seton Hall/Rutgers Newark

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
howie

seton Hall/Rutgers Newark

Postby howie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:16 pm

I got scholarship from Seton Hall, which makes them the same price. So basically everything is equal i.e) location, both regional schools, etc. I am mostly concerned with now, at least, with employment prospects, academic quality, and the student body. Any insight would be greatly appreciated

*I am also considering catholic which is going to be about 8 grand more (dont feel as if you need to comment about that one)

NYVA311

Re: seton Hall/Rutgers Newark

Postby NYVA311 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:22 pm

I'm curious as to what Catholic's reputation is, primarily in Northern VA and the suburbs in Maryland. I know there are several better schools in the area, but I'm not aiming for Big Law, I know they don't place well there. I've heard it's fairly good.

etwashington7

Postby etwashington7 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:20 pm

Above all I would consider Rutgers as a top choice out of the three. However, it depends on your career goals... Rutgers has a better big law placement out of the three. But, Catholic would be good alternative for breaking into the political scene in DC. Seton Hall, on the other hand, would be my very last choice on this earth... simply because their placement is not that great... the avg. debt acquired my an alumni is not worth it... I would point out, that Seton Hall appears to be a common pick for those who decide to go into solo and small firms (I don't know if that's by choice or the pressures of lack of desired employment.)

achang

Postby achang » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:45 am

I am an URM and got accepted into Catholic as well.
Out of all three (I did apply for Seton Hall because I grew up in Central NJ) I would definitely choose Catholic regardless.
IMO, Rutgers and Seton Hall don't provide you the area that you need to be infiltrated in to get some experience.
It is why, perhaps, a lot of pitt/temple/'nova/seton hall, etc etc students send up coming to DC to work; this area is a must to make good connections and network if you plan to stay in the Northeast Area.
I also have sat in a Catholic class and I find it a very good experience with excellent faculty..... They do have an "intro to CUA Law" this Saturday and I plan on attending.

I decided not to apply to Rut because I was never a fan of that school anyways; the decision is tough but these are my .02 cents.
Best of luck!
Last edited by achang on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

achang

Postby achang » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:46 am

NYVA311 wrote:I'm curious as to what Catholic's reputation is, primarily in Northern VA and the suburbs in Maryland. I know there are several better schools in the area, but I'm not aiming for Big Law, I know they don't place well there. I've heard it's fairly good.

It's actually very well known in the DC Area. It's considered the 4th best school in DC and I really liked all about it but I'm not sure how huge it is into BIGLAW.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”