So A Dominican-American from the Bronx, NYC isnt a URM? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
DEANBIGBROTHERALMI-T

New

So A Dominican-American from the Bronx, NYC isnt a URM?

Post by DEANBIGBROTHERALMI-T » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:29 pm

i am a dominican american raised by immigrant parents. i am very dark-skinned. we speak spanish practically solely at my house. i grew up in one of the poorest sections of the bronx. i am a member of an african-american fraternity. i was a member in the black and latino organizations at undergrad.

but i do not get the URM boost at all, can someone help me understand. like for instance on the cornell application, i can only click "hispanic/latino" and nothing else. its not going to deter me at all but i just dont quite understand how the URM boost works.

Blindmelon

Gold

Re: So A Dominican-American from the Bronx, NYC isnt a URM?

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:32 pm

EDIT: See BenJ.
Last edited by Blindmelon on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:33 pm

If you can legitimately claim to be of African ancestry, check both "Hispanic" and "African American" and explain in your diversity statement that you are of black Dominican descent.

If you have only one choice (which is rare), select African American and still explain your Afrocaribbean heritage in your DS. Again, assuming that you can legitimately claim African ancestry.

URM boosts are only given to MexAms and Puerto Ricans among Hispanics, so you will not get a URM boost unless you make it clear that you are also black. (Blacks and NativeAms also get URM boosts.)

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:34 pm

BenJ wrote:If you can legitimately claim to be of African ancestry, check both "Hispanic" and "African American" and explain in your diversity statement that you are of black Dominican descent.

If you have only one choice (which is rare), select African American and still explain your Afrocaribbean heritage in your DS. Again, assuming that you can legitimately claim African ancestry.

URM boosts are only given to MexAms and Puerto Ricans among Hispanics, so you will not get a URM boost unless you make it clear that you are also black. (Blacks and NativeAms also get URM boosts.)
- said much much better than my post.

DEANBIGBROTHERALMI-T

New

Post by DEANBIGBROTHERALMI-T » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:44 pm

yeah i will do that. i definitely identify as afro carribean. as for cornell, since i am only allowed to choose one, i may have to write a diversity statement to explain.

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:58 pm

BenJ wrote:If you can legitimately claim to be of African ancestry, check both "Hispanic" and "African American" and explain in your diversity statement that you are of black Dominican descent.

Where do you get your wrong information from?? Got into GULC with lsat under the 25th percentile and high gpa. I am white and "other hispanic."
I think it's key to show a tie to your heritage, either culturally, or by being bilingual. (but a few months ago people on tls called me an idiot for saying that) Look whose talking now

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”