GLBT: C/O 2015, Grindr/Manhunt, and More

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Eugenie Danglars

Re: GLBT: C/O 2014, Grindr/Manhunt, and More

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:07 am

whirledpeas86 wrote:
D-hops wrote:
ht2988 wrote:LOL - what a fabulous forum! I've deleted all my online gay dating accounts, having resigned to the fact that Kalamazoo, MI has nothing to offer me. I'm sure I'll be signing back on and browsing through the prospects once I have an idea of where I might be attending law school next year.

Ha! I am originally from Kalamazoo. Chicago (where I am now) certainly has far better options.

Do tell about Chicago! UChicago is my dream school, though I've never actually been to Chicago and don't know any queer folks there. What's the scene like? I figure they've got pizza and good music, so they've probably got lesbians, right?

Pizza + good music attracts lesbians? Do tell...

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:
D-hops wrote:
ht2988 wrote:LOL - what a fabulous forum! I've deleted all my online gay dating accounts, having resigned to the fact that Kalamazoo, MI has nothing to offer me. I'm sure I'll be signing back on and browsing through the prospects once I have an idea of where I might be attending law school next year.

Ha! I am originally from Kalamazoo. Chicago (where I am now) certainly has far better options.

Do tell about Chicago! UChicago is my dream school, though I've never actually been to Chicago and don't know any queer folks there. What's the scene like? I figure they've got pizza and good music, so they've probably got lesbians, right?

Well, that's been my experience, but there may be some selection bias there. :wink:

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:17 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:
D-hops wrote:

Well, that's been my experience, but there may be some selection bias there. :wink:

P.S. Shout out to LSCATplay cuz I know she's lurking here right now... :D

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:45 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:
D-hops wrote:

I live in Chicago and go to NU. Chicago has a great gay community but is mainly focused in the neighborhoods to the north (boystown/lakeview, andersonville, rodgers park) whereas UChicago is located in Hyde Park which is pretty far south.

ht2988

Postby ht2988 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:14 pm

I spend a lot of time in Chicago - was a fellow at the Newberry Library last fall. The gay scene is most definitely bigger than Kalamazoo's - but Boystown can be so damn A-list/catty/white/etc... Wicker Park and Logan Square are much more fun IMO, though they aren't as exclusively gay as B-town or Lakeview.

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:26 am

I'm always thrown off by all these Jesuit universities. They all seem to be religious in name only, but they still scare me. Maybe because I go to BYU... they've forever made me paranoid.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:29 am

jck4487 wrote:I'm always thrown off by all these Jesuit universities. They all seem to be religious in name only, but they still scare me. Maybe because I go to BYU... they've forever made me paranoid.

Jesuit = liberal. The whole Jesuit order is constantly at odds with the conservative factions in the Catholic church. It's the non-Jesuit Catholic colleges you should watch out for (mostly; I mean, Notre Dame is not BYU, but it's also not Fordham).

AdamAndSteve wrote:This thread makes me grateful to have a boyfriend (though it probably won't continue to 1L since I'm most likely changing locations). I guess law students only have time for studying and quick tricks?

Not true, kept a steady boyfriend through all of 1L first semester. Of course, we'd already been together for a year, and I don't think I'd have had time for dating.

Postby 02122015 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:07 am

BenJ wrote:
Jesuit = liberal. The whole Jesuit order is constantly at odds with the conservative factions in the Catholic church. It's the non-Jesuit Catholic colleges you should watch out for (mostly; I mean, Notre Dame is not BYU, but it's also not Fordham).

Even the Georgetown/Catholic U disparity is pretty notable. The law school at Catholic isn't allowed to have an official Outlaw group or any other recognition, while the group at GULC is rather large and the Georgetown main campus has some sort of LGBT center. During DADT, GULC sent out e-mails during military recruitment period that they opposed DADT and wouldn't allow them to recruit on campus if not for whichever law basically forced them to.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:29 am

Re: Gay scene in Chicago.

I don't know about UChicago, but I've lived in the city almost my whole life, and I can speak on the gay stuff in general. I found it to be a really open, really accepting place. Yeah, most of the gay stuff is on the northside (Boystown for the boys and Andersonville for the lesbians), but I work as a singer at a black Episcopal church on the southside and nobody has had a problem with me being a lesbian there either.

I lived down the street from the Gay and Lesbian Center on Halsted this past fall and there was ALWAYS something going on there -- activities, meetings, speakers, social things, etc. And it's next to Whole Foods, which is a plus.

Don't know much about the gay dating scene -- my girlfriend is from Virginia -- but my lesbian friends have had a lot of luck with online dating or with meeting someone at one of the local lesbian hotspots (specifically, a bar called "The Closet" in Lakeview and a bar/restaurant called "T's" in Andersonville).

Also, Pride is possibly the best thing ever. Half a million people go every year and it's pretty fabulous.

Postby 02122015 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:32 am

vissidarte27 wrote:Re: Gay scene in Chicago.

I don't know about UChicago, but I've lived in the city almost my whole life, and I can speak on the gay stuff in general. I found it to be a really open, really accepting place. Yeah, most of the gay stuff is on the northside (Boystown for the boys and Andersonville for the lesbians), but I work as a singer at a black Episcopal church on the southside and nobody has had a problem with me being a lesbian there either.

I lived down the street from the Gay and Lesbian Center on Halsted this past fall and there was ALWAYS something going on there -- activities, meetings, speakers, social things, etc. And it's next to Whole Foods, which is a plus.

Don't know much about the gay dating scene -- my girlfriend is from Virginia -- but my lesbian friends have had a lot of luck with online dating or with meeting someone at one of the local lesbian hotspots (specifically, a bar called "The Closet" in Lakeview and a bar/restaurant called "T's" in Andersonville).

Also, Pride is possibly the best thing ever. Half a million people go every year and it's pretty fabulous.

Yeah, Pride is a huge deal in Minneapolis as well, and it's even PG-rated (it's still Minnesota after all!). Something about these Midwestern cities and their summer festivals -- people love to go outside in summer! Everyone with a gay friend has to go to Pride with them because they want to go! Not sure if Chicago Pride has an admission fee or not, but Twin Cities Pride is free (except the beer garden) and very well-attended.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:36 am

MSPeast wrote:Yeah, Pride is a huge deal in Minneapolis as well, and it's even PG-rated (it's still Minnesota after all!). Something about these Midwestern cities and their summer festivals -- people love to go outside in summer! Everyone with a gay friend has to go to Pride with them because they want to go! Not sure if Chicago Pride has an admission fee or not, but Twin Cities Pride is free (except the beer garden) and very well-attended.

Oh yeah, it's totally free. Not the food or the parties or any of that, but admission is free. The parade is outrageous, and it's a really neat experience to be surrounded by so many people who are like you or who are supportive.

Chicago LOVES its' outdoor summer things. SO MUCH STUFF. Jazz Fest, Blues Fest, morning yoga in Grant Park, free concerts, movies on the lawn, dance lessons in the park, the Taste, Pride, etc. It's a great city in the summer.

Doesn't quite make up for the crappy winters, IMO, but it sure as hell tries.

Postby 02122015 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:38 am

vissidarte27 wrote:
MSPeast wrote:Yeah, Pride is a huge deal in Minneapolis as well, and it's even PG-rated (it's still Minnesota after all!). Something about these Midwestern cities and their summer festivals -- people love to go outside in summer! Everyone with a gay friend has to go to Pride with them because they want to go! Not sure if Chicago Pride has an admission fee or not, but Twin Cities Pride is free (except the beer garden) and very well-attended.

Oh yeah, it's totally free. Not the food or the parties or any of that, but admission is free. The parade is outrageous, and it's a really neat experience to be surrounded by so many people who are like you or who are supportive.

Chicago LOVES its' outdoor summer things. SO MUCH STUFF. Jazz Fest, Blues Fest, morning yoga in Grant Park, free concerts, movies on the lawn, dance lessons in the park, the Taste, Pride, etc. It's a great city in the summer.

Doesn't quite make up for the crappy winters, IMO, but it sure as hell tries.

Yep, that's the Midwest for you! Minneapolis has tons of summer things, Milwaukee's Summerfest is huge, and of course the Chicago things you mentioned. And of course every small town (farm country = tons of small towns) has its own summer festival as well. Some places are even delusional enough to have ironic winter festivals (i.e. the Saint Paul Winter Carnival) and parades (Holidazzle Parade in Minneapolis). Oh, not to mention the HUGE state fairs. The Minnesota State Fair had 230,000 attendees on one of the Saturdays this year, and even lighter-attended weekdays can pull in over 100,000 people.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:44 am

I think the highest-attended events in Chicago are Pride (500,000) and the Taste of Chicago (several million over a 10-day stretch). Pretty sure nobody here does anything in the winter, though. We all stay inside and try not to freeze.

Postby 02122015 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:52 am

vissidarte27 wrote:I think the highest-attended events in Chicago are Pride (500,000) and the Taste of Chicago (several million over a 10-day stretch). Pretty sure nobody here does anything in the winter, though. We all stay inside and try not to freeze.

Yeah, that's what most people do here too -- the people who go to the Winter Carnival are the truly delusional and/or the few people who actually moved here because of the cold weather because they are insane or have some sort of disorder. Or something like that.

forward

Postby forward » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:58 am

Checking into this thread :mrgreen:

C/O 2014 0L. Leaning NYU at this point, but check my profile to see the admission offers so far.

To answer the thread's main question: I've used 'em all. Currently have Grindr, A4A, MH (as well as OkCupid, but that's more for shits and giggles). I think if I were less shy and more confdient when it came to meeting fellow 'mos , I wouldn't be on them.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:12 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:I think the highest-attended events in Chicago are Pride (500,000) and the Taste of Chicago (several million over a 10-day stretch). Pretty sure nobody here does anything in the winter, though. We all stay inside and try not to freeze.

chicago's also got market days right? sort of a pride round 2 before winter?

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:50 pm

Ok so, I figure I'm gonna be busy as a 1L and not have time for much of a social life. Sooo I need to find a bf NOW...we'll have to agree to go to the same law school and fall in love and whatnot. takers?

jay115

Postby jay115 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:29 pm

voltage88 wrote:Ok so, I figure I'm gonna be busy as a 1L and not have time for much of a social life. Sooo I need to find a bf NOW...we'll have to agree to go to the same law school and fall in love and whatnot. takers?

you will have time for a boyfriend and do well during 1L year if you really want. some of us said law school would keep us so busy that we would only have time for hook-ups, but i dont think thats held true thus far for me.

also, IMO try not to intermix with other OUTlaws in your school. especially if you go to law school in a metropolis - branch out. doing bad things with other OUTlaws or 1Ls can cause obnoxious problems. not that im speaking from experience, of course. :oops:

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:35 pm

f0bolous wrote:

chicago's also got market days right? sort of a pride round 2 before winter?

Yup. It's more of a late summer, early fall thing, though. I think it was in September this year (though I could be wrong -- I was abroad for work).

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:59 pm

jay115 wrote:
voltage88 wrote:Ok so, I figure I'm gonna be busy as a 1L and not have time for much of a social life. Sooo I need to find a bf NOW...we'll have to agree to go to the same law school and fall in love and whatnot. takers?

you will have time for a boyfriend and do well during 1L year if you really want. some of us said law school would keep us so busy that we would only have time for hook-ups, but i dont think thats held true thus far for me.

also, IMO try not to intermix with other OUTlaws in your school. especially if you go to law school in a metropolis - branch out. doing bad things with other OUTlaws or 1Ls can cause obnoxious problems. not that im speaking from experience, of course. :oops:

haha, i will heed your advice. if not outlaws though how else is it possible to meet other gays in the surrounding areas of your law school? i'm guessing the various social networking sites? why am i even worrying about this? :roll:

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:04 pm

voltage88 wrote:
jay115 wrote:

haha, i will heed your advice. if not outlaws though how else is it possible to meet other gays in the surrounding areas of your law school? i'm guessing the various social networking sites? why am i even worrying about this? :roll:

i never really hung out with the outlaws...none of them really fit my "type," but grindr is really perfect for meeting people. come time for finals, you'll need that break every once in a while.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:28 pm

voltage88 wrote:haha, i will heed your advice. if not outlaws though how else is it possible to meet other gays in the surrounding areas of your law school? i'm guessing the various social networking sites? why am i even worrying about this? :roll:
f0bolous wrote:
i never really hung out with the outlaws...none of them really fit my "type," but grindr is really perfect for meeting people. come time for finals, you'll need that break every once in a while.

i would imagine the texas outlaws would be a good time. everyone loves a cowboy.

also, just head out. a lot of law students (sadly) forget about this opportunity. UCLA is 15 minutes away from west hollywood, but a lot of us just go out to the bars in westwood.

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:01 pm

f0bolous wrote:
voltage88 wrote:
jay115 wrote:

is grindr primarily for hookups? or have you actually met guys looking for friends/dating?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:15 pm

voltage88 wrote:is grindr primarily for hookups? or have you actually met guys looking for friends/dating?

mainly hookups, but i've also met some good (platonic) friends through grindr. dating? so far no...but i'll find out once i get back to austin.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:08 am

I've lived in 9 different cities, including LA, Chicago, NYC, Atlanta, Denver, MSP, Dallas, East Lansing, and Bangkok...Traveled to a lot too (19 countries).

I'm not sure if Chicago is better than NYC (I love them both), but Chicago has a better gay scene than a lot of other places I have been too, with the exception of maybe London? I lived right in the heart of boystown - Roscoe/Lake Shore and enjoyed every minute of it! I miss it as I am stuck Dallas, which has the most pretentious gays ever!

But Chicago has a really cool beach with hott guys (north ave) and there is a gay beach. Chicago scene can be clingy, but that's most gay areas and I think the gays are definitely more down to earth in Chicago than NYC, where it's really hard to meet gays sometimes.

Andersonville is a nice area where older gays live...and lesbians. Also, Chicago is DEFINITELY the best place to live in the summer. Nov - April sucks in Chicago and it doesn't really start getting hot until mid June so when the weather is nice EVERYONE takes advantage of it. Chicago people love to drink alcohol and love sports! There's also museums, great neigborhoods, festivals every weekend in the summer, and it's very liberal for the most part. Also, a lot of smart people - lawyers, doctors, graduate and young professionals.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”