GLBT: C/O 2015, Grindr/Manhunt, and More

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby Kretzy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:57 pm

D-hops wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Sitting outside at a cafe in the Castro this afternoon made me want to check in here. Hope everyone's well :)


What bar did you guys go to in Boystown when you were in Chi?


Sidetracks and Roscoe's. I spent two extra days in Chicago thereafter and went to a few more places in Boystown. I actually liked Sidetracks (the general spot) very much, it reminded me of JRs in Denver, which was my home bar post-coming out.

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:03 pm

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby D-hops » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:05 pm

Kretzy wrote:
D-hops wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Sitting outside at a cafe in the Castro this afternoon made me want to check in here. Hope everyone's well :)


What bar did you guys go to in Boystown when you were in Chi?


Sidetracks and Roscoe's. I spent two extra days in Chicago thereafter and went to a few more places in Boystown. I actually liked Sidetracks (the general spot) very much, it reminded me of JRs in Denver, which was my home bar post-coming out.


Sidetracks is nice and it is pretty big. I hope you tried one of the slushies or whatever they're called.

Random story: I took a couple of my straight friends to Sidetracks once because they wanted to "go to a bar they'd never been to before". My friend who works in marketing said that he bet he'd see once of the advertisers he works with there. He wasn't even sure that they were gay so it made me :roll: . Not 5 minutes later some guy walks by and, sure enough, its an advertiser that he works with. Moral of the story, go to Sidetracks and you are bound to see someone you know.

User avatar
nit00
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby nit00 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:35 pm

D-hops wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
D-hops wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Sitting outside at a cafe in the Castro this afternoon made me want to check in here. Hope everyone's well :)


What bar did you guys go to in Boystown when you were in Chi?


Sidetracks and Roscoe's. I spent two extra days in Chicago thereafter and went to a few more places in Boystown. I actually liked Sidetracks (the general spot) very much, it reminded me of JRs in Denver, which was my home bar post-coming out.


Sidetracks is nice and it is pretty big. I hope you tried one of the slushies or whatever they're called.

Random story: I took a couple of my straight friends to Sidetracks once because they wanted to "go to a bar they'd never been to before". My friend who works in marketing said that he bet he'd see once of the advertisers he works with there. He wasn't even sure that they were gay so it made me :roll: . Not 5 minutes later some guy walks by and, sure enough, its an advertiser that he works with. Moral of the story, go to Sidetracks and you are bound to see someone you know.


Sidetracks is a really nice bar, I agree. I was amazed how packed it was on the Saturday I was there. You could barely walk around. The bars here in Baltimore would never be able to handle that many people and would give their right nut to have that much business. It also made me a little nervous to think how crazy it might be to meet 'mos in Chicago by going out :?

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby D-hops » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:59 pm

nit00 wrote:Sidetracks is a really nice bar, I agree. I was amazed how packed it was on the Saturday I was there. You could barely walk around. The bars here in Baltimore would never be able to handle that many people and would give their right nut to have that much business. It also made me a little nervous to think how crazy it might be to meet 'mos in Chicago by going out :?


It's really not that bad. Sidetracks on a Saturday is a bit of an exception, but I haven't really had a problem meeting people at bars in the city. There are just so many options that you can usually find the type of crowd you are looking for any day of the week.

User avatar
Mitchske
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby Mitchske » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:08 pm

Pretty boys. Sidetracks is OK, Roscoes seems pretentious. Wild Pug / Crew / Big Chicks / Jackhammer + Touche are much more fun.

User avatar
nit00
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby nit00 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:14 pm

D-hops wrote:
nit00 wrote:Sidetracks is a really nice bar, I agree. I was amazed how packed it was on the Saturday I was there. You could barely walk around. The bars here in Baltimore would never be able to handle that many people and would give their right nut to have that much business. It also made me a little nervous to think how crazy it might be to meet 'mos in Chicago by going out :?


It's really not that bad. Sidetracks on a Saturday is a bit of an exception, but I haven't really had a problem meeting people at bars in the city. There are just so many options that you can usually find the type of crowd you are looking for any day of the week.


Cool. Glad to hear that. I haven't really seen much of the Chicago scene other than Sidetracks, Roscoes, and a bar in Andersonville called Atmosphere that was down the street from where my friend lived that I stayed with. It will be nice to have more than two choices of where to go. Although, since I'm a bartender PT at one of the bars here, I really only end up going there. I am really looking forward to being in a real city again with options and not being stuck working at a bar on my weekends.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby de5igual » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:44 pm

D-hops wrote:
MSPeast wrote:...Yadda yadda yadda, and suddenly I get woken up in some house at 8:15...


To quote Seinfeld, you "Yadda Yadda Yadda'd" over the best part!


+1, and i'd like to know more about mr so and so

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:51 pm

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby de5igual » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:55 pm

MSPeast wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
D-hops wrote:
MSPeast wrote:...Yadda yadda yadda, and suddenly I get woken up in some house at 8:15...


To quote Seinfeld, you "Yadda Yadda Yadda'd" over the best part!


+1, and i'd like to know more about mr so and so


The guy that ditched me in a crappy situation? Um... okay, well all I really know is that I was at Oilcan Harry's and he and his friends hang out there. I feel like he was a few years older than the other people, like in his late 20s or early 30s, while the other guys were mostly UT students.


oh, i thought mr so and so was the "yadda yadda yadda"

i wasn't too big a fan of oilcan harry's. one of my grindr acquaintances from the first night recommended rain, and it was "eh"

User avatar
jay115
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby jay115 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:14 am

f0bolous wrote:i wasn't too big a fan of oilcan harry's. one of my grindr acquaintances from the first night recommended rain, and it was "eh"


christ - you two really did all investigate the ins and outs during law school visits, haha

i wanted to go to a westho mo bar when i visited UCLA, but i was staying with a friend and he dragged me to a room party instead :( i guess ill have to do my gay bar investigating during my 1L year

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:18 am

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby de5igual » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:02 am

MSPeast wrote:
f0bolous wrote:oh, i thought mr so and so was the "yadda yadda yadda"

He was. Did I give the impression that this was two different people? Didn't mean to.


i see ... so a tryst gone bad type of situation? :mrgreen:

User avatar
dhg5004
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:35 am

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby dhg5004 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:09 am

it's funny cuz i would not take into consideration what gay men are in the area when choosing law schools. But when I visit Cardozo tomorrow I will probably end up being on grindr when I leave the campus lol.

I visit friends in Chelsea all the time and the men are literally hanging from the rafters (i love that expression- im tryin to bring it back). They get their whereabouts down to the foot! And every dude on there is less than 1500 feet away! It's awesome lol.

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:57 pm

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

agathon360
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby agathon360 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:14 pm

Mitchske wrote:Pretty boys. Sidetracks is OK, Roscoes seems pretentious. Wild Pug / Crew / Big Chicks / Jackhammer + Touche are much more fun.


God, I actually *hate* Sidetrack. I find all the TV screens really annoying (perhaps because I hate TV in general) - and they are always playing stupid videos and really campy, stereotypical gay fare. Yuck. Plus the average age of the crowd is a little older than suits my taste.

I don't think Roscoe's is pretentious at all. In fact, I don't think it's pretentious enough. It has this laid-back mid-west feel.

The best place, I think, is Minibar. It's the nicest of the Halsted bars and the crowd is more attractive than at most other places. Did anyone go to MiniBar?

agathon360
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby agathon360 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:24 pm

..
Last edited by agathon360 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby Kretzy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:51 pm

agathon360 wrote:So, any reports from the Stanford ASW?


Sure, as I'm killing time before my flight out of SFO.

ASW was incredible. SLS has a minority preview day, and for the first time this year, OUTlaw was invited to participate, a decision that was supported (and fought for) by the various other identity groups. The community is rather small, probably 25 or so, most of whom were gay men, but at least 7 queer admits were committed to coming, and a number more were deciding.

The queer faculty is doing really interesting research (Professor Schacter on same-sex marriage issues, especially), and went out of their way to meet some admits. Prof. Karlan, who's at SCOTUS tomorrow, skipped out on the Rachel Maddow Show to have dinner with us.

The queer folks seemed interesting and were really candid about the size of the community and its drawbacks. Some live in SF, most seem to be fairly decent friends with one another (a bunch live together in 2s and 3s), and all seemed to be doing really diverse things.

Plus, it can't hurt that attractive folks are always outside playing volleyball and running and whatnot in the sun, since it was 75-85 degrees all weekend, sunny, and beautiful.

User avatar
ccs224
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby ccs224 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:08 pm

dhg5004 wrote:
everyone on manhunt is so old though! and grimey... i don't want a "daddy for lot$ of fun," thanks


not everyone!!! not me. im swim5681 lol. look me up ! :)


Whoa - I just noticed this. You guys know that it's probably not a good idea to link to this stuff on a public forum, right? Save it for the facebook group.

User avatar
jay115
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby jay115 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:46 am

one of my friends introduced me to gage diell (a grinder-like iphone app) - wadda guys think? i like it bc i get to post more than one pic and some the guys on it are into more than just nsa sex. and the profile in general is just aesthetically cleaner!

User avatar
ccs224
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby ccs224 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:05 am

jay115 wrote:one of my friends introduced me to gage diell (a grinder-like iphone app) - wadda guys think? i like it bc i get to post more than one pic and some the guys on it are into more than just nsa sex. and the profile in general is just aesthetically cleaner!


Isn't the problem with Grindr-alternatives that they don't have enough people using them? Also, in my experience, there's a lot of guys who use Grindr for more than hooking up. I use it to check out the gaybors, and have made several friends that way, none of which involved make outs. Where I am, at least, a lot of guys use it just to see who is around and not for sexual purposes, though, of course, there are plenty who use it for that as well.

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:22 am

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby de5igual » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:30 am

MSPeast wrote:And some of us have phones for Proles! If only Cingular had decent coverage in the place I went to high school when my family first got cell phones in ~2003, then maybe I'd have AT&T and an iPhone today instead of T-Mobile and an Android (it's actually a decent phone -- but no Grindr). If I'd been thinking, I might have got an iPod Touch back in September instead of my Nano, but I really like having a radio tuner, which I think is exclusive to the Nano.


had grindr been on android, i probably would've stuck with t-mobile. the network's definitely a lot less congested and much more reasonably priced.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby D-hops » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:32 am

f0bolous wrote:
MSPeast wrote:And some of us have phones for Proles! If only Cingular had decent coverage in the place I went to high school when my family first got cell phones in ~2003, then maybe I'd have AT&T and an iPhone today instead of T-Mobile and an Android (it's actually a decent phone -- but no Grindr). If I'd been thinking, I might have got an iPod Touch back in September instead of my Nano, but I really like having a radio tuner, which I think is exclusive to the Nano.


had grindr been on android, i probably would've stuck with t-mobile. the network's definitely a lot less congested and much more reasonably priced.


I thought that they were trying to port it to android and certain blackberry phones. Honestly, the developers would be stupid not to.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby de5igual » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:41 am

D-hops wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
MSPeast wrote:And some of us have phones for Proles! If only Cingular had decent coverage in the place I went to high school when my family first got cell phones in ~2003, then maybe I'd have AT&T and an iPhone today instead of T-Mobile and an Android (it's actually a decent phone -- but no Grindr). If I'd been thinking, I might have got an iPod Touch back in September instead of my Nano, but I really like having a radio tuner, which I think is exclusive to the Nano.


had grindr been on android, i probably would've stuck with t-mobile. the network's definitely a lot less congested and much more reasonably priced.


I thought that they were trying to port it to android and certain blackberry phones. Honestly, the developers would be stupid not to.


it's released on the blackberry platform now, but i would never want to switch back to a blackberry. ever.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest