GLBT: C/O 2015, Grindr/Manhunt, and More

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Mitchske

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby Mitchske » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:29 am

Grindr is essentially worthless here, which is sad, but I can imagine there will be quite a few men on at next year's Lavendar Law?

And I'm not talking about cruising, but I'm sure it will be fun to get a group together to go to the bars. Hell, it's in Miami Beach.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:02 pm

"I also met a guy who was able to achieve his dream of living in Italy because of Grindr. He applied for a role in an Italian acting troupe and he says he got the role because the director had seen him on Grindr. Grindr created a bond between them and he’s leaving for Italy next week."

haha ill put money down that the director's intentions were less than admirable.
Last edited by jay115 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:31 pm

jay115 wrote:

I also met a guy who was able to achieve his dream of living in Italy because of Grindr. He applied for a role in an Italian acting troupe and he says he got the role because the director had seen him on Grindr. Grindr created a bond between them and he’s leaving for Italy next week.

haha ill put money down that the director's intentions were less than admirable.

well, they did create a bond...quite literally at that!

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:07 am

f0bolous wrote:I guess not all GLBT, mainly GB (maybe T):

Fess up: How many of you have used Grindr or Manhunt to scope out the area around a school?

I admit that I've made queries for Austin, TX (although the results were a little disappointing)...I'm hoping Grindr says otherwise during ASW.

This is HILARIOUS. And so true.

When I was considering what to do about my UVA waitlist, I got on Adam4Adam and scoped out Charlottesville. As I had imagined, the prospects were dismal. I knew I could NEVER last 3 years in Charlottesville. But Austin isn't much better: the gay men here are hideous. And people wonder why I can't wait to move to Houston.
Last edited by OperaAttorney on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:08 am

Mitchske wrote:Grindr is essentially worthless here, which is sad, but I can imagine there will be quite a few men on at next year's Lavendar Law?

And I'm not talking about cruising, but I'm sure it will be fun to get a group together to go to the bars. Hell, it's in Miami Beach.

Exactly. I plan to attend this year's Lavender Law Conference.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:10 am

jay115 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:just pulled up grindr in austin -- 2 words : hot mess

...i'm going to miss atl

isnt austin known as the homo city in texas?

I'm a 1L at UT-Austin, so I can tell you what I think.

Austin is a strange city. The straight guys are hot, the gay guys are not.

Also, Austin is a very white city. The black population is under 10%. And the gay black population is even smaller; it's virtually nonexistent. In general gay Austin works only if you're white or latino. Most of the white and latino gay guys aren't into black men. At least that's what I've observed.

I intend to move to Houston as soon as I graduate. Forget moving--I'm fleeing to Houston. I get NO LOVE in Austin. And I'm kinda hot. :lol:

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:48 am

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:51 am

YCrevolution wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:

Fess up: How many of you have used Grindr or Manhunt to scope out the area around a school?

I admit that I've made queries for Austin, TX (although the results were a little disappointing)...I'm hoping Grindr says otherwise during ASW.

When I was considering what to do about my UVA waitlist, I got on Adam4Adam and scoped out Charlottesville. As I had imagined, the prospects were dismal. I knew I could NEVER last 3 years in Charlottesville. But Austin isn't much better: the gay men here are hideous. And people wonder why I can't wait to move to Houston.

:(

don't worry YC...once you score that biglaw job, move to DC/NYC, you'll have all the hot boys coming

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:37 am

YCrevolution wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:

Sorry, YCrevolution. To me, Black + Gay + Charlottesville = MISERY.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:51 am

OperaAttorney wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:

If you're a Republican you might just fit in though. I've never met more Log Cabin R's than during my 72 hours in C'ville.

tintin

Postby tintin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:54 am

this thread is pretty great.

anyone know if there is an equivalent lesbian version??

i need to see what the prospects would be in philly v chicago. im guessing dismal at both...

nit00

Postby nit00 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:57 am

Kretzy wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:

If you're a Republican you might just fit in though. I've never met more Log Cabin R's than during my 72 hours in C'ville.

Is Club 216 still a tragic mess?

c0rpusdelicti

Postby c0rpusdelicti » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:58 am

OperaAttorney wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:

+1 enough for me to turn down a full ride.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:05 pm

tintin wrote:this thread is pretty great.

i need to see what the prospects would be in philly v chicago. im guessing dismal at both...

I vaguely remember reading an interview with the grindr developer in which he said he was considering creating a comparable version for women, but I'm not sure if he ever did.

chango

Postby chango » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:13 pm

I find that the hotness of the student body is inversely proportionate to the school's rank. Silver lining to going to a TTT, I suppose.

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:17 pm

:lol: i saw this thread on the front page and absolutely knew who started it hahaha.. i didnt know what Grindr was until UT's ASW haha.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:16 am

catharsis wrote::lol: i saw this thread on the front page and absolutely knew who started it hahaha.. i didnt know what Grindr was until UT's ASW haha.

lol thanks for going with me to 4th st :lol:

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:24 am

All the high-ranked GLBT applicants should just overwhelm a school. Think, if all of us picked a lower T-50 like Hastings or UF and all went there....we could boost it to a T-20 and have an exciting three years ;)

Postby 02122015 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:25 am

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:36 am

MSPeast wrote:I'm visiting UT at the end of next week, which is also over my birthday. Apparently I get to look at hot straight guys for my birthday. I'll take it... I better buy some highly-reflective, polarized sunglasses first, though. You know what I'm talking about. Anyway, what's fun on a Friday night in Austin?

bar hopping down sixth street then wandering your way down to fourth street where all the gays are. not sure about fridays, but thursdays are amateur strip nights at rain.

Chichaca

Postby Chichaca » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:11 am

tintin wrote:this thread is pretty great.

I don't have any experience with these cities, but they're two of the biggest in the US. The prospects couldn't be as "dismal" as they would be in a small town. We should start a "Queer Women Class of 2013" thread!

Edit: SO went to Penn for UG and tells you to check out "Sisters" if you end up there. (She says it's the "best lesbian bar ever." :lol: )

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:28 pm

f0bolous wrote:
MSPeast wrote:I'm visiting UT at the end of next week, which is also over my birthday. Apparently I get to look at hot straight guys for my birthday. I'll take it... I better buy some highly-reflective, polarized sunglasses first, though. You know what I'm talking about. Anyway, what's fun on a Friday night in Austin?

bar hopping down sixth street then wandering your way down to fourth street where all the gays are. not sure about fridays, but thursdays are amateur strip nights at rain.

We must have different tastes. I went to 4th street twice last September. The scene was tragic. I haven't been back since. Thank God I have an out-of-state boo of sorts. When I'm not missing him, I work out and play tennis LOL :).

Postby 02122015 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:24 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:39 pm

MSPeast wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

We must have different tastes. I went to 4th street twice last September. The scene was tragic. I haven't been back since. Thank God I have an out-of-state boo of sorts. When I'm not missing him, I work out and play tennis LOL :).

Yeah, this kind of reminds me of my undergrad life. I don't mind just making straight friends for the weekend and going to 6th street. I do like going to non-gay bars sometimes since I generally know what to expect at the end of the night! I never actually went to a single gay bar during undergrad since Phoenix doesn't have a good scene at all (although not coming out until the beginning of senior year is part of it too). OTOH, when I was in D.C., I went two nights in a row and it was awesome. Plus, I went and bought new sunglasses today so I can definitely enjoy the hot-weather people-watching that I've missed since AZ - with the right sunglasses you can basically leer at people covertly, and those big hot-weather state schools are perfect for that.

Our experiences are still different. I refuse to poison my body with alcohol. And I refuse to ruin my hearing by enduring loud music. So, I don't frequent any bars :lol:.

That said, I sometimes go out with friends to have a good time. I'm loads of funny, really. ;)

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”