0L Summer? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JAP1985

New

Re: 0L Summer?

Post by JAP1985 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:41 am

I'll be backapcking through south america or spending a month at an ashram-depends on which is least expensive.

edit: grammar flaw

moviechicka

New

Post by moviechicka » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:21 am

I'm probably going to get a part-time doing something where I don't have to use my brain and read a bit for my 1st year classes. I was laid off from my publishing job & I don't really want to take on a 40 hour work week before dealing with law school. I'm teaching two classes this semester, but I think I'll take the summer off.

GypsyGrL

New

Post by GypsyGrL » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:24 am

I'm looking to travel on the cheap - only problem is that my friends all have jobs and can't join me for all that long. One week here, one week there, etc. I would go alone and may end up traveling alone for part of it but I'm hesitant to do so as a young girl - it's a shitty double standard, but I would definitely feel better about running around the world solo as a male.

Anybody else looking to hostel hop?

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:51 am

I'll be treking through Europe this summer. Starting in Scotland, finishing in Rome. If i were female i'd defenitely get a partner but it's possible to go solo, just be smart.

meowmeow

Bronze

Post by meowmeow » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:57 am

Im finally quitting my job as a paralegal in April.

Going to Riviera Maya for a week, then Vegas then going to Europe (Greece, Turkey, Israel and Egypt)

And if Im lucky, I will get accepted to SEO (fingers crossed)

goreman

New

Post by goreman » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:59 am

i'm hoping to do a two or three week road trip from colorado to school (wherever that ends up being -- hopefully Michigan). Probably no real agenda, just go wherever I decide to go. I was also going to read every E&E available.....okay, scratch that. I might even just sleep in my car during some of the road trip. Who knows?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:13 am

In my opinion, what you should be donig the year to two years before going to LS and the summer before should be governed largely by where you are going to go to LS... So Op, where are you going to LS?

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:26 am

Ill be reading: The Idiot's Guide to being a Gunner as well as: Brown-nosing for dummies.

ajk

New

Post by ajk » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:30 am

4 weeks of road tripping across the US of A. freeing the mind before it becomes imprisoned for three years. anyone done this before and have any suggestions? i've traveled out west before but have never done the xc road trip.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:36 am

Uh, working in a pizza place to afford rent/booze, living it up in the greatest city in the world.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:44 am

reasonable_man wrote:In my opinion, what you should be donig the year to two years before going to LS and the summer before should be governed largely by where you are going to go to LS... So Op, where are you going to LS?

I'd like to hear more...

bissey

Bronze

Post by bissey » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:56 am

GypsyGrL wrote:I'm looking to travel on the cheap - only problem is that my friends all have jobs and can't join me for all that long. One week here, one week there, etc. I would go alone and may end up traveling alone for part of it but I'm hesitant to do so as a young girl - it's a shitty double standard, but I would definitely feel better about running around the world solo as a male.

Anybody else looking to hostel hop?
agree with the first part. i will be doing the same most likely. this website (http://www.couchsurfing.com) is a pretty cool resource for traveling as well.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:05 pm

Before I went to LS, I worked for 2 years at a midsized firm in Manhattan while finishing college. This eventually lead to a full time job at another mid-sized firm my 1L and 2L summers as well as an assoicate job after LS. This is probably what most people not attending a T20 should really do before LS. But traveling the country to 'clear your head' and back-packing and other special-snow-flake-like activities are also very important.
Last edited by reasonable_man on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MandyNC

New

Post by MandyNC » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:24 pm

This is a really tough one for me. I run communications and website development for an understaffed but VERY busy/national nonprofit. Because MY boss stormed out the door in moral outrage in September (I fully agreed with her feelings about the org at the time but kept my mouth shut as I'm my fam's paycheck right now) I've been rapidly promoted and am taking on more and more responsibility and being integrated more and more into the long term plans of the org. (not to mention they already were using me as an IT/general office admin bitch and still are somewhat).

I make fairly generous bucks for a nonprofit with fabulous benefits. Part of me hates the company's management for various gross, cutthroat, shady things they did to previous employees last year and a sometimes tough/controlling/extremely petty management style. Another part of me finds the work challenging and satisfying and can appreciate (more maturely than the immature part) that I've actually, individually, been treated quite well and supported as a professional.

Also, I am the primary breadwinner in my family, so giving up the income to go to ls is TERRIFYING. I have the option, I'm fairly sure, of working 10/hrs or so a week virtually for a good $30/hr in first semester of ls to ease the staffing transition and income angst. Is this a terrible idea? (Note that I have an OCD love/hate relationship with my job).

This rant is because my 0L summer options are:
1) Quit 2-3 months before law school with an outright two weeks' notice, get much needed break after wall-to-wall 50-55 hr. work weeks the last year and a half. Just announce that I'm going to law school, tough shit for you, management. A tough option financially since I'm trying to make the most of awesome health insurance/steady pay 'til loans kick in (when do loans kick in)?
2) Quit two weeks before law school starts and slam door in their faces.
3) (What I'll probably do): Let them know I'm going to law school six weeks out. I can work up to a month if they choose and still have two weeks to de-stress before ls, but if things get nasty (they probably will) I'll just live frugally on credit cards and savings for a month, do some freelance writing here and there, and get a full month of R&R to get the pyschological trauma of my job fully out of my system.

Anyone work part-time 1st semester (even ten hours)?

I totally, totally relate to the glee some of you have expressed for essentially telling your bosses to suck it. We are on to better things! (Like a crappy economy, 80 instead of 55 hour work weeks, slavish studying methods ... sigh).

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:42 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Before I went to LS, I worked for 2 years at a midsized firm in Manhattan while finishing college. This eventually lead to a full time job at another mid-sized firm my 1L and 2L summers as well as an assoicate job after LS. This is probably what most people not attending a T20 should really do before LS. But traveling the country to 'clear your head' and back-packing and other special-snow-flake-like activities are also very important.

How does one acquire a job such as this one? I graduated and am working at a god forsaken call center and can't seem to find any jobs such as this one. I been on craigslist, hotjobs, careerbuilder, etc. but got nada. I started a thread too...http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&t=104495

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:00 pm

Doritos wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Before I went to LS, I worked for 2 years at a midsized firm in Manhattan while finishing college. This eventually lead to a full time job at another mid-sized firm my 1L and 2L summers as well as an assoicate job after LS. This is probably what most people not attending a T20 should really do before LS. But traveling the country to 'clear your head' and back-packing and other special-snow-flake-like activities are also very important.

How does one acquire a job such as this one? I graduated and am working at a god forsaken call center and can't seem to find any jobs such as this one. I been on craigslist, hotjobs, careerbuilder, etc. but got nada. I started a thread too...http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&t=104495
I watched my college carreer services website for months, watched the NY times (no craigslist yet) and just about every other source I could think of until I found the job. 80 People applied, all with higher grades, etc, but according to the person that hired me years ago, I was likable and presented myself as a 'hard worker' and a 'fun person.' (my how things change in just 5 years ;) ) In any event, depending on the market you are looking in, even ITE, these jobs are out there and anyone not attending a top law school really should be looking to explore these opportunities before LS becase:

1) The practice of law is not for everyone, you should at least 'see' what the lawyers actually go through;
2) The experience is actually useful, depending on where you work;
3) You have some actual legal experience for your resume, which will matter when you're not at a T20;
4) You aquire some actual contacts, some of whom may actually want to help you find work thereafter;
5) You know just a little something about the law and have, at least, a small context to understand the entirely too theoretical framework of legal education.

But this is only my opinion.

m1stert1m

New

Post by m1stert1m » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:01 pm

Doritos wrote:
m1stert1m wrote:I work at a Target right now wooooooo! Want to quit ASAP but need some money. Definitely quitting at the end of April at the latest, hopefully sooner.

I worked there for a total of 3 hours this past fall. I used my only paycheck to buy a bottle of vodka

That's awesome

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:10 pm

Continuing my full time job as a legal assistant, paying rent that is way too high, reading, and wishing the cost of living in southern CA wasn't so expensive so I could actually take some time off before the fall term. :(

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:42 am

ajk wrote:4 weeks of road tripping across the US of A. freeing the mind before it becomes imprisoned for three years. anyone done this before and have any suggestions? i've traveled out west before but have never done the xc road trip.
I've driven across the country twice(and half of it a few time more), my advice is to take it slow. Even if it costs more, it's worth it.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”