GLBT: C/O 2015, Grindr/Manhunt, and More

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Eugenie Danglars

Re: GLBT: C/O 2014, Grindr/Manhunt, and More

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:36 am

jck4487 wrote:There are a lot of students from previous application cycles here, but I'm curious where applicants for this admission cycle are applying.

I'm applying to Berkeley, UC Davis, UCLA, USC, UW, ASU, Utah, Illinois, Emory and Tulane. Little concerned about going to Emory or Tulane, but I got fee waivers, so I went for it. Anybody else?

I'm from Atlanta, and the atmosphere is a main reason I'm not applying to Emory. There's a pretty happening scene for guys, and usually downtown is ok, but too many people I know have gotten jumped coming or going from gay clubs. Not to mention the attitude of the police/local government.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:47 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
jck4487 wrote:There are a lot of students from previous application cycles here, but I'm curious where applicants for this admission cycle are applying.

I'm applying to Berkeley, UC Davis, UCLA, USC, UW, ASU, Utah, Illinois, Emory and Tulane. Little concerned about going to Emory or Tulane, but I got fee waivers, so I went for it. Anybody else?

I'm from Atlanta, and the atmosphere is a main reason I'm not applying to Emory. There's a pretty happening scene for guys, and usually downtown is ok, but too many people I know have gotten jumped coming or going from gay clubs. Not to mention the attitude of the police/local government.

Also, no one's getting a job out of Emory.

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:23 am

jay115 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

Is that really Emory, or is that all non-T14 schools where recruiting isn't as heavy? My buddy's girlfriend visited from Columbia last weekend and she said that there are even a fair amount of students from their struggling to find jobs and it's #4. What makes Emory particularly bad? Where you guys applying?

jay115

Postby jay115 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:19 pm

jck4487 wrote:
jay115 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

Is that really Emory, or is that all non-T14 schools where recruiting isn't as heavy? My buddy's girlfriend visited from Columbia last weekend and she said that there are even a fair amount of students from their struggling to find jobs and it's #4. What makes Emory particularly bad? Where you guys applying?

Last I heard about Columbia, most everyone was employed. --LinkRemoved--. Of course, that's self-reported, but to my knowledge ATL/TLS haven't reported anything to the contrary yet.

In contrast, Emory got slammed in OCI this year - 27 distinct employers were reported. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=625 (It was somewhere in that thread; I just don't know where). There's also rounds of anecdotal evidence, but obviously read those with a grain of salt. Because I go to UCLA, I know UCLA (a comparable super-regional school) reported around 160 distinct employers (not including resume droppers). I would also imagine there are more offices at UCLA because we have more secondary markets around LA (orange county, san diego), but I'm just speculating.

I've heard Emory's career services people are particularly useless, and that the top AL firms that Emory used to funnel to were all hit harder than most of the other major market firms in other major markets. However, it might not matter either way. The economy is expected to recover to full strength by 2013, and you'll graduate in 2014. So presumably, you'll get a job so long as you do reasonably well at and Emory-tiered school or better.
Last edited by jay115 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:42 am

Why are you concerned about Emory? bc of the employment outcome or bc it's in the south?

employment issues = yeah, i'd be concerned too, but I'd also be concerned with most of the schools you listed

south = emory itself is super liberal, and atlanta actually has a pretty big gay community (i don't remember where i've seen it, but atlanta's concentration of gays is second only to san francisco)

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:03 am

f0bolous wrote:
south = emory itself is super liberal, and atlanta actually has a pretty big gay community (i don't remember where i've seen it, but atlanta's concentration of gays is second only to san francisco)

That's cause all Southern gays who don't leave the South move to Atlanta :-)

However, there are usually a few serious gay hate crimes a year. More than San Francisco, I'd be willing to bet...Anyhow, usually if you're smart about it, you'll be ok.

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:11 am

f0bolous wrote:

Why are you concerned about Emory? bc of the employment outcome or bc it's in the south?

employment issues = yeah, i'd be concerned too, but I'd also be concerned with most of the schools you listed

I'm mostly concerned about it being in the south--not because I'm afraid of getting beaten up or anything like that, but I did my undergrad at BYU, so I just want somewhere that my being gay won't be a huge issue and I won't be known as "the gay guy." I don't want it to be the only one. I was slightly concerned about job prospects, but less so.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:57 pm

jck4487 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

I'm mostly concerned about it being in the south--not because I'm afraid of getting beaten up or anything like that, but I did my undergrad at BYU, so I just want somewhere that my being gay won't be a huge issue and I won't be known as "the gay guy." I don't want it to be the only one. I was slightly concerned about job prospects, but less so.

yeah, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. being in midtown, it's safer to assume that someone is gay than not. outside of midtown, the city is still generally pretty liberal or open-minded. it's not until you get outside into the suburbs where being gay might not be as accepted.

ht2988

Postby ht2988 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:27 pm

LOL - what a fabulous forum! I've deleted all my online gay dating accounts, having resigned to the fact that Kalamazoo, MI has nothing to offer me. I'm sure I'll be signing back on and browsing through the prospects once I have an idea of where I might be attending law school next year.

DorianGray89

Postby DorianGray89 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:33 pm

Which are the most gay friendly schools?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:40 pm

Regent. Liberty.

(sorry, I had to..)

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:09 pm

ht2988 wrote:LOL - what a fabulous forum! I've deleted all my online gay dating accounts, having resigned to the fact that Kalamazoo, MI has nothing to offer me. I'm sure I'll be signing back on and browsing through the prospects once I have an idea of where I might be attending law school next year.

Ha! I am originally from Kalamazoo. Chicago (where I am now) certainly has far better options.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:19 pm

Also, Class of 2014 LGBT applicants - join the FB group. PM YCRevolution to get into the group.
Last edited by D-hops on Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:38 pm

I kind of regret checking that "LGBT" box for CRS. Schools keep sending my permanent address (my mom's house) postcards telling me how gay inclusive they are. Good thing I came out to her like two days before the first one arrived. Thanks LSAC...

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:50 pm

jck4487 wrote:I kind of regret checking that "LGBT" box for CRS. Schools keep sending my permanent address (my mom's house) postcards telling me how gay inclusive they are. Good thing I came out to her like two days before the first one arrived. Thanks LSAC...

Why does no one send me these? I want postcards from law schools with shiny rainbows on them.

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:02 am

applepiecrust wrote:
jck4487 wrote:I kind of regret checking that "LGBT" box for CRS. Schools keep sending my permanent address (my mom's house) postcards telling me how gay inclusive they are. Good thing I came out to her like two days before the first one arrived. Thanks LSAC...

Why does no one send me these? I want postcards from law schools with shiny rainbows on them.

Dunno. But now everyone in my town of 1,000 people knows that I'm gay, considering the post office workers are both related to me and can't keep their mouths shut. Damn LSAC...

isaiahnielsen

Postby isaiahnielsen » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:46 am

f0bolous wrote:*Moderator Note: Title has been changed for 2010-11 application cycle*

Originial Thread Title: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

I guess not all GLBT, mainly GB (maybe T):

Fess up: How many of you have used Grindr or Manhunt to scope out the area around a school?

I admit that I've made queries for Austin, TX (although the results were a little disappointing)...I'm hoping Grindr says otherwise during ASW.

I have used Adam4Adam to check out the boys in Dallas

isaiahnielsen

Postby isaiahnielsen » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:54 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

However, there are usually a few serious gay hate crimes a year. More than San Francisco, I'd be willing to bet...Anyhow, usually if you're smart about it, you'll be ok.

And to be fair, hate crimes can happen anyplace...even when I lived in Manhattan between 03' and 06', there were hate crimes against gays happening, even in the village...it is just part of what we have to put up with when we are strong enough to be honest about who and what we are.

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:30 pm

isaiahnielsen wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

And to be fair, hate crimes can happen anyplace...even when I lived in Manhattan between 03' and 06', there were hate crimes against gays happening, even in the village...it is just part of what we have to put up with when we are strong enough to be honest about who and what we are.

Definitely true. Sometimes communities you wouldn't expect are even safer. I'm sure there are plenty of conservative towns in the south that might reject certain lifestyles, but people are well-mannered enough that they will be respectful.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:45 pm

jck4487 wrote:
isaiahnielsen wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

Definitely true. Sometimes communities you wouldn't expect are even safer. I'm sure there are plenty of conservative towns in the south that might reject certain lifestyles, but people are well-mannered enough that they will be respectful.

If by well-mannered, you mean cold-shouldered, then yes. Sorry, grew up in rural then suburban South. * chip on shoulder *

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:17 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
jck4487 wrote:
isaiahnielsen wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

If by well-mannered, you mean cold-shouldered, then yes. Sorry, grew up in rural then suburban South. * chip on shoulder *

I'm from the rural Midwest--you're definitely right. I wasn't out in high school, so I never felt it first hand, but I witnessed it with an out gay guy a few years older than me in high school. They are definitely cold shouldered, and while they don't physically harm you ever, the emotional shunning can feel just as damaging.

Postby 02122015 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:27 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:Which are the most gay friendly schools?

GULC is quite gay-friendly, especially considering that it's technically Catholic (Jesuit, really). There are a lot of gay 1Ls this year, my P.S. was about it, Outlaw is active, etc. And DC is possibly the most gay-friendly state-level jurisdiction in the country.

DorianGray89

Postby DorianGray89 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:05 am

MSPeast wrote:

GULC is quite gay-friendly, especially considering that it's technically Catholic (Jesuit, really). There are a lot of gay 1Ls this year, my P.S. was about it, Outlaw is active, etc. And DC is possibly the most gay-friendly state-level jurisdiction in the country.

Yeah, I live in DC and love it; would love to stay here, so hoping GULC accepts me.

Jox

Postby Jox » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:43 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:
MSPeast wrote:

Yeah, I live in DC and love it; would love to stay here, so hoping GULC accepts me.

I'm also waiting on GULC. I interned at one of their clinics, and from what I saw, it was super gay friendly. Outlaw put on a lot of events, held several speaker series, etc. I love DC and am hoping for an acceptance as well.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:59 am

D-hops wrote:
ht2988 wrote:LOL - what a fabulous forum! I've deleted all my online gay dating accounts, having resigned to the fact that Kalamazoo, MI has nothing to offer me. I'm sure I'll be signing back on and browsing through the prospects once I have an idea of where I might be attending law school next year.

Ha! I am originally from Kalamazoo. Chicago (where I am now) certainly has far better options.

Do tell about Chicago! UChicago is my dream school, though I've never actually been to Chicago and don't know any queer folks there. What's the scene like? I figure they've got pizza and good music, so they've probably got lesbians, right?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”