GLBT: C/O 2015, Grindr/Manhunt, and More

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
applepiecrust

Re: GLBT: C/O 2014, Grindr/Manhunt, and More

Postby applepiecrust » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:58 am

D-hops wrote:Sometimes the plot lines make me want to stab my eyes out, but I mainly watch glee for the songs.

And sometimes the songs also make me want to stab my eyes out. Also, not jumping on the Blaine bandwagon (and I've been trying to like Kurt again, but I somehow can't)

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:03 pm

applepiecrust wrote:
D-hops wrote:Sometimes the plot lines make me want to stab my eyes out, but I mainly watch glee for the songs.

And sometimes the songs also make me want to stab my eyes out. Also, not jumping on the Blaine bandwagon (and I've been trying to like Kurt again, but I somehow can't)

This. The writers are trying to make it seem like he can do no wrong. It seems like pandering to me.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:11 pm

D-hops wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:

This. The writers are trying to make it seem like he can do no wrong. It seems like pandering to me.

Honestly, his fairly biphobic comments in this week's episode annoyed me (And I'm not even bi). Also, what was with his dancing (and Rachel's outfit at the "party")?

plurilingue

Postby plurilingue » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Last edited by plurilingue on Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:42 pm

plurilingue wrote:
Glee hit its low point earlier this season when Kurt's dad and stepmom fêted his bravery and "special"-ness at the altar of their own wedding. I haven't been able to look at Kurt the same way since.

There's a theory that people reference fairly often in Los Angeles that as a television show increases in popularity, it can't help but decline in quality: the number of writers with input increases, the cost of production shoots up, and the entire thing gets kicked up a notch, losing basic elements like intertwined plot development, characterization, and arresting storylines along the way. Think of it as an inverse correlation between ratings and quality. And this tends to afflict shows that don't really know where they're going beyond the outset. I tend to think that Glee this season as a prime example of this phenomenon...

I saw this week's episode overnight -- my jetlag is catching up with me, and it seemed like the best option at 3AM -- and I have to say that it was a lot better than I expected. Excepting the Sue Sylvester shooting Brittany out of a cannon storyline, everything since the Superbowl has been more compelling than what we got in the first half of this season. Glee is best when the characters' personalities -- most of which are still somewhat schematically evoked -- play off each other in predictable yet slightly fresh ways. So for me, the highlights of this episode?: Finn stereotyping drunk girls, the kids playing spin the bottle (I've never done this), and Sue playing Will's drunk-dialed message to the entire school. Good times.

I was surprised Finn even knew the word archetype :p
I can't get over how much Glee's portrayal of Kurt's, Puck's, Becky's and Brittany's characters troubles me. Yet I still watch it.

I haven't really cared for the episodes post-Superbowl; at the very least, they have not been memorable. I can't really recall what happened, except for the girls offering to fill in the football team spots. And the Kurt/Blaine, and Puck/Lauren storylines (ok, and the Quinn/Finn/Sam/Santana drama: darn, these kids are incestuous!).

I have also never played Spin the Bottle. My excuse is that I didn't grow up in the US ;p

neonx

Postby neonx » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:12 pm

applepiecrust wrote:
plurilingue wrote:
Glee hit its low point earlier this season when Kurt's dad and stepmom fêted his bravery and "special"-ness at the altar of their own wedding. I haven't been able to look at Kurt the same way since.

There's a theory that people reference fairly often in Los Angeles that as a television show increases in popularity, it can't help but decline in quality: the number of writers with input increases, the cost of production shoots up, and the entire thing gets kicked up a notch, losing basic elements like intertwined plot development, characterization, and arresting storylines along the way. Think of it as an inverse correlation between ratings and quality. And this tends to afflict shows that don't really know where they're going beyond the outset. I tend to think that Glee this season as a prime example of this phenomenon...

I saw this week's episode overnight -- my jetlag is catching up with me, and it seemed like the best option at 3AM -- and I have to say that it was a lot better than I expected. Excepting the Sue Sylvester shooting Brittany out of a cannon storyline, everything since the Superbowl has been more compelling than what we got in the first half of this season. Glee is best when the characters' personalities -- most of which are still somewhat schematically evoked -- play off each other in predictable yet slightly fresh ways. So for me, the highlights of this episode?: Finn stereotyping drunk girls, the kids playing spin the bottle (I've never done this), and Sue playing Will's drunk-dialed message to the entire school. Good times.

I can't get over how much Glee's portrayal of Kurt's, Puck's, Becky's and Brittany's characters troubles me. Yet I still watch it.

I haven't really cared for the episodes post-Superbowl; at the very least, they have not been memorable. I can't really recall what happened, except for the girls offering to fill in the football team spots. And the Kurt/Blaine, and Puck/Lauren storylines (ok, and the Quinn/Finn/Sam/Santana drama: darn, these kids are incestuous!).

I have also never played Spin the Bottle. My excuse is that I didn't grow up in the US ;p

I actually disagree. I think the last two episodes have been much stronger than the other episodes this season. Tastes differ, I guess.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:17 pm

I liked last week's V-Day episode a lot, but I didn't care for this week's.

I miss last season when there were actually characters and plots and stuff.

Also, why are they all talking about Nationals? Did they forget that they kind of lost sectionals last year? I'd worry about that first, y'all.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:27 pm

neonx wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:
plurilingue wrote:

I actually disagree. I think the last two episodes have been much stronger than the other episodes this season. Tastes differ, I guess.

I liked this week's episode. Silly Love Songs was fine. I don't remember the other episodes this season (except the Superbowl one).

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:32 pm

You know who I absolutely LOVE? Coach Beiste. She's probably my favorite character on the show right now, and I definitely did not see that coming.

plurilingue

Postby plurilingue » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:34 pm

Last edited by plurilingue on Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:45 pm

plurilingue wrote:This week's episode worked because the A, B, and C storylines engaged explicitly with each other -- shared thematic elements, screen time, etc... The least compelling hours of Glee focus on individual character development (Kurt and Rachel especially) in isolation from the rest of the cast. I mean, has Kurt switching schools really gone anywhere? And does anyone actually believe that a place like Dalton Academy actually exists anywhere? I don't know what lessons the writers are trying to impart upon the audience, but I don't think it's constructive to make LGBT youth think that they can escape their problems, or to depict Gay Hogwarts boarding school as some sort of panacea. (I do hope they make Kurt fall out of love and transfer back when he realizes that Blaine is just as lost as he is.)

Heh, the real escape is college :p

Kurt and Rachel are actually the two most overdeveloped characters on the show, IMO.

plurilingue

Postby plurilingue » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm

Last edited by plurilingue on Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chango

Postby chango » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:43 am

I'd totally watch Glee if Dexter made a guest appearance and started killing off cast members.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:03 am

chango wrote:I'd totally watch Glee if Dexter made a guest appearance and started killing off cast members.

This would be FANTASTIC. I <3 Dexter.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:35 am

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:50 pm

BTW, there is already a lot of overlap between this thread and the LGBT Class of 2014 thread, but in case anyone missed it, we've made a (secret) FB group for TLS LGBT Class of 2014.
We're about ~20 people right now, and more would be awesome. PM me if you would like to join!

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:54 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:01 pm

Kili wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:BTW, there is already a lot of overlap between this thread and the LGBT Class of 2014 thread, but in case anyone missed it, we've made a (secret) FB group for TLS LGBT Class of 2014.
We're about ~20 people right now, and more would be awesome. PM me if you would like to join!

Just playing devil's advocate, but what's the point of an additional FB group? Why not just a start a Class of 2014 discussion thread in the original? :|

Sure, but the 2014's group already up and going, and given that it's only Class of 2014, 20 people compared to the original group's 40 is pretty solid. I think having just a 2014 group is easier for figuring out where everyone's going, whereas the original group is great for 1. connecting with people already in LS; 2. for people already in LS to connect with one another.

Postby 02122015 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:27 am

This is a real profile out there:

Apparently the pandas at the zoo have been taught how to use smartphone apps.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:32 am

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:36 am

MSPeast wrote:This is a real profile out there:

Pandas are good with technology. Also, is this panda in DC?
Edited for my guy friend's input: The panda's weight is apparently a huge dealbreaker for him (even with that height the BMI is ~35). Guess fathphobia applies to pandas too :(

Postby 02122015 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:52 am

applepiecrust wrote:
MSPeast wrote:This is a real profile out there:

Pandas are good with technology. Also, is this panda in DC?
Edited for my guy friend's input: The panda's weight is apparently a huge dealbreaker for him (even with that height the BMI is ~35). Guess fathphobia applies to pandas too :(

:lol:

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:27 am

can i find him on pandaswithiphones.com ?

predent/prelaw

Postby predent/prelaw » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:50 pm

Last edited by predent/prelaw on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:49 am

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”