Do I qualify as a non-traditional?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Allagion

Do I qualify as a non-traditional?

Postby Allagion » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:48 am

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my non-traditional status. Also, will the softs I list help me? Thanks.

-26 year old white male.
-Worked full-time at community college 40+ hours/week.
-Severe family financial crisis forced me to not attend school for 1 1/2 years (I was basically paying the mortgage for a year on $9.50/hr.)
-Diagnosed with ADHD at 7.
-Diagnosed with clinical depression at 13, received treatment, I'm fine now.
-JROTC in HS, black belt in taekwondo.
-I converted to Judaism from Christianity at 17.
-I want to provide low cost or pro bono services to people whom have been: 1)Screwed over by workers comp (like me). 2)Subject to wrongful termination (See severe financial crisis above).
-Working knowledge of Russian (speak, read, write).
Last edited by Allagion on Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

booboo

Re: Do I qualify as a non-traditional?

Postby booboo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:49 am

Allagion wrote:Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my non-traditional status. Also, will the softs I list help me? Thanks.

-26 year old white male.
-Worked full-time at community college 40+ hours/week.
-Severe family financial crisis forced me to not attend school for 1 1/2 years (I was basically paying the mortgage for a year on $9.50/hr.)
-Diagnosed with ADHD at 7.
-Diagnosed with clinical depression at 13, received treatment, I'm fine now.
-JROTC in HS, black belt in taekwondo.
-I converted to Judaism from Christianity at 17.
-I want to provide low cost or pro bono services to people whom have been: 1)Screwed over by workers comp 2)Subject to wrongful termination (See severe financial crisis above).

I would like to think so.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:44 am

I don't think so.

Allagion

Postby Allagion » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:40 am

I was wondering, what makes me non-traditional? Does my full-time work experience count only after undergrad? Are my softs of no consequence?

1WingedAngel

Postby 1WingedAngel » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:39 pm

I don't know if you're non-traditional. You're on the young side, but you are switching careers.

AS for softs, I think your work experience, experiences with the law/workers comp/wrongful termin, and language fluency will help. For your ADHD and clinical depression, don't forget to explain how that overcoming that hurdle taught you valuable things that you can apply to law school, etc

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:47 pm

Do you mean to say that you paid for your parent's mortgage for a year? If so, that might just right there make you non-traditional. Well, at least you are unusual (in a good way, like a rare bird, not like a strange perv). If apps ask, check the box yes, and your PS will make the case, even if your age does not imply it.

Allagion

Postby Allagion » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:24 pm

I extend a hearty thank you to all whom replied. Yes, I do explain in my personal statement how overcoming my conditions made me better over all. However, the boards do seem schizophrenic on the subject of depression. Indeed the boards as a whole don't seem to agree on numerous issues. Are there any schools that are hostile to learning disabilities, etc.?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”