2009- 2010 URM Stats and Cycle - In /Out /WL Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
novacuseville

New

2009- 2010 URM Stats and Cycle - In /Out /WL

Post by novacuseville » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:03 pm

I figured I would just start this thread. I think it will be truly helpful for all. My cycle is not completely done yet so I will not update my complete stats (numbers a bit fudged in LSN until I am done). Will update numbers and softs once everything is said and done. Feel free to post now and then update!

AA Male
GPA
LSAT

In

Out

WL

novacuseville

New

Re: 2009- 2010 URM Stats and Cycle - In /Out /WL

Post by novacuseville » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:05 pm

**Quote** APimpNamedSlickBack

I am taking a long tls hiatus after this, but just wanted to punch in some numbers for the thread. feel free to cut and paste this post into any new thread you guys start.

black male
top 20 UG
2 years WE in investment banking and other financial services
degree granting gpa (lsac gpa): 3.2 (3.72)...transferred, did better at new school
lsat: 174

harvard: in, class of '13
columbia: deferred early decision (had a 170 at the time however, and retook in dec 09)
nyu: in
chicago: in
northwestern: in
michigan: in
georgetown: in
vandy: in
texas: in (w/ $$$)
uva: waitlisted
penn: out
cornell: out

i hope this helps. feel free to pm with any questions. good luck everyone!!!!!!!

novacuseville

New

Post by novacuseville » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:06 pm

**Quote** elmagic

My cycle is pretty much over and I don't post much on here but I'd like to contribute with my stats and acceptances for future applicants.

Mexican-American 3.85-3.9 HYPS 166-167
Great softs truman/marshall/rhodes scholar
(Sorry for not being more specific but even though my cycle is pretty much over I think I can be identified pretty easily).

In at:
Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Cornell
NYU
Columbia
Berkeley
UCLA

WL at:
UVA
Chicago

Rejected:
Notre Dame
USC

Still waiting on aid, but most likely ending up at Yale unless Stanford offers me good money.

rowlf

Bronze

Post by rowlf » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Good idea, novacuseville, since some earlier applicants are done or nearing the end of their cycle. People can edit and add as we go along.

I'd like to suggest a few ground rules:
- Include: URM status, GPA, LSAT, topic of PS/DS, mention of any other essays or addendums included, description of softs, schools applied to and whether you were admitted/WL/rejected/pending, and tips/comments/thoughts on your cycle.
- No comments or congratulations, discuss in other threads.
- Don’t just include your LSN profile, include the basics, then link to LSN.
- Be as specific as you are comfortable with. We’re not here to out anyone. However, a reasonably informative range for both LSAT and GPA should be included. Do not fudge, give a range if you aren’t comfortable with specifics.

bottomshelf

New

Post by bottomshelf » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:35 pm

Hispanic (non-Cuban/non-Mexican)
GPA - 3.68
LSAT - 171

Softs - Master's degree, work experience in the public sector

PS - about family, immigration, and commitment to public service
DS - about travels in Latin America

In - Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Penn (Levy invite, $$), Michigan (Darrow, $$$$), Georgetown, Duke (PT), Cornell (EA)

Pending - Harvard (held)

Waitlist - UVA

LSN link is in my profile!

Thoughts: Start the PS and DS way ahead of time. I spent several months hashing out the ideas for both essays. Don't bug your friends/SO with editing until you have what you think is a final draft (or if you get stuck). Always be open to edits, but don't employ all of them.

Also, study your ass off for the LSAT. It's by far the most important thing you can do. I took two months from working, used my savings to pay for living expenses, and it helped tremendously to have all day to study. It's a learnable test, but don't get discouraged about it! It'll only set you back.
Last edited by bottomshelf on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:34 pm

AA male
LSAC gpa: 3.3(ish)
LSAT: PM

softs: did some clubs and worked a lot in undergrad

In:
Virginia (ED)
Alabama (full tuition)
Ohio State
Boston U
Cincinnati
W&L
W&M (some $$)
Florida State
Baylor (good $$)

Getting in UVA ended my cycle before I heard back from a great many schools about scholarships and whether they wanted me there or not

Advice: Study hard for LSAT, and apply as early as possible.
Last edited by Doritos on Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:48 pm

AA Female
LSAC GPA 3.51
LSAT: PM me.

Undergrad: Small Private/Participated in Clubs, Athletics, and Leadership Opportunities

Softs: Worked on Capitol Hill, Worked full time throughout undergrad as a consultant the federal government, Did a bunch of clubs in undergrad.

In:
NYU [Attending!]
Chicago
UVA
Cornell (with 99K/yr) [withdrawn]
Illinois (with 20K/yr) [withdrawn]
WUSTL [withdrawn]
Indiana-Bloomington [withdrawn]
Notre Dame [withdrawn]
George Mason [withdrawn]
Villanova [withdrawn]

Out (Can't win them all!)
Georgetown
Michigan
Yale

Pending
Northwestern (Held) (Withdrew)

DS/PS/Addendums
My PS was about my family and our unique background. I talked specifically about our interaction with the child welfare community.

My DS was about how diversity isn't just a race issue and then I focused on my socioeconomic, familial, and racial diversity.

Thoughts?
Apply early! Some people say this doesn't matter and its over-emphasized here on TLS, but I don't believe that to be true. I applied with the exact same numbers last year and had terrible results. So apply as early as possible without sacrificing the quality of your application.

Start your PS/DS early and ask for input from other experienced writers. Try not to sacrifice your message because others pressure you to change something about it.
Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 14 times in total.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:01 pm

This is fun!

URM: AA Male
GPA: 3.4
LSAT: 166

School I applied:
UVA (IN)
PENN (IN)
Chicago (IN)
NYU-(In)
Harvard-OUt
Yale-Out
Gtown- In

misslawyer2013

New

Post by misslawyer2013 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:27 pm

URM: AA Female
Gpa: 3.4
LSAT 158 . 163

In
Wash U
USC
NYU

Out
Georgetown

WL
UVA
George Washington

Held/Deffered
Cornell
Harvard

Pending
Columbia
Penn
Duke
Vandy
Emory
Howard

PS: Journey to Africa; comparing poverty there to the poverty I experienced growing up
DS: My adoption & later orphan status and how that shaped my views

Advice: Study study study -- don't get discouraged-- & stay positive; Maybe even take a break from TLS because sometimes it's hard to stay positve with TOO much law talk.

Oh & this...
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
Be humble. You may have been the business in high school/college, but this is law school. Recognize that there are eighty other people just like you. Maybe schools can't sense humility, but they can sense cockiness and from what I hear, they frown on it.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:40 pm

Hispanic (non-Mexican, non-Puerto Rican) and White
GPA: ~3.5
LSAT: 169
UG School: Large Public
Softs: Nothing all that special -
Worked thorugh undergrad (30+ hrs/wk), clubs/government/honor society, arts-based merit scholar, volunteer work

In:
Washington and Lee (24K/yr)
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities (20K/yr)
Washington University in St. Louis (39K/yr)
Notre Dame (22K/yr)
George Washington University (30K/yr + 1 year of housing)
University of Southern California (10k/yr)
UC Davis
Cornell

Out:
Harvard (no real shock there)
Northwestern
University of Pennsylvania

WL:
University of Virginia
Duke
University of Chicago
Georgetown
University of Michigan
UCLA
Boston University (withdrew)
William and Mary (withdrew)
Boston College (withdrew)
Vanderbilt (withdrew)

PS: I primarily focused on dealing with a serious medical diagnosis and working my way through it.
DS: I did not write one, as I felt that my PS functioned as a sort of DS. In retrospect, I do wish I had written something about how growing up in a mixed ethnicity household had shaped who I was.

Advice: If you have a dream school, and you think you have no shot, try anyway. I was not initially going to apply to most of the T14 schools I ended up trying for (fee waivers won me over), and I ended up on waitlists at schools I expected rejections from. If you have the fee waiver, take the shot. Worst thing any school can possibly say is "no".

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me. :)
Last edited by mi-chan17 on Fri May 21, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:49 pm

"Why do they post all their business on the internet?"
"I dunno man. Let's guess who this one is."

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:03 am

Be humble. You may have been the business in high school/college, but this is law school. Recognize that there are eighty other people just like you. Maybe schools can't sense humility, but they can sense cockiness and from what I hear, they frown on it.
I don't agree, if you know you are good then you should scream it through your application. Especially have references to back up what you are saying. Don't downplay your accomplishments just make sure its something worth mentioning.

Illijah

Bronze

Post by Illijah » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:24 am

hiromoto45 wrote:
I don't agree, if you know you are good then you should scream it through your application. Especially have references to back up what you are saying. Don't downplay your accomplishments just make sure its something worth mentioning.
agreed. I don't feel that applications is the time to be humble

keylimelove

New

Post by keylimelove » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:43 am

Kohinoor wrote:"Why do they post all their business on the internet?"
This.

b0dylanguage

New

Post by b0dylanguage » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:50 am

Last edited by b0dylanguage on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drea1919

New

Post by Drea1919 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:10 am

Advice: apply early. And take the LSAT in Feb or June. I waited until Sept LSAT and didn't start apps until november. Also, I did not really research schools. If I had and found this website earlier (and actually read), I probably would have applied to more reach (i.e. HYS). Also, take time with your personal statement, they actually read them and there is an entire network of people willing to give advice, use it. Apply for one safety you can get admitted to within two-three weeks so you feel confident moving forward that you are going to law school no matter what and then all you had to do is be ecstatic when your reach school decisions come in.

In:
UW (just kind of assumed it was where I would go)
Chicago (was first choice)
Marquette

Withdrew before decision:
northwestern
uiuc
cornell (only applied bc my dad really wanted me to. I had no desire to go to Ithaca but the fee waiver I figured why not)

Puerto Rican Female
3.7/170
big ten undergrad/grad- tons of activities and honors and worked full time, graduated and finished both in 3.5 years
4 years we and community involvement
ps: didn't mention anything about diversity. Actually it was a really good statement in my opinion, that went through a typical day in my life, woven throughout the statement were experiences that had influenced me and my decisions (pm if you ever want to see it)
did all extra statements asked
had two academic ref, two work ref

Good luck everyone next cycle and in law school.
Last edited by Drea1919 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:11 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

keylimelove

New

Post by keylimelove » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:23 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
keylimelove wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:"Why do they post all their business on the internet?"
This.
I'm a bit bothered by the fear of anonymous online forum posts being counted against applicants without certainty by admissions committee members. I admittedly share this fear, but I feel like it's irrational since there are thousands of people with similar statistics. I've seen several people with identical numbers who could easily be mistaken for each other, and a few people with numbers nearly identical to my own. I think they have a responsibility not to let speculative assumptions enter into their decisions, so I shouldn't really be worried. Is this not the case?
I think you would be surprised how easy it is to pinpoint people from their TLS posts, GPA/LSAT, UG type, and PS/DS topics. The more unique your numbers, background and personal story are, the easier you are to identify. There are only so many qualified URMs applying to particular top schools, and yes many have similar numbers, but combined with all of the personal facts that everyone inevitably lets slip out, identifying people doesn't take that much effort. I could have told you the names of 95% of the Chicago 1Ls who posted on TLS before we even started classes (with the help of facebook of course) and I'm sure a few of them picked me out.

I doubt that schools have staff members who are dedicated to identifying TLS posters, but I think a lot of people underestimate the "anonymity" of TLS/the internet...I'd just be cautious of putting everything out there.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:53 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

keylimelove

New

Post by keylimelove » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:20 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
keylimelove wrote:I think you would be surprised how easy it is to pinpoint people from their TLS posts, GPA/LSAT, UG type, and PS/DS topics. The more unique your numbers, background and personal story are, the easier you are to identify. There are only so many qualified URMs applying to particular top schools, and yes many have similar numbers, but combined with all of the personal facts that everyone inevitably lets slip out, identifying people doesn't take that much effort. I could have told you the names of 95% of the Chicago 1Ls who posted on TLS before we even started classes (with the help of facebook of course) and I'm sure a few of them picked me out.

I doubt that schools have staff members who are dedicated to identifying TLS posters, but I think a lot of people underestimate the "anonymity" of TLS/the internet...I'd just be cautious of putting everything out there.
I understand that it might be easy to do, but the simple fact that there would always be at least the slightest bit of uncertainty necessitates that the information be disregarded by any responsible admissions committee. I assume they have enough integrity to know that they have this obligation and to respect it. The absence of absolute certainty should lead to complete inattention.
Just because there is the slightest uncertainty doesnt mean they wont pass your app over for someone who they are sure about. The fact is, there are hundreds of people who would kill to be in your spot and who are not putting themselves out all over the internet. It's their job to study peoples numbers, backgrounds, writing, etc...i'd guess that they're pros at pointing people out based on their apps. And honestly, they have no obligation to be just or moral in their decision making...the only thing they need to do is fill the class, how they get there is their prerogative.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:24 pm

Please do not keep arguing on what was supposed to be only a list of stats and acceptances. We were trying to help those who are going to be applying next year without the clutter (fun and healthy discussion that it is) that is in the other URM thread. So I guess if you want to continue this...please do it over there. Thanks!

Player21

New

Post by Player21 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:27 pm

Does applying early matter that much? Because, I actually didn't plan on applying until early December because I think I want to retake the LSAT in October.

jrobby6

Bronze

Post by jrobby6 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:55 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Please do not keep arguing on what was supposed to be only a list of stats and acceptances. We were trying to help those who are going to be applying next year without the clutter (fun and healthy discussion that it is) that is in the other URM thread. So I guess if you want to continue this...please do it over there. Thanks!
+100000000000000000000000000000

lawrencecis

New

Post by lawrencecis » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:08 am

Player21 wrote:Does applying early matter that much? Because, I actually didn't plan on applying until early December because I think I want to retake the LSAT in October.
+1 Really want to know as well.

sikwitt

New

Post by sikwitt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:26 am

Advice: I'm not so certain of the importance of applying early. I sent out apps Nov 30th and I think I've done just fine so far. I will stress th importance of starting the process early though. Line up recs at the end of junior year and be in contact over the summer. Take the June LSAT. Start PS/DS over the summer. The less you have to do at crunch time the better. While applying somewhat later may not hurt you, applying early can only help.

Stats

AA Male
Top 25 UG
3.2 (bad freshman year, 3.5 without)
decent softs, tons of volunteering, officer in non-profit, wrote book with prof.

Cycle not complete but I will update

IN
William and Mary
Boston (15k/year)
ND (15k/year)
NYU
Illinois (30k/year)
Indiana (25K)
Georgetown

OUT
UCLA
Boalt
George Washington

HELD
Harvard

PENDING
Stanford
Columbia
Chicago
Duke
Cornell
USC
Emory
Minnesota
UC Davis

Final thought: Thanks to everyone doing this. I honestly had no where to turn for advice on the entire process and I shudder to think what my cycle would look like without TLS help, especially from other URMs.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”