0L Summer?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
groundkontrol

0L Summer?

Postby groundkontrol » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:48 am

So what are most of you guys doing this summer before law school? Finding law-related jobs? Doing something simple like retail? Traveling? SEO?

tome

Re: 0L Summer?

Postby tome » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:49 am

I relaxed a lot. Worked very well for me.

groundkontrol

Postby groundkontrol » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:40 am

I would relax but I need money this summer definitely.

EzraStiles

Postby EzraStiles » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:50 am

Pizza delivery. And I'm sadly not joking here, but from what I've heard, this is your last chance in life to spend a solid couple of months not thinking about law. Make the most of it.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:53 am

I want to relax, but I need the $$$. So I'm unsuccessfully looking for a job -- any job. Unfortunately, no one wants to hire a recent college grad for a summer internship when he's about to bail for law school :(

roguehavok

Postby roguehavok » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:56 am

Oh man. Once June rolls around I am quitting my middling job with a vengeance. For real - it's going to be epic. Once I realized that anyone who leaves my company is treated like scum, any hope of salvaging a good recommendation went out the window. My plans for this oh-so-special day are all that get me through the nonsense and idiocy I deal with on a daily basis. When I leave, people will remember it and with any luck 5 years down the road my story will be treated as an urban legend. God, I'm so excited it's kind of sick...

So there's that. And some trips to Israel and Eastern Europe. Better to be broke and happy than....well what I'm doing now :D

sf87

Postby sf87 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:21 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:I want to relax, but I need the $$$. So I'm unsuccessfully looking for a job -- any job. Unfortunately, no one wants to hire a recent college grad for a summer internship when he's about to bail for law school :(

I had the same problem- graduated undergrad in May and started law school in August...I ended up taking a retail job (for 2 months) at the mall for $9/hour and then quit in August. Fun times.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:22 am

I'm going to learn Spanish.

groundkontrol

Postby groundkontrol » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:38 am

sf87 wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:I want to relax, but I need the $$$. So I'm unsuccessfully looking for a job -- any job. Unfortunately, no one wants to hire a recent college grad for a summer internship when he's about to bail for law school :(

I had the same problem- graduated undergrad in May and started law school in August...I ended up taking a retail job (for 2 months) at the mall for $9/hour and then quit in August. Fun times.

I'm considering getting a retail job for the summer. How much does one make being a store clerk/cashier for the whole summer approximately? I'd assume between $2000-$4000?

Cemoore4

Postby Cemoore4 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:09 am

I am currently in grad school and I deliver pizza. It's not a bad job really. I make minimum wage, but I usually make 10-20 in tips an hour so it adds up. It takes no brain power. I just sit in my car an listen to sports on the radio and what not.

To the OP: Love the tar man. I used to skate, my fav pair were my Shima 3's with some GC frames. Its very weird to come across other people that are/used to be into it.

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:20 am

CLEO summer program, assuming i can scrounge the $$$$.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:22 am

roguehavok wrote:Oh man. Once June rolls around I am quitting my middling job with a vengeance. For real - it's going to be epic. Once I realized that anyone who leaves my company is treated like scum, any hope of salvaging a good recommendation went out the window. My plans for this oh-so-special day are all that get me through the nonsense and idiocy I deal with on a daily basis. When I leave, people will remember it and with any luck 5 years down the road my story will be treated as an urban legend. God, I'm so excited it's kind of sick...

+1....and I can't wait either :)

Oban

Postby Oban » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:49 am

I've been working full time for a few years now, so i'm actually going to quit my job and spend a month in Europe. I've been saving aggressively on top of my 401k at work so i am going to fucking spoil myself.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:15 am

Really trying for SEO. If not that then not much.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:09 pm

groundkontrol wrote:
sf87 wrote:

I'm considering getting a retail job for the summer. How much does one make being a store clerk/cashier for the whole summer approximately? I'd assume between $2000-$4000?

Yeah sounds about right. They suck but call centers pay more. If you do collections (like I am currently doing and hating every minute of it) you can get like 12-13/hr. as opposed to 8/hr as a cashier. I would recommend hitting up craigslist, monster, hotjobs, etc. put a decent minimum salary on the resume and carpet bomb the world. Worse comes to worse cashier jobs ain't goin' nowhere.

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:13 pm

I've been working since graduation in May 09. I'm tutoring for the SAT right now (sort of surreal since my only real skill would have been teaching the LSAT, but this company hired me first and wouldn't let me work with Kaplan too). The last SAT is in June, so after that I'm doing NOTHING AT ALL until law school! Woooo!

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:20 pm

i have been doing nothing since graduating last may. Well (not really nothing)... studying for the lsats the first part of the year. I'm living with my parents and just basically taking a long vacation before ls

Oban

Postby Oban » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:07 pm

avacado111 wrote:i have been doing nothing since graduating last may. Well (not really nothing)... studying for the lsats the first part of the year. I'm living with my parents and just basically taking a long vacation before ls

TITCR. I'm surprised i haven't quit my job yet. I'm getting tired of the office politics and bullshit, i want to walk away, but i'll make another 16k atleast by june, it's hard to walk away from a steady paycheck. I figure 2 1/2 months off (a month of which spent in Europe) is a fine way to get refreshed for law school.

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:12 pm

yaaaaaaaaaaaa i just got a bull shit job before i start at michigan in june...its expensive going drinking...

livitup11

Postby livitup11 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:33 pm

roguehavok wrote:Oh man. Once June rolls around I am quitting my middling job with a vengeance. For real - it's going to be epic. Once I realized that anyone who leaves my company is treated like scum, any hope of salvaging a good recommendation went out the window. My plans for this oh-so-special day are all that get me through the nonsense and idiocy I deal with on a daily basis. When I leave, people will remember it and with any luck 5 years down the road my story will be treated as an urban legend. God, I'm so excited it's kind of sick...

So there's that. And some trips to Israel and Eastern Europe. Better to be broke and happy than....well what I'm doing now :D

PLEASE tell us all how it went- I think that many of us are dying to go out with a bang that way.

crm

Postby crm » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:34 pm

livitup11 wrote:

PLEASE tell us all how it went- I think that many of us are dying to go out with a bang that way.

+1

m1stert1m

Postby m1stert1m » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:57 pm

I work at a Target right now wooooooo! Want to quit ASAP but need some money. Definitely quitting at the end of April at the latest, hopefully sooner.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:05 pm

m1stert1m wrote:I work at a Target right now wooooooo! Want to quit ASAP but need some money. Definitely quitting at the end of April at the latest, hopefully sooner.

I worked there for a total of 3 hours this past fall. I used my only paycheck to buy a bottle of vodka

clwilson6

Postby clwilson6 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:43 pm

Doritos wrote:
m1stert1m wrote:I work at a Target right now wooooooo! Want to quit ASAP but need some money. Definitely quitting at the end of April at the latest, hopefully sooner.

I worked there for a total of 3 hours this past fall. I used my only paycheck to buy a bottle of vodka

I know this is kind of unusual and random but I'm retiring from the military. Yeah, I'm an old fart, but I get to go on permanent paid leave starting in April until the end of August and then collect retirement after that. I'll get paid to sit around on my ass if I want. Woohoooo!!!

Ayeshabelle

Postby Ayeshabelle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:17 am

Bike endlessly around the country, do some basic reading related to my first-year classes, and take a meditation class. Law school will be the greatest challenge of my life to date, and I want to enjoy the calm before the storm. Plus meditation might be a useful skill to help handling the massive loads of stress that await.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”