Canceled test, Orthodox Conversion, screwed, suggestions??

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
jtweissbrot

Canceled test, Orthodox Conversion, screwed, suggestions??

Postby jtweissbrot » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:02 pm

Brand-new to the forum, looking for suggestions, and quickly.

I've been sabbath-observant for awhile now, but officially not Orthodox Jewish -- I am having my conversion Beit Din tomorrow, Feb 18.

I was scheduled to take the canceled Feb 6th LSAT. I couldn't get a shomer-shabbat letter, naturally, because I hadn't had my conversion yet, and since I was technically not bound by any laws, I technically could take the test on Shabbat. Wasn't looking forward to it, but, I could.

Feb 6th was, of course, snowed out, and now rescheduled for Feb 20th. AFTER my conversion, so I will not be able to take the test.

LSAC is refusing to even acknowledge that I have a situation here.

Act of Hashem? Test? Golden-Calf moment?

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

jw

PS -- it's way too easy to say I shouldn't have waited until the last test of the year; I didn't even plan on taking an LSAT or going to Law School before the year started. There's a lot of excess baggage that went into the decision. Bottom line is, it looks like everything, including starting a family, gets delayed a year.

oh_dear

Re: Canceled test, Orthodox Conversion, screwed, suggestions??

Postby oh_dear » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:15 pm

damn, i guess you'll just have to have an "absence" or whatever that's called (which is not the same as a "canceled test", btw). also, even though you may be angry at having to wait another year, your chances at getting into good schools will go up a LOT if you just apply next year anyway.

Edit: I also wanted to get this in:

--ImageRemoved--

Creed Fan

Postby Creed Fan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:28 pm

*beaten to the Walter Sobchak reference and hangs head in shame*

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:32 pm

AKAlicious

Postby AKAlicious » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:33 pm

jtweissbrot wrote:I couldn't get a shomer-shabbat letter, naturally, because I hadn't had my conversion yet,

That isn't really a valid excuse, no offense. Pretty much any rabbi would have been sympathetic and would have written you a letter so you could get a Monday seat. Too little, too late, but the reality is that orthodox conversion is a long process so presumably you knew of this issue well in advance but failed to address it.

yeff

Postby yeff » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:58 am

Not sure why this came back from the dead, but OP, this is a blessing in disguise. Get your app in in September/October, and reap the rewards.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:38 am

I'm not sure why this thread came back to life, but I think its hilarious that someone posted about being Jewish in the "Under Represented Law Student" forum.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”