GLBT: C/O 2015, Grindr/Manhunt, and More Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
de5igual

Silver

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Post by de5igual » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:39 pm

Cestjustemoi wrote:This is the funniest thread ever! I've used grindr and a4a to scope out some schools. But that's just because I'm moving further into the south!
where in the south are you going?

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:43 pm

Kretzy wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
f0bolous wrote:who's that in your 'tar? sorta looks like the guy in the womanizer vid (who is gay, btw :P )
Jon McLaughlin, one of my two major celeb crushes. I'm spoiled, going from one of the gayest cities in the country (Denver) to the Bay Area...

Also, just to engage with what's above; I'm good friends with Nina Flowers, and LOVE RuPaul's Drag Race...if anyone at Boalt/SLS next year wants to have watch parties, I'd more than happily oblige (and cook for) some in Munger :)
Denver is one of the gayest cities in the country? Since when?
Back when they did the "gay census," something like 12% of downtown Denver identified as GLBT. Denver's sort of where lots of gay people from the mountain west run to as soon as they come out. People don't realize it, but Denver's incredibly gay.
Surprisingly, so is Salt Lake City. It's about 10-12%.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:45 pm

violaboy wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
ccs224 wrote: Denver is one of the gayest cities in the country? Since when?
Back when they did the "gay census," something like 12% of downtown Denver identified as GLBT. Denver's sort of where lots of gay people from the mountain west run to as soon as they come out. People don't realize it, but Denver's incredibly gay.
SLC was the first place I went to a PRIDE parade, in 11th grade during the national debate tournament. Granted, I wasn't out, but I was sort of surprised at how many folks were there.

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:49 pm

Kretzy wrote:
violaboy wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
ccs224 wrote: Denver is one of the gayest cities in the country? Since when?
SLC was the first place I went to a PRIDE parade, in 11th grade during the national debate tournament. Granted, I wasn't out, but I was sort of surprised at how many folks were there.
Yeah, I went last year, and I was surprised at how many people were there. The gay Mormon population is HUGE.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:52 pm

f0bolous wrote:
chango wrote:
f0bolous wrote:who's that in your 'tar? sorta looks like the guy in the womanizer vid (who is gay, btw :P )
I don't believe there's confirmation that Brandon Stoughton is gay. I believe this picture (see below) started the rumors. Gay by association?

http://www.warrenandderrick.com/2008/10 ... n-gay.html
no official confirmation, but 1) straight guys typically don't go to all-gay type events without their SO and 2) I have got anecdotal evidence from an acquaintance in LA (which for all I know could be BS, but I've got no reason to doubt him)
assuming he's as hot in person as in the picture, i could try to verify his sexuality when i visit LA for UCLA's ASD... :D
agathon360 wrote:So does anyone know what the gay scene at HLS is like? Are there hot guys? Is the LGBT community reasonably large?
i've never clubbed out at cambridge, but boston has a rocking gay population; i always have a good time when im visiting my friend up there. there are some shadyass clubs where every guy is on meth though... i'd ask guys at your future law school where they go out to club/bar/coffee/etc.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:56 pm

violaboy wrote:
Yeah, I went last year, and I was surprised at how many people were there. The gay Mormon population is HUGE.
For a while it seemed the only guys I met at clubs were either Mormon or enlisted military.

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:58 pm

Kretzy wrote:
violaboy wrote:
For a while it seemed the only guys I met at clubs were either Mormon or enlisted military.
At all two clubs ;)

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:00 pm

violaboy wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
violaboy wrote:
At all two clubs ;)
Haha, not in SLC, but Denver. There's a huge Mormon population in CO. I used to go to Mormon dances when I was in high school :)

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:01 pm

Kretzy wrote:
violaboy wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
violaboy wrote:
At all two clubs ;)
Haha, not in SLC, but Denver. There's a huge Mormon population in CO. I used to go to Mormon dances when I was in high school :)
Oh, gotcha. Yeah, there is a huge population there. Well, in all of the Mountain West. Just reminded me, I had a friend who wanted to move to Laramie, WY. I was like, WHYYYYYY?????

You should see the dances at BYU ;)

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:04 pm

I like how this thread has turned into VBoy and I talking about western homo things...

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:06 pm

Kretzy wrote:I like how this thread has turned into VBoy and I talking about western homo things...
we can talk about southern homo things...

anyone? bueller?

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:07 pm

Kretzy wrote:I like how this thread has turned into VBoy and I talking about western homo things...
Lol. Shedding the stereotypes of western cowboys and Mormon bigots.

Cestjustemoi

Bronze

Post by Cestjustemoi » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:07 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Cestjustemoi wrote:This is the funniest thread ever! I've used grindr and a4a to scope out some schools. But that's just because I'm moving further into the south!
I'm moving from Florida to Louisiana. It will be a transition Florida is super gay with Orlando and fort lauderdale.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:10 pm

agathon360 wrote:So does anyone know what the gay scene at HLS is like? Are there hot guys? Is the LGBT community reasonably large?
This is something I've been wondering too. I've talked to some Boston/HLS gays who echo some of what others have said about Boston and some clubs in the city. Great city, some clubs are sketchy, but there are plenty to choose from. As for HLS itself, the consensus seems to be that there is a critical mass of gay people to actually hold events, etc. that are attended, which is a big plus. There is also mingling with grad gays from other schools as well, from what I've heard.

So, overall, seems to be the place to go out of HYS if you're really concerned about the gay scene.

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:12 pm

Cestjustemoi wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
I'm moving from Florida to Louisiana. It will be a transition Florida is super gay with Orlando and fort lauderdale.
I would be scared to go to the South.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:14 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
This is something I've been wondering too. I've talked to some Boston/HLS gays who echo some of what others have said about Boston and some clubs in the city. Great city, some clubs are sketchy, but there are plenty to choose from. As for HLS itself, the consensus seems to be that there is a critical mass of gay people to actually hold events, etc. that are attended, which is a big plus. There is also mingling with grad gays from other schools as well, from what I've heard.

So, overall, seems to be the place to go out of HYS if you're really concerned about the gay scene.
I'd agree with this. New Haven has no redeeming qualities and Stanford is quite insular as a general community even though it's like 20+ minutes from San Francisco. Palo Alto itself is a lot more upperclass family-oriented than college-townish, which isn't bad if you like that atmosphere.

Cestjustemoi

Bronze

Post by Cestjustemoi » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:15 pm

violaboy wrote:
Cestjustemoi wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
I'm a little apprehensive not scared. I saw just as much discrimination in Philadelphia as o have in some southern cities. I'm just nervous the gay population will be smaller. I do get to go to Southern Decadence in new orleans this year tho so that's a huge gay festival.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:17 pm

violaboy wrote:
Cestjustemoi wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
This, except for Atlanta. I always hear good things about the gay scene in Atlanta.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:18 pm

jay115 wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

I'd agree with this. New Haven has no redeeming qualities and Stanford is quite insular as a general community even though it's like 20+ minutes from San Francisco. Palo Alto itself is a lot more upperclass family-oriented than college-townish, which isn't bad if you like that atmosphere.
New Haven's not that bad...but as far as gay stuff, it's pretty terrible. YLS and the Yale Div school are both pretty gay.

And I think ConMan is right that HLS' size makes the gay scene there a little easier to form; the folks at SLS/YLS I spoken with say there are a decent number of gay folks at each, but I guess size matters :wink:

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:19 pm

jay115 wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

I'd agree with this. New Haven has no redeeming qualities and Stanford is quite insular as a general community even though it's like 40+ minutes from San Francisco. Palo Alto itself is a lot more upperclass family-oriented than college-townish, which isn't bad if you like that atmosphere.
Stanford ugrad fixing that for you, otherwise, right on. The Stanford gay grad community is fairly large; however, the number of guys who actually go to social events seems fairly constant, with not much turnover. I've heard Stanford OUTLAWS does very little, as it lacks the critical mass I mentioned.

Cestjustemoi

Bronze

Post by Cestjustemoi » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:21 pm

I
would be scared to go to the South.[/quote]
The Virginia AG, Ken Cuccinelli, announced a couple of days ago that VA public universities can't have a non-discrimination clause for sexual orientation. At the rate VA is going, there won't be any jobs left (esp. since the AG's move may cause Northman Grunman to pick MD over VA for its new HQ), but at least everyone gets to discriminate against the gays. Also, I think the timing is a bit suspect since many universities are on spring break this week.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 04999.html[/quote]

virginia is a hell hole

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:26 pm

jay115 wrote:Stanford is quite insular as a general community even though it's like 40+ minutes from San Francisco.
Actually, I want to emphasize this more. Palo Alto is not near SF. It is 40-50 minutes by car with no traffic, easily 1-1.5 hours in traffic. If you're traveling by public transportation (and need to bike/marguerite (free bus) to the caltrain station from campus), it can take an hour and a half (caltrain ride is 1 hour). In my experience, even if you have a willing DD with a lead foot, the ride back from the clubs at 2am gets old really quickly.
Last edited by ConMan345 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:27 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
jay115 wrote:Stanford is quite insular as a general community even though it's like 40+ minutes from San Francisco.
Actually, I want to emphasize this more. Palo Alto is not near SF. It is 40-45 minutes by car with no traffic, easily 1 hour plus in traffic. If you're traveling by public transportation (and need to bike/marguerite (free bus) to the caltrain station from campus), it can take and hour and a half (caltrain ride is 1 hour). In my experience, even if you have a willing DD with a lead foot, the ride back from the clubs at 2am gets old really quickly.
Thank God my best friend lives in the Castro, I suppose. I complain about an 8 block walk home from the bars...

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:31 pm

Kretzy wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
Actually, I want to emphasize this more. Palo Alto is not near SF. It is 40-45 minutes by car with no traffic, easily 1 hour plus in traffic. If you're traveling by public transportation (and need to bike/marguerite (free bus) to the caltrain station from campus), it can take and hour and a half (caltrain ride is 1 hour). In my experience, even if you have a willing DD with a lead foot, the ride back from the clubs at 2am gets old really quickly.
Thank God my best friend lives in the Castro, I suppose. I complain about an 8 block walk home from the bars...
Yes, haha, that is very convenient. I lived in the Castro for the summer with the bf, literally 900 feet (google maps) from our favorite bar. :lol: After that, making the drive from Stanford was just too crazy.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”