GLBT: C/O 2015, Grindr/Manhunt, and More

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
ccs224

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby ccs224 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:15 pm

ccs224 wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
Core wrote:NYC obviously has a huge, vibrant scene, but for someone not into in bars and clubs it doesn't really matter.

NYC is the best for everything. You can go to the typical spots, which are larger and more numerous than probably anyplace but SF, but if you're not into Queer as Folk style scene you won't be at a loss; there are places to find punk gays, nerdy gays, gays with toddlers, gay toddlers, gay butchers, anarchist, vegan polysexual squats, lesbian knitting societies, etc. I myself am not a fan of what might be considered the "typical" gay scene (clubs playing club music, shirtless bartenders, Britney, etc), which NYC has plenty of, and have managed to pass a good ten years here without ever really going to Chelsea or Hell's Kitchen or the West Village, and have never felt at a loss because of it. Even if you're not into bars, there are plenty of places where you'll run into guys and communities that suit you. NYC is awesome. I highly endorse it.

I would kill to meet some nerdy gays. Law school can't come fast enough to get me out of the hell-hole that is Colorado Springs.

http://guestofaguest.com/calendar/2009/ ... ed-dating/

Edit: Oh, and this weekend's Nerd Night features not only presentations on PI, but a powerpoint on the legal case for gay marriage (or at least I'm hoping it's a powerpoint.) Dating is for straights, though, but nerds are easy to take advantage of regardless of professed sexuality. http://nyc.nerdnite.com/

Edit: Woops, that wasn't an edit. Tomorrow, I won't start drinking until after 5pm, I promise.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:17 pm

ccs224 wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
Core wrote:NYC obviously has a huge, vibrant scene, but for someone not into in bars and clubs it doesn't really matter.

NYC is the best for everything. You can go to the typical spots, which are larger and more numerous than probably anyplace but SF, but if you're not into Queer as Folk style scene you won't be at a loss; there are places to find punk gays, nerdy gays, gays with toddlers, gay toddlers, gay butchers, anarchist, vegan polysexual squats, lesbian knitting societies, etc. I myself am not a fan of what might be considered the "typical" gay scene (clubs playing club music, shirtless bartenders, Britney, etc), which NYC has plenty of, and have managed to pass a good ten years here without ever really going to Chelsea or Hell's Kitchen or the West Village, and have never felt at a loss because of it. Even if you're not into bars, there are plenty of places where you'll run into guys and communities that suit you. NYC is awesome. I highly endorse it.

I would kill to meet some nerdy gays. Law school can't come fast enough to get me out of the hell-hole that is Colorado Springs.

http://guestofaguest.com/calendar/2009/ ... ed-dating/

Only 4 years until I can work in NYC and go to this :)

absolut86

Postby absolut86 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:13 pm

coollegemex wrote:
absolut86 wrote:
coollegemex wrote:I live in LA and I can attest to the potency and deliciousness of the Abbey's Appletini

It's a shame that the guys at the Abbey are so consistently unattractive/cholo, the mango mojitos there are AMAZING.

Tone is hard to decipher on here... but I'm going to go ahead and assume you are joking... about the unattractive/cholo comments at least, not sure about the mojitos.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Abbey (especially the after work specials, the drinks there are by far the best in weho), but on Friday and Saturday nights it's kind of ghetto. It attracts a lot of guys from places like Rancho Cucamonga, Eagle Rock, and San Fernando who drive in for a night out. Most of the hot guys have moved on. There is a LOT more eye candy at Mickeys or Eleven. You should definitely try the Abbey mojitos though, they're great.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm

absolut86 wrote:
coollegemex wrote:
absolut86 wrote:
coollegemex wrote:I live in LA and I can attest to the potency and deliciousness of the Abbey's Appletini

It's a shame that the guys at the Abbey are so consistently unattractive/cholo, the mango mojitos there are AMAZING.

Tone is hard to decipher on here... but I'm going to go ahead and assume you are joking... about the unattractive/cholo comments at least, not sure about the mojitos.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Abbey (especially the after work specials, the drinks there are by far the best in weho), but on Friday and Saturday nights it's kind of ghetto. It attracts a lot of guys from places like Rancho Cucamonga, Eagle Rock, and San Fernando who drive in for a night out. Most of the hot guys have moved on. There is a LOT more eye candy at Mickeys or Eleven. You should definitely try the Abbey mojitos though, they're great.

You'd be right at home in the Castro with a sentiment like that.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:37 pm

absolut86 wrote:

is rancho cucamonga that bad? i had a client that wasn't too far from there and i drove in for some pinkberry. seemed like any other suburb to me. didn't once cross my mind that i was in the hood.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:46 pm

f0bolous wrote:
is rancho cucamonga that bad? i had a client that wasn't too far from there and i drove in for some pinkberry.

LOL.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:47 pm

ccs224 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
is rancho cucamonga that bad? i had a client that wasn't too far from there and i drove in for some pinkberry.

LOL.

Yet amazingly, not even close to the gayest thing said in this thread.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:16 pm

Kretzy wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

LOL.

Unless this thread turns in to Grey Gardens or Mommy Dearest, it'll be hard surpass some of the earlier comments.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:19 pm

ccs224 wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

LOL.

Unless this thread turns in to Grey Gardens or Mommy Dearest, it'll be hard surpass some of the earlier comments.

i have no idea what either of those are

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:21 pm

f0bolous wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

Please go Netflix them, along with AbFab Series 1 :D

jay115

Postby jay115 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:24 pm

ccs224 wrote:

i love shirtless bartenders. haha, but i clearly love nerdy gays as well. or else i wouldnt be on this damn forum 24/7

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Kretzy wrote:Please go Netflix them, along with AbFab Series 1 :D

you, sir, are too gay. i love it! haha

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:39 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Please go Netflix them, along with AbFab Series 1 :D

you, sir, are too gay. i love it! haha

I like to think I'm just the right amount of gay.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:48 pm

jay115 wrote:
ccs224 wrote:

i love shirtless bartenders. haha, but i clearly love nerdy gays as well. or else i wouldnt be on this damn forum 24/7

Then come to New York and make all your dreams come true.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:49 pm

f0bolous wrote:
ccs224 wrote:

Kids these days - no sense of heritage.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:59 pm

ccs224 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
ccs224 wrote:

lol you're not that much older than me

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:06 pm

f0bolous wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
ccs224 wrote:

Apparently I'm old enough! There's nothing like having your cultural touchstones disregarded to make you feel over the hill.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:10 pm

ccs224 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

Apparently I'm old enough! There's nothing like having your cultural touchstones disregarded to make you feel over the hill.

I own Mommy Dearest and I'm younger than f0b.

Edit: However, I've never heard of Grey Gardens. In other news, anyone here watch Rupaul's Drag Race? The title sequence alone would turn anyone gay.
Last edited by ConMan345 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:11 pm

ConMan345 wrote:I own Mommy Dearest and I'm younger than f0b.

how do you know? :P

MidwestJosh

Postby MidwestJosh » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:17 pm

Jesus Fucking Christ.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:18 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
ccs224 wrote:

I own Mommy Dearest and I'm younger than f0b.

Edit: However, I've never heard of Grey Gardens. In other news, anyone here watch Rupaul's Drag Race? The title sequence alone would turn anyone gay.

I'm intent on throwing Drag Race parties at SLS next year.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:19 pm

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:20 pm

Kretzy wrote:
I'm intent on throwing Drag Race parties at SLS next year.

I'm there. Drink. in. hand.

MidwestJosh

Postby MidwestJosh » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:23 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
MidwestJosh wrote:Jesus Fucking Christ.

You're back! :D

hahaha... Only because I just heard about this thread. Besides this debauchery... What's new around these parts?

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:28 pm

Also, for those of you who imbibe, there is a thing called the "Manhunt Drinking Game," it is as follows:

(warning: the site I got this from is NfuckinSFW, luckily, work doesn't monitor my web use and no one came into my office)

SCREENNAMES:

Drink once for...

Boi George: Boi in profile name (twice if profile in question would not normally be considered a boi, double offender rule)

IWannaSEXxXuUp: Sexual screenname

Does Not Compute: Screenname does not match up to pictures or profile. Example: yungstud for 35 year old.

PICTURES:

Drink once for...

Headless Horsemen: Profiles that only have cut off above the neck pictures.

Non Sequitur: Main profile picture displays goods other than what the advertiser claims to be. Example: A "top" with a picture of his ass.

Drink twice for...

How Lovely: Blatant sexual act in profile pictures.

Censored: Any part of the picture crudely blacked, blurred or fuzzed out -- double if there are images photoshopped over.

Homo Say What?: Pictures are of sexual nature, yet profile claims "no hookups", looking for an LTR or other phrases of a non-sexual nature.

PROFILE:

Drink once for...

Soapbox: Anyone taking any sort of moral position in their profile. Example: This is a sex site, if you're offended by...

The Limited: Drink once for every limitation a guy puts in his profile. Examples: No fatties, under 35, no black, asian, etc.

Drink twice for...

Double Your Pleasure: Couple looking for a third, or part of couple looking for on-the-side action.

GENERAL:

Drink once for...

You've Got Mail!: Every unsolicited e-mail received. First messages only... replies don't count.

Caught Red Handed: If you come across anyone's profile who you know from somewhere other than Manhunt.

Drink twice if...

Beep Me 911: IM invitation is received.

Thanks, I Think: Private pictures unlocked for no apparent reason.

Drink shot...

I Want You So Bad: Unsolicited sex invitation. Double down when your profile is non-sexual in nature.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”