"Non-Mexican or Puerto Rican Hispanics are not URMs"

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
ilovethelsat

"Non-Mexican or Puerto Rican Hispanics are not URMs"

Postby ilovethelsat » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:11 pm

I see this line bandied about on this forum all the time. However, I have never seen any evidence to suggest that it's true. Could someone provide evidence showing that non-Mexican or Puerto Rican Hispanics are not given URM boosts? I find it really hard to believe that Central and South Americans are treated identically to whites and Asians in law school admissions.

Mr. Matlock

Re: "Non-Mexican or Puerto Rican Hispanics are not URMs"

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:12 pm

Let it go.... just let it go.

latinolaw

Postby latinolaw » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:20 pm

I still haven't gotten a very clear answer on this. As a quasi Mexican American (one Mexican parent) who grew up in South America, I want to know how the adcoms are viewing my app. I checked the Latino/Mexican American box where and when I could. My diversity statement is stellar and I think that I prove, without a doubt that I would bring a unique perspective. And I still wouldn't get a boost because I am Latino, and not Mexican-American??

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:52 am

latinolaw wrote:I still haven't gotten a very clear answer on this. As a quasi Mexican American (one Mexican parent) who grew up in South America, I want to know how the adcoms are viewing my app. I checked the Latino/Mexican American box where and when I could. My diversity statement is stellar and I think that I prove, without a doubt that I would bring a unique perspective. And I still wouldn't get a boost because I am Latino, and not Mexican-American??

If you checked the Mexican-American box, then what's the problem?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:59 am

im_blue wrote:
latinolaw wrote:I still haven't gotten a very clear answer on this. As a quasi Mexican American (one Mexican parent) who grew up in South America, I want to know how the adcoms are viewing my app. I checked the Latino/Mexican American box where and when I could. My diversity statement is stellar and I think that I prove, without a doubt that I would bring a unique perspective. And I still wouldn't get a boost because I am Latino, and not Mexican-American??

If you checked the Mexican-American box, then what's the problem?

adcomms are prescient.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”