LGBT diversity statement for UVA WUSTL GW GT..?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
campari

LGBT diversity statement for UVA WUSTL GW GT..?

Postby campari » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:16 am

I am an international applicant, I know most T14 schools are liberal about LGBT issues.

I wonder if UVA WUSTL GW GT UIUC will also favor a LGBT diversity statement?

Thanks~~

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Re: LGBT diversity statement for UVA WUSTL GW GT..?

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:23 am

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sun May 10, 2015 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:04 am

No one will reject any diversity statement. LGBT certainly will not count against you at any school in the top 50 or so, although I (and most people) are skeptical that it helps at all unless you had a really bad experience or are transgender. Pepperdine at #55 is the first school on the T100 list where I think it would cause trouble, but you'd be insane as LGBT to apply to Pepperdine anyway. (Edit: Forgot about BYU at #41; again, you'd be insane.) Once you get really far down, state schools in conservative areas as well as religious schools should be avoided, but clearly you're well above all of them in standards.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:37 am

BenJ wrote:No one will reject any diversity statement. LGBT certainly will not count against you at any school in the top 50 or so, although I (and most people) are skeptical that it helps at all unless you had a really bad experience or are transgender. Pepperdine at #55 is the first school on the T100 list where I think it would cause trouble, but you'd be insane as LGBT to apply to Pepperdine anyway. (Edit: Forgot about BYU at #41; again, you'd be insane.) Once you get really far down, state schools in conservative areas as well as religious schools should be avoided, but clearly you're well above all of them in standards.

TITCR. In my (firsthand experience) opinion being LGBT doesn't make a damn difference to these schools if the numbers aren't there. I really don't think my cycle would have gone any differently had I NOT included an LGBT diversity statement. I mean, even with an oddball gender preference, I'm still an upper middle class white chick (dang.)

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:37 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
BenJ wrote:No one will reject any diversity statement. LGBT certainly will not count against you at any school in the top 50 or so, although I (and most people) are skeptical that it helps at all unless you had a really bad experience or are transgender. Pepperdine at #55 is the first school on the T100 list where I think it would cause trouble, but you'd be insane as LGBT to apply to Pepperdine anyway. (Edit: Forgot about BYU at #41; again, you'd be insane.) Once you get really far down, state schools in conservative areas as well as religious schools should be avoided, but clearly you're well above all of them in standards.

TITCR. In my (firsthand experience) opinion being LGBT doesn't make a damn difference to these schools if the numbers aren't there. I really don't think my cycle would have gone any differently had I NOT included an LGBT diversity statement. I mean, even with an oddball gender preference, I'm still an upper middle class white chick (dang.)

I'd like to qualify this a bit. While being LGBT generally doesn't make a difference if you don't have the numbers, you can use it to your advantage if you can tell an interesting, compelling story about it. In other words, you'll have to go beyond the I-managed-to-transcend-the-bigotry-of-the-straight-world-and-am-now-out-and-proud story. Why? Virtually every LGBT person can tell this story.

To have a shot at making your LGBT status work--even a wee bit!--for you, try telling an interesting, compelling story you know most LGBT persons can't or won't tell.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:57 pm

I wrote about being a queer person of color and how I've had to learn how to navigate those two identities that often seemed to be at odds with one another. I think that added another dimension to the LGBT angle, as well as the standard URM angle. Here's hoping it works!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”