Do schools know URM status if you don't submit a DS? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
DukeHopeful

Bronze

Do schools know URM status if you don't submit a DS?

Post by DukeHopeful » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:38 pm

I was looking at my applications and realized that ethnic status information is removed the application as read by the reviewer. This was confirmed by LSAC. I have not written a DS, because I do not think that I have anything really meaningful to write about on the issue. My question is, will adcomms know of my URM status if I do not write the DS?

Flanker1067

Silver

Re: Do schools know URM status if you don't submit a DS?

Post by Flanker1067 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:43 pm

I asked this same question and felt very much the same way you did about a month ago. The best answer I got is to write a DS that indicates your status, however meaningful, so that they are at least aware. I believe some schools will look at the boxes, and some will not.

BTW, the first and only school I've heard back from and was accepted to was Duke. So I guess I did something right, good luck.

Edit: Also, my DS was about how I am good at understanding/getting along with various people because of my background. I never claimed that I felt disadvantaged or discriminated against, because that would have been untrue.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”