McDonnell's Executive Directive One
Issued March 10, 2010

Full text of Governor's directive

STANDARD OF CONDUCT FOR CABINET MEMBERS, EXECUTIVE BRANCH AGENCY HEADS, MANAGERS, SUPERVISORS AND EMPLOYEES CONCERNING EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION

As the chief executive officer for the Commonwealth of Virginia, I hereby establish a standard of conduct to ensure that all cabinet members, Executive Branch agency heads, managers, supervisors and employees understand and enforce state and federal law prohibiting employment discrimination.

Employment discrimination of any kind will not be tolerated by this Administration. The Virginia Human Rights Act recognizes the unlawfulness of conduct that violates any Virginia or federal statute or regulation governing discrimination against certain enumerated classes of persons. The Equal Protection Clause of the United States Constitution prohibits discrimination without a rational basis against any class of persons.

Discrimination based on factors such as one's sexual orientation or parental status violates the Equal Protection Clause of the United States Constitution. Therefore, discrimination against enumerated classes of persons set forth in the Virginia Human Rights Act or discrimination against any class of persons without a rational basis is prohibited.

Consistent with state and federal law, and the Virginia and United States Constitutions, I hereby direct that the hiring, promotion, compensation, treatment, discipline and termination of state employees shall be based on an individual's job qualifications, merit and performance. No employee of the Executive Branch shall engage in any discriminatory conduct against another employee.

Allegations of any violation of the law or this standard of conduct shall be brought promptly to the attention of the Director of the Department of Human Resource Management for review and corrective action. Any cabinet member, agency head, manager, supervisor or employee who discriminates against a state employee or prospective employee in violation of the law or this standard of conduct shall be subject to appropriate disciplinary action, ranging from reprimand to termination.

I further direct agency heads to ensure that every manager and supervisor in their respective agency is aware of and enforces this standard of conduct. Civility, fair treatment, and mutual respect shall be the standard of conduct expected in state employment.

Robert F. McDonnell, Governor

President Casteen approved distribution of this message.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”