Does GPA matter more than LSAT for URM LS candidates? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
onetimeonly95

New

Does GPA matter more than LSAT for URM LS candidates?

Post by onetimeonly95 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:36 pm

Through my own specualtion, at least, it seems as though urms with good lsat scores are getting rejected or waitlisted at top schools. While other urms with mediocre or low lsat scores are being accepted or waitlised with higher gpas(3.4+). Thoughts?

Pearalegal

Silver

Re: Does GPA matter more than LSAT for URM LS candidates?

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:41 pm

I believe the argument is that the LSAT test and prep process gives an unfair cultural advantage and GPAs are much for reflective of individual potential for obvious reasons?

I think, though. Could be wrong.

Laina

Bronze

Post by Laina » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:07 pm

I think it's more just a matter of sheer numbers--there aren't many high-LSAT URM splitters, while there are a ton (relatively speaking) of high GPA/low LSAT URMs. Those seem to do better in admissions because there are more of them, and therefore more instances of them getting into their reaches.

legalized

Bronze

Post by legalized » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:24 am

onetimeonly95 wrote:Through my own specualtion, at least, it seems as though urms with good lsat scores are getting rejected or waitlisted at top schools. While other urms with mediocre or low lsat scores are being accepted or waitlised with higher gpas(3.4+). Thoughts?
They are applying too late, or not putting as much effort into their statement as they did into the LSAT prep...and I can guess that latter one just from collaborating with people on projects or cases that required a writeup in undergrad. As the years go by, people's reading comprehension and grammar skills are disappearing, to the point where I generally make sure I am the one assigned to put everyone's parts together and proofread. I saw a girl graduating with an MBA whose writeups made me cringe. She wrote like an epileptic child, no joke. NONE of her sentences made sense or had proper punctuation...and yet, her father's presence at graduation was actually announced, so apparently he is some bigwig and that is why she can float through to graduation not able to write worth a d*mn.

And I see far too many black men on all the sites I visit with less than a 3.0 as a GPA...and no they are not all engineering majors. I really would like to know what that is all about...how come the women tend to be above 3.0 but not the men? It's made it now so the black man is like a rare diamond in law school, lol.

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:13 pm

Being that I have a low GPA and loads of ambition, questions like this one keep me up at night. I'm about to drop a considerable amount of money on LSAT prep materials (I hear Powerscore is pretty ace) and hope and pray for the best. I'm taking the test in June, so if I screw up, I can work on my weak areas and retake in September, just in time for the fall 2011 app cycle to begin. I can't believe that I put myself in this position, but I have, and it's what I have to deal with. I think that if all else fails, if I apply to OU and get in, I might be able to apply to a better school after the first year (maybe).

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:02 am

onetimeonly95 wrote:Through my own specualtion, at least, it seems as though urms with good lsat scores are getting rejected or waitlisted at top schools. While other urms with mediocre or low lsat scores are being accepted or waitlised with higher gpas(3.4+). Thoughts?
I have a crappy gpa and LSAT score so it'll be interesting to see how the cycle turns out for me.

FuturehoyaLawya

New

Post by FuturehoyaLawya » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:13 am

legalized wrote:
They are applying too late, or not putting as much effort into their statement as they did into the LSAT prep...and I can guess that latter one just from collaborating with people on projects or cases that required a writeup in undergrad. As the years go by, people's reading comprehension and grammar skills are disappearing, to the point where I generally make sure I am the one assigned to put everyone's parts together and proofread. I saw a girl graduating with an MBA whose writeups made me cringe. She wrote like an epileptic child, no joke. NONE of her sentences made sense or had proper punctuation...and yet, her father's presence at graduation was actually announced, so apparently he is some bigwig and that is why she can float through to graduation not able to write worth a d*mn.

And I see far too many black men on all the sites I visit with less than a 3.0 as a GPA...and no they are not all engineering majors. I really would like to know what that is all about...how come the women tend to be above 3.0 but not the men? It's made it now so the black man is like a rare diamond in law school, lol.
can't you just be happy that there in college in the first place....with a GPA... because to be honest i would rather see a black man in somebody's school period. so stop complaining.

FuturehoyaLawya

New

Post by FuturehoyaLawya » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:15 am

newyorker88 wrote:
I have a crappy gpa and LSAT score so it'll be interesting to see how the cycle turns out for me.
probably not so good...if you have both :(

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”