Non-URM Minority Success

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
mrm2083
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Non-URM Minority Success

Postby mrm2083 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:29 pm

I've heard of a lot of non-urm Hispanics getting into schools that are a bit of a reach. For the most part these aren't URM type boosts but definitely some kind of help. I thought people could post non-urm minority success stories here to see if we can get on idea of exactly how much being a minority helps. Here are some that I've heard:

164 - in at Vandy
165 - in at Vandy
162 - in at BU
162 - in at Chicago

These all had good GPAs but the schools are still far from a lock.

User avatar
jl2032
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Non-URM Minority Success

Postby jl2032 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:06 pm

I'm a non-URM hispanic.

In at Vandy - 172/3.3

I'd say it's a very small boost at best. But as a splitter, I'll take any help I can get.

User avatar
Joga Bonito
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Non-URM Minority Success

Postby Joga Bonito » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:11 pm

mrm2083 wrote:I've heard of a lot of non-urm Hispanics getting into schools that are a bit of a reach. For the most part these aren't URM type boosts but definitely some kind of help. I thought people could post non-urm minority success stories here to see if we can get on idea of exactly how much being a minority helps. Here are some that I've heard:

164 - in at Vandy
165 - in at Vandy
162 - in at BU
162 - in at Chicago

These all had good GPAs but the schools are still far from a lock.


162 getting into Chicago sounds like a URM to me, maybe this person didn't know he was.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Non-URM Minority Success

Postby miamiman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:19 pm

Nonurm hispanic

166/3.81 - vandy, cornell, nu, chicago

User avatar
Joga Bonito
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Non-URM Minority Success

Postby Joga Bonito » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:16 pm

miamiman wrote:Nonurm hispanic

166/3.81 - vandy, cornell, nu, chicago


U Cuban?

mrm2083
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: Non-URM Minority Success

Postby mrm2083 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:30 pm

Most of the people I'm talking about are Cubans, no URMs i promise :D From my experience Cubans have definitely gotten a little bit of a boost, they are mostly not insane but something. Hopefully I will get the same kind of love

User avatar
Joga Bonito
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Non-URM Minority Success

Postby Joga Bonito » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:57 pm

mrm2083 wrote:Most of the people I'm talking about are Cubans, no URMs i promise :D From my experience Cubans have definitely gotten a little bit of a boost, they are mostly not insane but something. Hopefully I will get the same kind of love


Yeah thats what I was gonna say, I pretty sure some hispanic non urms get sort of special consideration and the one I was gonna mention was Cubans and nobody mentions them, but def. Dominicans too and maybe some other folks too.

Grad09
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: Non-URM Minority Success

Postby Grad09 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:39 am

I'm Cuban and waiting my Feb LSAT score. I really hope you guys are right about the boost.

BTW, did any Cubans NOT apply to UM? I did, but I got no money. I am above their 75th LSAT but around their median gpa. Should I not be surprised I got no money? What LSAT score would give me a tool for renegotiation?

I only got into UMiami right now (and Golden Gate) but I have around 10 reaches on my app list. I'll keep you posted for anyone interested in judging their chances for future cycles.


PS If I were to guess, I would think hispanics across the board get boosts, especially rarer hispanics (like Salvadorans and Dominicans). Especially with a history of socioeconomic disadvantage. Now, if you're one of those lucky few... not so much. But thats just my guess.

mrm2083
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: Non-URM Minority Success

Postby mrm2083 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:04 pm

I definitely don't think UM would give a boost to Cubans because there are so many. Did you apply late, from what I've read they give a 2/3 scholarship to numbers around 160/3.5 and up as long as you applied by the first week of January. It seems like after that soft deadline they don't give scholarships to anyone.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Non-URM Minority Success

Postby miamiman » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:
miamiman wrote:Nonurm hispanic

166/3.81 - vandy, cornell, nu, chicago


U Cuban?


Claro que si

User avatar
Joga Bonito
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Non-URM Minority Success

Postby Joga Bonito » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:30 pm

miamiman wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:
miamiman wrote:Nonurm hispanic

166/3.81 - vandy, cornell, nu, chicago


U Cuban?


Claro que si


Thats what I figured based on ur numbers and ur acceptances.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Non-URM Minority Success

Postby miamiman » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:35 pm

Its case by case. And I've been rejected by quite a few too.

pollaclc
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:12 am

Re: Non-URM Minority Success

Postby pollaclc » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:41 pm

Grad09 wrote:PS If I were to guess, I would think hispanics across the board get boosts, especially rarer hispanics (like Salvadorans and Dominicans). Especially with a history of socioeconomic disadvantage. Now, if you're one of those lucky few... not so much. But thats just my guess.


i'd be really happy if this was right.

User avatar
Joga Bonito
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Non-URM Minority Success

Postby Joga Bonito » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:49 pm

miamiman wrote:Its case by case. And I've been rejected by quite a few too.


Well, you got some great choices so I'm sure you'll be fine.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ac8876a and 2 guests