LGBT URM?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
SEATTLEITE188

LGBT URM?

Postby SEATTLEITE188 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:00 am

Is any weight as a URM given to LGBT status? Just curious.

Rand M.

Re: LGBT URM?

Postby Rand M. » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:07 am

It is said to certainly help one's application on the diversity front, but nothing like being URM. That probably has something to do with the fact that LGBT people are not under-represented in the legal community. If anything I would guess that they are actually over-represented, given the fact that as a group they tend to 'achieve' to a greater degree than the general populace. That being said, it could be the subject of a strong diversity statement and help one's cycle that way, but don't expect any systematic 'bump'.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:45 pm

Rand M. wrote:It is said to certainly help one's application on the diversity front, but nothing like being URM. That probably has something to do with the fact that LGBT people are not under-represented in the legal community. If anything I would guess that they are actually over-represented, given the fact that as a group they tend to 'achieve' to a greater degree than the general populace. That being said, it could be the subject of a strong diversity statement and help one's cycle that way, but don't expect any systematic 'bump'.

LGBT is not even remotely considered URM

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:47 pm

Rand M. wrote:It is said to certainly help one's application on the diversity front, but nothing like being URM. That probably has something to do with the fact that LGBT people are not under-represented in the legal community. If anything I would guess that they are actually over-represented, given the fact that as a group they tend to 'achieve' to a greater degree than the general populace. That being said, it could be the subject of a strong diversity statement and help one's cycle that way, but don't expect any systematic 'bump'.

"acheive to a greater degree"?!? and what evidence is there for that

predent/prelaw

Postby predent/prelaw » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:02 pm

HowdyYall wrote:

Use Google..... There have have been many studies showing this by companies like choice point for retail data hence the reason gays are marketed higher end products, but I think these studies are flawed in the way that its does not take into account people who do not claim to be gay or shop in that manner. Also I would say 50% of the souths homosexual population are closeted and married to the opposite sex with 2 kids and a dog(the majority of these do not come out unless caught in the act.)so there would be know way to know their socioeconomic status.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:25 pm

predent/prelaw wrote:
HowdyYall wrote:

Use Google..... There have have been many studies showing this by companies like choice point for retail data hence the reason gays are marketed higher end products, but I think these studies are flawed in the way that its does not take into account people who do not claim to be gay or shop in that manner. Also I would say 50% of the souths homosexual population are closeted and married to the opposite sex with 2 kids and a dog(the majority of these do not come out unless caught in the act.)so there would be know way to know their socioeconomic status.

I'm curious - in what manner do we shop?

quidestveritas

Postby quidestveritas » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:29 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
predent/prelaw wrote:
HowdyYall wrote:

Well I put lots of lube and dildos on my credit/debit card so I guess it would be a dead giveaway

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:32 pm

quidestveritas wrote:Well I put lots of lube and dildos on my credit/debit card so I guess it would be a dead giveaway

Yup, pretty much telegraphing yourself as either a homosexual or undersexed housewife when you do that.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:37 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
predent/prelaw wrote:
HowdyYall wrote:

Fabulously, honey!

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:43 pm

SEATTLEITE188 wrote:Is any weight as a URM given to LGBT status? Just curious.

OP: No. Interesting experiences as a queer individual may yield interesting PS, but that's about it.

And your handle is on point.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”