Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby fl0w » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:09 pm

If all goes well between now and when she decides to go to law school, this girl actually might end up BEING the next oprah.

Seriously though, the story is pretty inspiring. I feel like I've gone through a lot and worked pretty hard in my life, but reading something like this puts me to shame and makes me realize there is always more to be done.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-harvard20-2009jun20,0,1882109.story?page=1

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby Tanicius » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:12 pm

fl0w wrote:If all goes well between now and when she decides to go to law school, this girl actually might end up BEING the next oprah.

Seriously though, the story is pretty inspiring. I feel like I've gone through a lot and worked pretty hard in my life, but reading something like this puts me to shame and makes me realize there is always more to be done.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-harvard20-2009jun20,0,1882109.story?page=1


That is inspiring, but it's also sad to think that she might have a hard time fitting in with the personalities of a lot of people at Harvard. I guess, though, that that's never stopped her before in much worse environments, so I'm sure she'll succeed.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby fl0w » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:16 pm

Tanicius wrote:
fl0w wrote:If all goes well between now and when she decides to go to law school, this girl actually might end up BEING the next oprah.

Seriously though, the story is pretty inspiring. I feel like I've gone through a lot and worked pretty hard in my life, but reading something like this puts me to shame and makes me realize there is always more to be done.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-harvard20-2009jun20,0,1882109.story?page=1


That is inspiring, but it's also sad to think that she might have a hard time fitting in with the personalities of a lot of people at Harvard. I guess, though, that that's never stopped her before in much worse environments, so I'm sure she'll succeed.


Yeah, the major barrier I see for her is counseling to address / deal with some of the obvious issues that will persist as a result of her upbringing. But I think that fitting in and making friends will become exponentially easier now that she will have found some stability in her life. It's hard to make meaningful connections with people when you know you aren't going to be somewhere more than a couple of months, but now she'll have the chance.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4855
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby Borhas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:23 pm

it's an honor for Harvard to have a student like her. I wish her the best fwiw

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 pm

what if she fizzles out from all the pressure of expectation now she is nationally recognized

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby fl0w » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:32 pm

Lxw wrote:what if she fizzles out from all the pressure of expectation now she is nationally recognized


what if the earth goes off course and bumps into the sun? Then it won't matter.

Haha, I qualified my initial post with "if all goes well". I was trying to focus more on the amazing story than the "what if?" scenarios and bets on her failure.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby Tanicius » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:38 pm

fl0w wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
fl0w wrote:If all goes well between now and when she decides to go to law school, this girl actually might end up BEING the next oprah.

Seriously though, the story is pretty inspiring. I feel like I've gone through a lot and worked pretty hard in my life, but reading something like this puts me to shame and makes me realize there is always more to be done.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-harvard20-2009jun20,0,1882109.story?page=1


That is inspiring, but it's also sad to think that she might have a hard time fitting in with the personalities of a lot of people at Harvard. I guess, though, that that's never stopped her before in much worse environments, so I'm sure she'll succeed.


Yeah, the major barrier I see for her is counseling to address / deal with some of the obvious issues that will persist as a result of her upbringing. But I think that fitting in and making friends will become exponentially easier now that she will have found some stability in her life. It's hard to make meaningful connections with people when you know you aren't going to be somewhere more than a couple of months, but now she'll have the chance.


I meant more of a difficulty relating to her classmates. She's at Harvard. Yeah, some of them come from really rough backgrounds like her, but it'd be safe to say that those students are nowhere near the majority.

User avatar
rocross1
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:20 am

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby rocross1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:39 pm

Lxw wrote:what if she fizzles out from all the pressure of expectation now she is nationally recognized


What if that is the biggest douchbag question ever asked?

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:41 pm

rocross1 wrote:
Lxw wrote:what if she fizzles out from all the pressure of expectation now she is nationally recognized

What if that is the biggest douchbag question ever asked?

Then my task is done?

User avatar
rocross1
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:20 am

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby rocross1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Lxw wrote:
rocross1 wrote:
Lxw wrote:what if she fizzles out from all the pressure of expectation now she is nationally recognized

What if that is the biggest douchbag question ever asked?

Then my task is done?

Is it?

User avatar
LawandOrder
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby LawandOrder » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Thread title + OP's handle = the lulz.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby fl0w » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:52 pm

LawandOrder wrote:Thread title + OP's handle = the lulz.

i see what you did thar

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby AlanShore » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:54 pm

rocross1 wrote:
Lxw wrote:what if she fizzles out from all the pressure of expectation now she is nationally recognized


What if that is the biggest douchbag question ever asked?

I'm surprised it took that many posts for a douchebag comment. I was expecting it in post #2 or #3

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:56 pm

AlanShore wrote:
rocross1 wrote:
Lxw wrote:what if she fizzles out from all the pressure of expectation now she is nationally recognized

What if that is the biggest douchbag question ever asked?

I'm surprised it took that many posts for a douchebag comment. I was expecting it in post #2 or #3

Sorry, I was too busy responding to threads on http://www.howtobeadouchebag.com

User avatar
JAP1985
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby JAP1985 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm

Great story. But what's up with the Michelle Obama reference? Aside from being married to the POTUS, has she really done that much? Sounds like this girl already has her beat.

User avatar
LawandOrder
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby LawandOrder » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:09 pm

*Debating starting AA flamewar*

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby NayBoer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:22 pm

What a funny coincidence that she's a black woman and so are Oprah Winfrey and Michelle Obama, the two role models people compare her to. If she were white it'd be an obligatory reference to either Eleanor Roosevelt or Hillary Clinton. (Apparently we can only have role models that look like us.)

Half-surprised nobody called her 'the next Rosa Parks... but for the homeless.' "She refused to keep her educational opportunities at the back of the bus!"

User avatar
Gwen
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:54 am

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby Gwen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:33 pm

Rosa Parks is overrated

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby AlanShore » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:34 pm

caliborn wrote:Rosa Parks is overrated

hahahaha....

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:08 pm

AlanShore wrote:
rocross1 wrote:
Lxw wrote:what if she fizzles out from all the pressure of expectation now she is nationally recognized


What if that is the biggest douchbag question ever asked?

I'm surprised it took that many posts for a douchebag comment. I was expecting it in post #2 or #3

Something tells me she has some practice handling stress.

Also, please tell me I'm not the only person who took like two hours to figure out why her name sounded so familiar:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106056/

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby fl0w » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:38 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Also, please tell me I'm not the only person who took like two hours to figure out why her name sounded so familiar:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106056/


haha, i actually recognized that immeditaely

avacado111
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby avacado111 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:40 pm

exactly like homless to harvard. the movie.

nycparalegal
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:26 am

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby nycparalegal » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:50 pm

It's stories like these that inspire you. It's also interesting that there was alot of help available to her, if she went out to seek it.

She began to reach out to organizations and mentors: the Upward Bound Program, Higher Edge L.A., Experience Berkeley and South Central Scholars; teachers, counselors and college alumni networks. They helped her enroll in summer community college classes, gave her access to computers and scholarship applications and taught her about networking.


When her college applications were due in December, James and Patricia London of South Central Scholars invited Khadijah to their home in Rancho Palos Verdes to help her write her essays.

When they went to return her to skid row, her mother and sister were gone.

Khadijah accepted the Londons' invitation to spend the rest of her school year with them.

In their comfortable hilltop home, Khadijah learned a new set of lessons. The orthopedic doctor and nurse taught her table manners, money management and grooming.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby NayBoer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:53 pm

The orthopedic doctor and nurse taught her table manners, money management and grooming.
Depending on context, that's either very sweet or very condescending.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23913
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: Inspiring story: This girl will have a great cycle!

Postby Thirteen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:55 pm

LawandOrder wrote:*Debating starting AA flamewar*


You would.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests