GLBT: C/O 2015, Grindr/Manhunt, and More

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
de5igual

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby de5igual » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:00 am

YCrevolution wrote:closeted fratboy in [an ultra-Southern frat]

i'm going to guess KA? Yikes!

oddly enough, one of my best friends (also gay) was also in KA. the kicker's that he's also black. he claims, though, that KA is different in the north than it is in the south, despite still having the confederate rituals

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:02 am

BenJ wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:My law school isn't in the middle of nowhere, but I'm surrounded by Jesusland (as in Liberty and Regent). At any rate, I never checked out any of those sites before applying Early Decision, and I still haven't checked them out for this area.

I don't have an iPhone. I do kind of, sort of, want a boyfriend though. :(

i'd imagine there to be a pretty large closeted fratty population at UVA...probably not your type (or is it?)

I'm going to plead the 5th here. :oops:

It's the ultra-closeted part that actually bothers me. I can understand why people don't want to tell their families sometimes (esp. b/c you don't get to pick your family and some people have some crazy families), but what kind of delusion do you have to be living under to join a frat and pretend you're straight. At Vandy, there was this closeted fratboy in [an ultra-Southern frat], and he was obsessed, to the point of being paranoid, with making sure people didn't find out. I always wondered why he wanted to do that to himself.

But yeah, I'm not really the hookups type.

"I just need to focus on school right now." At least, I've heard that line multiple times before, that coming out was more stress than staying in the closet and therefore coming out was not an option while taking school serious. Incredibly misguided, of course, but still common.

Then again, I doubt a Vandy UG frat boy was too concerned about academics.

Also, online dating is less sleazy than picking guys up in bars. Of course, I've never done either.

I've done both; they're pretty similar, depending on your level of inebriation.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:04 am

Kretzy wrote:I've done both; they're pretty similar, depending on your level of inebriation.

i still say MH is more sleazy (i'm an admitted user, btw lol). at least with the bar, there's always this mystery of what's to come (no pun intended). with MH, you go with the intent to do whatever the hell you guys planned on doing.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:08 am

jay115

Postby jay115 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:11 am

BenJ wrote:"I just need to focus on school right now." At least, I've heard that line multiple times before, that coming out was more stress than staying in the closet and therefore coming out was not an option while taking school serious. Incredibly misguided, of course, but still common.

Also, online dating is less sleazy than picking guys up in bars and much more inclined to lead to long-term relationships. Bars are for hook-ups, if that's what you want.

Wayyy too much generalization! For example, my UG had like 10 other open gay guys, and let's just say there weren't too many options available within those 10. Besides, I probably wouldn't date within such a small population - bound to start some nasty drama/gossip. So I went to the ONLY gay club as a sophomore and found a bf who I dated for a little over 2 months. How can you think A4A isn't used by our generation of dudes (it is in my area, anyways) but online dating, which I associate with overly busy elderly business people looking to settle, is? But I suppose my own question overly generalizes as well...

Krezy, I want your stanford acceptance. Of course, I'm more angry at myself for shitting around these past four years and crapping on my LSAT. I suppose I know have motivation to do really well my 1L year so that I'll have transfer-ready status.

Edit: wait what? there are frats that have "confederate rituals"?
Last edited by jay115 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:13 am

jay115 wrote:
BenJ wrote:"I just need to focus on school right now." At least, I've heard that line multiple times before, that coming out was more stress than staying in the closet and therefore coming out was not an option while taking school serious. Incredibly misguided, of course, but still common.

Also, online dating is less sleazy than picking guys up in bars and much more inclined to lead to long-term relationships. Bars are for hook-ups, if that's what you want.

Wayyy too much generalization! For example, my UG had like 10 open gay guys, let's just say there weren't too many options available within those 10. Besides, I probably wouldn't date within such a small population - bound to start some nasty drama/gossip. So I went to the ONLY gay club as a sophomore and found a bf who I dated for a little over 2 months. How can you think A4A isn't used by our generation of dudes (it is in my area, anyways) but online dating, which I associate with overly busy elderly business people looking to settle, is? But I suppose my own question overly generalizes as well...

Krezy, I want your stanford acceptance. Of course, I'm more angry at myself for shitting around these past four years and crapping on my LSAT. I suppose I know have motivation to do really well my 1L year so that I'll have transfer-ready status.

My UG is incredibly progressive and pro-gay, yet there were 3 out gay men in my graduating class of 600. One was my freshman roommate. Needless to say, we became a couple; my own little gay soap opera in vehemently anti-gay Colorado Springs, CO.

JayTal

Postby JayTal » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:16 am

I'll admit I've looked at a few sites. Go to a LS with a large undergrad! Then you'll have plenty of options if you don't mind slightly younger people :D

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:18 am

jay115 wrote:

Wayyy too much generalization! For example, my UG had like 10 open gay guys, let's just say there weren't too many options available within those 10. Besides, I probably wouldn't date within such a small population - bound to start some nasty drama/gossip. So I went to the ONLY gay club as a sophomore and found a bf who I dated for a little over 2 months. How can you think A4A isn't used by our generation of dudes (it is in my area, anyways) but online dating, which I associate with overly busy elderly business people looking to settle, is? But I suppose my own question overly generalizes as well...

I guess I feel like 2 months isn't really a bf. Bars are just not places you get to know a person, but online dating allows you to get to know a person before you first go out. Might be a personality thing, though. Like I said, no actual experience in either, met my current and all past bfs through friends/parties/on campus stuff. My knowledge of online dating is all secondhand, although I have gone to bars since turning 21.

Some of it is Boston area, though, especially a UG that is probably 20% gay.

JayTal, no cradle robbing!

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:19 am

JayTal

Postby JayTal » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:21 am

JayTal wrote: JayTal, no cradle robbing!

I've been happily in a relationship for 3 years. Just trying to give you'all options :wink:

jay115

Postby jay115 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:22 am

Kretzy wrote:
jay115 wrote:

My UG is incredibly progressive and pro-gay, yet there were 3 out gay men in my graduating class of 600. One was my freshman roommate. Needless to say, we became a couple; my own little gay soap opera in vehemently anti-gay Colorado Springs, CO.

OK please dont flame me, but im a libertarian and i was an intern for FEE (foundation for economic foundation) - a libertarian think tank. The experience was not quite what I anticipated (a lot less weed and a lot more jesus) but are you acquainted with this craaaaazy christian college out near there called CCU? Goodness, I've never been at a more weirder place surrounded by nutjobs in my life.

I also had a gay freshman roommate, but he was one strange kid (used to jerk off at night while I was in the room) so I switched rooms. I suppose I've revealed enough information that people could identify me and I shouldn't be telling stories about past roommates... oh well.

YCrevolution wrote:
jay115 wrote:Edit: wait what? there are frats that have "confederate rituals"?

Yes. The one at Vandy has a Civil War cannon in the front yard. I'm under the impression that they've stopped flying the Confederate flag.

Not cool.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:23 am

JayTal

Postby JayTal » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:25 am

YCrevolution wrote:
JayTal wrote:

I've been happily in a relationship for 3 years. Just trying to give you'all options :wink:

It's "y'all."

Clearly, I am not from the south :lol:

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:27 am

YCrevolution wrote:
JayTal wrote:

It's "y'all."

+1

jay115 wrote:Edit: wait what? there are frats that have "confederate rituals"?

it's worse at the SEC schools. At UGA, KA hosted an antebellum social and had the local African-American kids in costumes picking cotton in the background.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:31 am

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:32 am

jay115 wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
jay115 wrote:

OK please dont flame me, but im a libertarian and i was an intern for FEE (foundation for economic foundation) - a libertarian think tank. The experience was not quite what I anticipated (a lot less weed and a lot more jesus) but are you acquainted with this craaaaazy christian college out near there called CCU? Goodness, I've never been at a more weirder place surrounded by nutjobs in my life.

Haha, Colorado Christian? Oh yes, a few folks who went to my church in HS ended up going there for [strike]indoctrination[/strike] college. They actually have satellite campuses, including one in a strip mall here in the Springs. The progressive ice cream parlor nearby has a good joke, for when you order nuts, about "those crazy fuckers across the street." Good stuff.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:42 am

facebook group for the tls gays? :P

off topic note: anyone watching the BCS championship game? does anyone find jordan shipley to be disturbingly hot?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:48 am

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:50 am

YCrevolution wrote:
f0bolous wrote:facebook group for the tls gays? :P

I'll create one.

call it "*TOP*-Law-Students (Bottoms welcome too)" ?

or something else more clever?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:54 am

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:57 am

YCrevolution wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
f0bolous wrote:facebook group for the tls gays? :P

I'll create one.

call it "*TOP*-Law-Students (Bottoms welcome too)" ?

or something else more clever?

Would transfer students count as versatile?

hah most def!

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:02 am

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:09 am

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:17 am

i <3 it

YCrevolution