Suggested "Softs" for URMs?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
AmbitiousPanda

Suggested "Softs" for URMs?

Postby AmbitiousPanda » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:45 am

HELLO TLS WORLD! [This is my first post!]

Just curious if anyone has suggestions on how URMs can boost their app package with "softs"? Outside of becoming a Rhodes (or Marshall, Gates, etc.) Scholar, what are the strongest ways to supplement one's application package?

I'm taking the LSAT in June and I have a 3.63 GPA from a top #30 university.

Thanks in advance everyone!

PDaddy

Re: Suggested "Softs" for URMs?

Postby PDaddy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:00 am

Overcame disadvantage (economic/financial/geographic)
Attended rural school/school where significant numbers of students drop out, and where few go to college
Overcame physical trauma/lost relatives
Cared for ill/terminally ill loved one (especially if it interrupted studies)
Raised sibling(s)
Worked during high college and/or even high school
Overcame racism
War veteran/Police Officer (especially if wounded)
College/Pro/Olympic Athlete
Ran own business
Awards for performances at jobs, such as high sales, great service, loss retention, etc (cite how recognized)
Extensive community service (i.e., Teach for America, AmeriCorps, United Way, etc)
Attended school in another country/military brat
Multilingual
Started/ran charity
Taught while in college or did internships/externships in "education field"
Participated/assisted on prestigious or worthwhile research project
Authored/wrote a book, magazine, manuscript, script, play, movie, published diary, critique, article, etc
Ran innovative website
Saved life of a stranger
Escaped gang/criminal activity to become a stellar student
Overcame drug/alcohol addiction or counseled addicts
Worked in a prison/juvenile detention facility
Had an offbeat career
Professional artist such as: actor, singer, dancer, comedian, model, photographer, author, cartoonist, painter
Unusual skills (ex: circus work, breeding animals, etc)
Holds a graduate or professional degree or certificate
Wrote insane essays about any of the above!!
Last edited by PDaddy on Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.

articulably suspect

Postby articulably suspect » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:05 am

PDaddy wrote:Overcame disadvantage (economic/financial/geographic)
Attended rural school/school where significant numbers of students drop out, and where few go to college
Overcame physical trauma/lost relatives
Cared for ill/terminally ill loved one (especially if it interrupted studies)
Raised sibling(s)
Worked during high college and/or even high school
Overcame racism
War veteran (especially if wounded)
College/Pro/Olympic Athlete
Ran own business
Awards for performances at jobs, such as high sales, great service, loss retention, etc (cite how recognized)
Extensive community service
Attended school in another country/military brat
Started/ran charity
Taught while in college or did internships/externships in education
Participated/assisted on prestigious or worthwhile research project
Authored a book
Ran innovative website
Saved life of a stranger
Escaped gang/criminal activity to become a stellar student
Overcame drug/alcohol addiction or counseled addicts
Worked in a prison/juvenile detention facility
Had an offbeat career
Professional artist such as: broadway actor, singer, model, photographer, author, cartoonist, painter, etc

Are these in any particular order?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:07 am

ejjones wrote:
Are these in any particular order?

Nope. Keep in mind that these softs are good for anyone.

All can be great softs, depending on how they're presented. What is most important to the applicant is what counts, because that will come through in the essays and on the resume. That's all adcoms care about. Write about "what moves you".

Note: You should probably remove the quote you saved, because it will shorten the scroll of the page. My list is very long. The other posters will know you are referring to my post above.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:26 am

3.6+ gpa/165+ lsat

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:33 am

Kohinoor wrote:3.6+ gpa/165+ lsat

Being facetious?

FuturehoyaLawya

Postby FuturehoyaLawya » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:07 am

AmbitiousPanda wrote:HELLO TLS WORLD! [This is my first post!]

Just curious if anyone has suggestions on how URMs can boost their app package with "softs"? Outside of becoming a Rhodes (or Marshall, Gates, etc.) Scholar, what are the strongest ways to supplement one's application package?

i don't think their "softs" for URMs. If you were a Rhodes Scholar, TFA, and won other national competitive prizes and awards I think that might make you stand out a little. There are not that many URMs who are Rhode Scholars, but I can count many who have did a lot of the things listed in this thread who have no interestin attending law school. I believe, and I hope top students tend to do a lot of the things you mention in this thread, URM or not, but it doesn't give them a boost. Focus on your LSAT score....that is your boost. Yes some students get in with a bit lower scores, however, the more competitive you are with non-URMs, say a 170 and 3.7GPA....the more money you'll get from schools and etc. You can do all the softs on that list, but if your LSAT score isn't high enough....it means nothing at the end of the day. LSAT should be your focus. And if you have an interests in some of the activities mention, by all means....do it. But none of those things will erase a low LSAT score.

AmbitiousPanda

Postby AmbitiousPanda » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:45 pm

Thanks for the input everyone!

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:09 pm

FuturehoyaLawya wrote:
AmbitiousPanda wrote:HELLO TLS WORLD! [This is my first post!]

i don't think their "softs" for URMs. If you were a Rhodes Scholar, TFA, and won other national competitive prizes and awards I think that might make you stand out a little. There are not that many URMs who are Rhode Scholars, but I can count many who have did a lot of the things listed in this thread who have no interestin attending law school. I believe, and I hope top students tend to do a lot of the things you mention in this thread, URM or not, but it doesn't give them a boost. Focus on your LSAT score....that is your boost. Yes some students get in with a bit lower scores, however, the more competitive you are with non-URMs, say a 170 and 3.7GPA....the more money you'll get from schools and etc. You can do all the softs on that list, but if your LSAT score isn't high enough....it means nothing at the end of the day. LSAT should be your focus. And if you have an interests in some of the activities mention, by all means....do it. But none of those things will erase a low LSAT score.

You are correct that "soft factors" apply to everyone. I already said as much up above. Softs apply to pretty much anyone.

But you are wrong about your bottom remark. While nothing "erases" a lower LSAT score (and/or GPA), softs can definitely put lower GPA's and scores into particular contexts that make them look better. A poorer student who was caring for his elderly grandmother and had little time to prepare for the LSAT will certainly get a boost if he mentions other outstanding accomplishments. These accomplishments can speak volumes about an applicant's ability to succeed, not only in law school, but after graduating. They demonstrate caring for others, strong work ethic, multitasking abilities, toughness, time-management, unique skills that may pay off in a classroom or office setting, contributions/potential contributions to the learning of others, leadership, humility, etc.

So, soft factors can convince adcoms to "look beyond" numbers, and that is the point. This is why you see people from all backgrounds getting into top schools with numbers that may be somewhat lower for those schools.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:39 pm

Good softs are good softs. URM status doesn't have anything to do with that. You get a boost on your LSAT and to a lesser extent your GPA; that's all that matters anyway. Keep in mind, if you don't have the numbers (even with the boost) to get into a specific school, there are VERY (essentially none) few softs that will take you over the admission hump. USNWR doesn't report softs.

boosk

Postby boosk » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:36 pm

siouxfan45 wrote:Could somebody clarify what would be considered an "innovative" website?

I'm not letting anyone steal my idea!

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:51 pm

Tagged.

Trips

Postby Trips » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:36 am

I assume if you're a URM and have some type of work experience dealing with your race it will be helpful.

For example, if you're Native American, and you have experience working at say, a tribal economic development company, or a law firm the represents Native interests, I suppose those softs would looks great. Just my guess.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”