Older law school student prospect

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
bedbathandbeheadings

Re: Older law school student prospect

Postby bedbathandbeheadings » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:27 pm

Age is going to be a factor when it comes time to hire. I think places like JAG have age cutoffs (can't be over 35?)? There are probably other places with age cutoffs too (tend to be 35). What type of experience do you have? If you are older, they are going to want to see substantive work experience--not goofing off ten years and deciding to go to law school (not saying you did that, but they look at it).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:58 pm

I am 33. I will be starting this year or next. I have a 9 months old and I will probably have 1 or 2 more before the end of law school. Not only do I look forward to attending to law school, I am aiming to be 1st in class :)

I think the impact of your age on post graduate hiring will depend on what you did before. I plan to pursue the legal side of my previous career so my 10+ years of experience should help rather than hinder. I also have been teaching here and there and I would be open to a professor position down the road. I think trying for junior associate in big law would probably be a bit difficult for someone in the late 30's early 40's, but there are many other fullfilling well-paid positions to choose from where we older grads will be valued.

ArmyVet07

Postby ArmyVet07 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:45 am

bedbathandbeheadings wrote:Age is going to be a factor when it comes time to hire. I think places like JAG have age cutoffs (can't be over 35?)? There are probably other places with age cutoffs too (tend to be 35). What type of experience do you have? If you are older, they are going to want to see substantive work experience--not goofing off ten years and deciding to go to law school (not saying you did that, but they look at it).

The maximum age for JAG varies by branch and can be extended by prior service (waivers are also possible).

I don't know whether it's mandated by the ABA, but many law schools have anti-discrimination policies for employers (this is the objection many law schools have with DADT) which include age as one of the factors. I hope this means any employer with an age cutoff would not be welcome.

granger

Postby granger » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:53 am

My mom is a pretty awesome success story. Went to law school around 1996, when she was 36. She's incredibly bright, but she needed to go to a school we could afford and be close enough to home for obvious reasons (three kids at the time, none of which were teenagers.) She went to what I'm guessing is a T3. She did an awesome job raising us, passed three bars on the first try, and did a great job in LS. A few months ago she was named partner at her firm, which has around 400 attorneys.

Also she's just the best person.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:08 am

I'm a 38 year old 2L, and so far my experience has been great! While I'm certainly one of the oldest folks in my class (it mostly ranges from about 24 - 33 or so) everybody hangs out and is pretty cool and I don't feel like "the old guy."
As far as job prospects...I'm working at a very small firm (just a couple of lawyers) in my spare time...I'm gonna stick with them this summer. The hiring situation is brutal, but I'm in no worse a situation than anyone else (and better than most...I bet less than half will have any kind of paying job this summer).
Bottom line is I think you'll be fine. There will be times, especially during 1L, where you won't see much of your family, so make sure you're all prepared for that.
Anyway....I'd say do it! Good luck!

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:31 am

Early 40's here, and happy to find other older applicants. I'm already having nightmares about showing up on the first day and being Grandma Moses in a room full of 22 year olds.

I just submitted my apps when the Feb LSAT scores came out, so I may be too late for this cycle. I'm hoping some nice adcomm finds my work experience and PS interesting enough to give me a shot. I have a feeling it's going to be a long wait for me... *sigh*

OlderHopeful

Postby OlderHopeful » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:41 pm

I will be 39 when I walk into my 1L class later this year. With a working husband and an eight year old child I would be lying if I said that I'm not terrified. But, I look at my little guy and it fuels me to succeed. I intend to make it to the top of the class, Law Review, the works!!! We can do it!!! We have more reason and drive to succeed. Good luck!!!

RUQRU

Postby RUQRU » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:36 pm

swflgirl wrote:Hi all,
I wanted to say hello and that I am glad I found this thread. I am 36, studying for the June 2010 LSAT and hope to enroll for fall of 2011. I have no children and will be divorced by then but I have to say that I am pretty nervous about being so much older than everyone else. On the other hand,...

You have life experience that should provide maturity and confidence that those entering right out of college do not. You will be fine.
Last edited by RUQRU on Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Wed May 05, 2010 6:44 am

I'm 34 and I cannot wait to start school in the fall. We are taking our a second mortgage on our home to buy a place near UCLA, instead of renting for three years. With the realestate market in the tank we are going to take advantage of the low costs. We'll rent out our current place while we are gone. I also got a GI BIll and Yellow Ribbon Scholarship to pay for law school. I've been planning on going to law school for 6 years and the plan is finally coming together.

The OP asked about LSAT prep. Use Pithypike's guide posted here on TLS. Study 4-5 hours per night, 5 -6 nights per week for about 3 months. Do every available PT. Use only real LSAT questions. Use Powerscore bibles. Take a testmasters, blueprint or Powerscore course if possible.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Fri May 07, 2010 10:09 am

I found testmasters and powerscore useful. Also for LG the (out of print) Big Fat Genius guide--but that method has some flaws and is best used as an alternative/supplement.

I'm starting this Fall, I'll be 30.

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Fri May 07, 2010 1:16 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Spend the money, take a prep classs, and dedicate a few months to acing the LSAT.

I agree with vanwinkle's entire post, but wanted to highlight the importance of this part.

I didn't realize that the LSAT was learnable before I found TLS (after I applied) so I ended up not preparing for it and not doing very well (156). I managed to get in to the school I wanted, but I'm paying sticker while people with significantly lower GPAs (below 3, compared to my 4.0) are getting significant scholarship money with LSAT scores only slightly higher.

I thought about withdrawing and applying again next year with a higher score (I am certain that I could raise it 8-10 points) to get some scholarship money, but at this point in my life (I turned 40 after sending my app in) I think that the year is worth more to me than the scholarship money. If I had know how learnable the test was at the beginning, I wouldn't have had to make the choice between starting now or having a higher score later. I could have had my proverbial cake and eaten it too!

Best of luck to all the other old fogies out there who are headed back to school with me! :mrgreen:

Sammi

Postby Sammi » Wed May 12, 2010 3:41 pm

Glad to see the non-traditional ladies represent. I'll be 27 when I enter law school... so I'm on the lower end of the spectrum of "older" but being out of school for a while makes me worry about whether I can get back into the hyper-competitive law school mode that is required to make my going back to school (after having a completely different career path), incurring tons of debt, and then venturing out into a not-so-great looking job market worth it :)

TonyDigital

Postby TonyDigital » Wed May 12, 2010 3:48 pm

Sammi wrote:Glad to see the non-traditional ladies represent. I'll be 27 when I enter law school... so I'm on the lower end of the spectrum of "older" but being out of school for a while makes me worry about whether I can get back into the hyper-competitive law school mode that is required to make my going back to school (after having a completely different career path), incurring tons of debt, and then venturing out into a not-so-great looking job market worth it :)

I will be turning 31 right after the semester starts and am wondering all of that too! As for me, I was in the military and never went to a regular college full-time for my undergrad or grad degrees. GL to you and everyone else in the thread that's facing similar concerns. We shouldn't consider them worries, just concerns :)

andreea7

Postby andreea7 » Wed May 12, 2010 4:03 pm

I am 28 and while I am married, our only true responsabilities at this time are two dogs. Nonetheless, I just wanted to express my admiration for all the people who do so much -- raising children and building a new career. How impressive and inspiring.

deeirwin

Postby deeirwin » Wed May 12, 2010 4:27 pm

I am thrilled to have found this thread. I am also a mother of three, and will also be starting as a 1L in August. I have to agree with many others. I think that life experience and family responsibilities will be helpful. I know that going into law school that I HAVE to do well. Having children gives you a drive to succeed. Good luck to all of you!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”