GLBT: C/O 2015, Grindr/Manhunt, and More

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Kretzy

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Postby Kretzy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:34 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
jay115 wrote:Stanford is quite insular as a general community even though it's like 40+ minutes from San Francisco.

Actually, I want to emphasize this more. Palo Alto is not near SF. It is 40-45 minutes by car with no traffic, easily 1 hour plus in traffic. If you're traveling by public transportation (and need to bike/marguerite (free bus) to the caltrain station from campus), it can take and hour and a half (caltrain ride is 1 hour). In my experience, even if you have a willing DD with a lead foot, the ride back from the clubs at 2am gets old really quickly.

Thank God my best friend lives in the Castro, I suppose. I complain about an 8 block walk home from the bars...

Yes, haha, that is very convenient. I lived in the Castro for the summer with the bf, literally 900 feet (google maps) from our favorite bar. :lol: After that, making the drive from Stanford was just too crazy.

If it weren't for the drama inherent in the Castro, living there would be so damn convenient. I'll let him keep the drama and I'll use him for the short walking distance to Bagdad Cafe for 3 am chili cheese fries...
Last edited by Kretzy on Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:35 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
jay115 wrote:Stanford is quite insular as a general community even though it's like 40+ minutes from San Francisco.

Actually, I want to emphasize this more. Palo Alto is not near SF. It is 40-50 minutes by car with no traffic, easily 1-1.5 hours in traffic. If you're traveling by public transportation (and need to bike/marguerite (free bus) to the caltrain station from campus), it can take an hour and a half (caltrain ride is 1 hour). In my experience, even if you have a willing DD with a lead foot, the ride back from the clubs at 2am gets old really quickly.

haha thats right. i was raised in between both areas (San Mateo/Hillsborough border) and its 20 minutes either way, so i got confused.

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:47 pm

Kretzy wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
Thank God my best friend lives in the Castro, I suppose. I complain about an 8 block walk home from the bars...

Yes, haha, that is very convenient. I lived in the Castro for the summer with the bf, literally 900 feet (google maps) from our favorite bar. :lol: After that, making the drive from Stanford was just too crazy.

If it weren't for the drama inherent in the Castro, living there would be so damn convenient. I'll let him keep the drama and I'll use him for the short walking distance to Bagdad Cafe for 3 am chili cheese fries...

Somehow reminding me of when I wandered into Boystown in Chicago with some friends on my 18th birthday. If I go to Northwestern, I'll probably live around there.

agathon360

Postby agathon360 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:52 pm

Yuck, please don't make the mistake of living *in* Boystown. I mean, it's not a terrible neighborhood, but there are so many slutty guys who live nearby who show up at the bars night after night. I mean, I guess that's cool for a little while, but I'm actually not a big fan of the Chicago gay scene. Certain bars like sidetrack just target way too old a crowd (like 40+), and the only late-night club fills up with old mucle-t ravers.

Hyde Park isn't bad if you have a car, you can zip up to Belmont in under 20 minutes, with a nice drive along the lake shore to entertain you.

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

agathon360 wrote:Yuck, please don't make the mistake of living *in* Boystown. I mean, it's not a terrible neighborhood, but there are so many slutty guys who live nearby who show up at the bars night after night. I mean, I guess that's cool for a little while, but I'm actually not a big fan of the Chicago gay scene. Certain bars like sidetrack just target way too old a crowd (like 40+), and the only late-night club fills up with old mucle-t ravers.

Hyde Park isn't bad if you have a car, you can zip up to Belmont in under 20 minutes, with a nice drive along the lake shore to entertain you.

Nah, I wanted to live in Lakeview for the cheaper rent, and realized it's right near Boystown. Near Northwestern is just SOOOO expensive. I don't care about the scene since I'm already in a relationship.

agathon360

Postby agathon360 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:15 pm

Well Lakeview is worth it if you live in one of the nice lakeside buildings; but are you really considering Northwestern over UChicago? Maybe it's just me, but the whole 'corporate' atmosphere of NW just holds absolutely no attraction (plus, Evanston really is dismal, unless you have a taste for middle-class Mid-West surburbia).

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:17 pm

agathon360 wrote:Well Lakeview is worth it if you live in one of the nice lakeside buildings; but are you really considering Northwestern over UChicago? Maybe it's just me, but the whole 'corporate' atmosphere of NW just holds absolutely no attraction (plus, Evanston really is dismal, unless you have a taste for middle-class Mid-West surburbia).

NW is in downtown, and it just depends on whether or not NW gives me a scholarship or not. Both of my parents went to Northwestern, so it has that family appeal. And I grew up in the north suburbs ;)

agathon360

Postby agathon360 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:21 pm

Oh that's right...of course NW is downtown. The famous gate to nowhere.

So will there be any LBGT events at all these ASWs? Or are we expected just to rely in instinct to scout out the 'scene'?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:26 pm

violaboy wrote:
agathon360 wrote:Yuck, please don't make the mistake of living *in* Boystown. I mean, it's not a terrible neighborhood, but there are so many slutty guys who live nearby who show up at the bars night after night. I mean, I guess that's cool for a little while, but I'm actually not a big fan of the Chicago gay scene. Certain bars like sidetrack just target way too old a crowd (like 40+), and the only late-night club fills up with old mucle-t ravers.

Nah, I wanted to live in Lakeview for the cheaper rent, and realized it's right near Boystown. Near Northwestern is just SOOOO expensive. I don't care about the scene since I'm already in a relationship.

I am pretty sure I am going to end up in living in lakeview to save some money too. I will say that I don't think the scene is as bad as agathon makes it out to be. As long as you can find your place in it, there are a lot of decent bars/clubs to go to.
Last edited by D-hops on Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agathon360

Postby agathon360 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:34 pm

Well I didn't want to make the scene sound awful. I'm sure there are good campus scenes at both the law schools themselves (though perhaps not as large as the LGBT scenes at some of the other major law schools); and there are some good clubs. Roscoe's can be fun, especially in the summer; Berlin is hit or miss; and Hydrate is the aforementioned late night club, which, depending on the event, can be up or down. There's also the Market Days street fair in the summer, which is definitely worth attending. But I do think it's fair to say the scene is a little older than scenes in other major cities. It also has a somewhat ineffable mid-west vibe to it (naturally enough) -

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:53 pm

D-hops wrote:This, except for Atlanta. I always hear good things about the gay scene in Atlanta.

atlanta's scene is ok...it's the gay mecca for those living south of the mason dixon line east of the mississippi. the gay population is probably more southern than the rest of the area's population.

people don't usually associate atlanta with gay, but it ranks 3rd in cities with the highest percentage of gays

nit00

Postby nit00 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:55 pm

D-hops wrote:
violaboy wrote:

I am pretty sure I am going to end up in living in lakeview to save some money too. I will say that I don't think the scene is as bad as agathon makes it out to be. As long as you can find you place in it, there are a lot of decent bars/clubs to go to.

I just got back from visiting schools in Chicago last weekend, and I had a great time. It's an awesome city! Any big city is what you make of it, you can pretty much find whatever kind of scene you want. As someone who is older, I would rather meet 30-40 something guys instead of someone straight out of UG, so "older" people at the bars doesn't bother me.

I'm looking to live in Lakeview too, the rents seem reasonable and it's a nice area.

Core

Postby Core » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:59 pm

nit00 wrote:
D-hops wrote:
violaboy wrote:

I am pretty sure I am going to end up in living in lakeview to save some money too. I will say that I don't think the scene is as bad as agathon makes it out to be. As long as you can find you place in it, there are a lot of decent bars/clubs to go to.

I just got back from visiting schools in Chicago last weekend, and I had a great time. It's an awesome city! Any big city is what you make of it, you can pretty much find whatever kind of scene you want. As someone who is older, I would rather meet 30-40 something guys instead of someone straight out of UG.

I'm looking to live in Lakeview too, the rents seem reasonable and it's a nice area.

-
Last edited by Core on Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

agathon360

Postby agathon360 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:08 pm

I wonder if anyone has ever flunked out of Columbia or NYU for spending all his time cruising NYC -

coollegemex

Postby coollegemex » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:48 pm

absolut86 wrote:
coollegemex wrote:I live in LA and I can attest to the potency and deliciousness of the Abbey's Appletini

It's a shame that the guys at the Abbey are so consistently unattractive/cholo, the mango mojitos there are AMAZING.

Tone is hard to decipher on here... but I'm going to go ahead and assume you are joking... about the unattractive/cholo comments at least, not sure about the mojitos.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:49 pm

agathon360 wrote:Oh that's right...of course NW is downtown. The famous gate to nowhere.

So will there be any LBGT events at all these ASWs? Or are we expected just to rely in instinct to scout out the 'scene'?

Stanford invited the gays to minority preview day before ASW, and apparently there's a dinner and events in SF during that night. Columbia and NYU are both doing dinners through their OUTlaw groups. I've gotten no contact from Chicago's group, so I don't think they're doing anything in particular.

Not sure about any others.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:08 pm

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:13 pm

Kretzy wrote:

I also suggest Marcello's pizza, it's between the Diesel store and Qbar (another personal favorite, $2.50 drinks ftw) across the street from the Castro theater. It's a little pricey but oh-so-good.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:25 pm

agathon360 wrote:

Please see the title of this thread. You can use more than instinct.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:39 pm

Core wrote:NYC obviously has a huge, vibrant scene, but for someone not into in bars and clubs it doesn't really matter.

NYC is the best for everything. You can go to the typical spots, which are larger and more numerous than probably anyplace but SF, but if you're not into Queer as Folk style scene you won't be at a loss; there are places to find punk gays, nerdy gays, gays with toddlers, gay toddlers, gay butchers, anarchist, vegan polysexual squats, lesbian knitting societies, etc. I myself am not a fan of what might be considered the "typical" gay scene (clubs playing club music, shirtless bartenders, Britney, etc), which NYC has plenty of, and have managed to pass a good ten years here without ever really going to Chelsea or Hell's Kitchen or the West Village, and have never felt at a loss because of it. Even if you're not into bars, there are plenty of places where you'll run into guys and communities that suit you. NYC is awesome. I highly endorse it.

Core

Postby Core » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

ccs224 wrote:
Core wrote:NYC obviously has a huge, vibrant scene, but for someone not into in bars and clubs it doesn't really matter.

NYC is the best for everything. You can go to the typical spots, which are larger and more numerous than probably anyplace but SF, but if you're not into Queer as Folk style scene you won't be at a loss; there are places to find punk gays, nerdy gays, gays with toddlers, gay toddlers, gay butchers, anarchist, vegan polysexual squats, lesbian knitting societies, etc. I myself am not a fan of what might be considered the "typical" gay scene (clubs playing club music, shirtless bartenders, Britney, etc), which NYC has plenty of, and have managed to pass a good ten years here without ever really going to Chelsea or Hell's Kitchen or the West Village, and have never felt at a loss because of it. Even if you're not into bars, there are plenty of places where you'll run into guys and communities that suit you. NYC is awesome. I highly endorse it.

-
Last edited by Core on Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:04 pm

ccs224 wrote:

I would kill to meet some nerdy gays. Law school can't come fast enough to get me out of the hell-hole that is Colorado Springs.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:09 pm

Core wrote:
ccs224 wrote:

Haha glad to hear it, I should spend more time in the city then.

You definitely should, especially if you get into NYU or Columbia. Otherwise, I would just go to Berkeley and never look back. I, however, will not get into any of those schools, so I'll have to live vicariously through others.

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Kretzy wrote:
ccs224 wrote:

I would kill to meet some nerdy gays. Law school can't come fast enough to get me out of the hell-hole that is Colorado Springs.

There are a lot around my parts.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Kretzy wrote:
ccs224 wrote:

http://guestofaguest.com/calendar/2009/ ... ed-dating/

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”