URM LSAT Boost?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Miznitic

URM LSAT Boost?

Postby Miznitic » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:51 pm

Dumb question I'm sure, but I haven't been able to find an answer in my searching.

Upon scoring the LSAT, is there an actual Points boost if one is a URM? E.g., Person gets a 159, but because they are an URM, they get that bumped up a few points to a 165? Or is it only in the actual admittance process where a URM will get that bump?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Re: URM LSAT Boost?

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:55 pm

Miznitic wrote:Dumb question I'm sure, but I haven't been able to find an answer in my searching.

Upon scoring the LSAT, is there an actual Points boost if one is a URM? E.g., Person gets a 159, but because they are an URM, they get that bumped up a few points to a 165? Or is it only in the actual admittance process where a URM will get that bump?

There is (with rare exception) no specific number of points that can be paired with an applicant based solely on race. I am generally unwilling to engage in any sort of conjecture on this matter but for the sake of answering the question, I turned to Anna Ivey’s “The Ivey Guide to Law School Admissions: Straight Advice on Essays, Resumes, Interviews, and More”. In it, Ivey (a former admissions director, contends that schools may give as much as a ten point boost in the LSAT score to URMs. However, she fails to differentiate between the various URM’s. However, before counting up your LSAT points with a boost, I have to admonish that, universally, there is limited empirical data regarding a general boost at all schools .
Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richie Tenenbaum

Re: URM LSAT Boost?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:01 pm

Miznitic wrote:Dumb question I'm sure, but I haven't been able to find an answer in my searching.

The bump only happens in the actual admittance process and there is no hard and fast rule to what the actual bump is.

I would venture a guess that qualifying Hispanic can get a bump of around 5pts, AA can get a bump of around 10 pts, and NA can get a bump of 10+ pts. That is just a guess on my part, anyone can feel free to correct any of those numbers if you think I'm off. Keep in mind too that just b/c an URM can get a bump that means they are guaranteed to get such a bump. I think softs play a bigger role in an URM's application cycle.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”