3.2 GPA URM at top LAC

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
FREEDOM99

3.2 GPA URM at top LAC

Postby FREEDOM99 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:25 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting after lurking for a couple of months now. I am a black female at a top 3 liberal arts college in Massachusetts. My GPA is only a 3.2 in a humanities major. I took a practice LSAT and scored a 162. I plan to take the June LSAT and hopefully raise my score to at least 170. I'm in my junior year and I don't know if I should apply to law school in my senior year or if I should apply the year after that. If I apply after my senior I could have a GPA between 3.35-3.4. Would this make a difference? Would I have a shot at getting into Harvard if I waited a year after my senior year and applied with a 3.35+ GPA and 170+ LSAT? Or would it be more realistic for me to target schools like Columbia, NYU, U Chicago, and U Michigan in my senior year with a 3.2 GPA and hopefully a 170 LSAT?

jackassjim

Re: 3.2 GPA URM at top LAC

Postby jackassjim » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:48 pm

Try lawschoolpredictor.com put in your numbers and tick the URM box.

My 2 cents: With 3.35 and 170, you have no shot at Harvard whatsoever unless you have AMAZING softs (and no, president of your judo club doesn't count). All the other schools you mention are also far from being sure things. If you can only score a 170, you should apply lower than Michigan. If you can score a bit higher, you should still apply lower than Michigan.

Your top-LAC pedigree will not help you much with such a low GPA.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:15 pm

I am going to have to disagree with my good friend jackassjim. Stay far away from lawschoolpredictor.com I think its AWESOME for white folk but not URMs. I was straight deny at schools I got accepted into within a week or so. The problem there aren't that many URMs applying and posting their stats so there just isn't the data needed for LSP to be accurate for URMs IMO. Go here...http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prel ... ic=26160.0 It was very helpful for my cycle and encouraged me to apply to schools LSP said I had no shot at (and im going to be attending one of those in the fall). So I repeat..LSP not so good for URMs methinks but EXCELLENT for whitey.

edit: my 2 cents. apply early and you may wanna ED at like Chicago, NYU, Columbia if you are dead set on going there but a black female w/ a 170 and a GPA above a 3.0 = you are going to a t14. I say shoot an app out to Harvard, Yale, Stanford too. There are hardly any blacks who score in the 170's. You are in the 99.9999999 percentile of blacks w/ that LSAT so I think you have a shot everywhere you send an app to. But like I said apply early (aka September/October if you can). I would not be the least bit surprised if a t14 threw you some cash monies (not a whole lot)

FREEDOM99

Postby FREEDOM99 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:20 am

Thanks for the responses. Do you guys think I should take a year off so that my senior year grades can be included into my GPA?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 am

jackassjim wrote:Try lawschoolpredictor.com put in your numbers and tick the URM box.

This is terrible advice because LSP has known problems with certain categories, such as URMs and splitters, and you are potentially both. The "just go to LSP and plug your numbers" crowd are all idiots, because they usually end up piping up in these scenarios and saying that in circumstances where LSP is far from accurate.

That said... do what you can while you're still in school to boost your GPA as much as possible. If you can get it up to a 3.4 that'll help you a lot. 3.4/170 will likely get you into HYS. You may not even need a 170, but you should aim as high as you possibly can. You'll still be strong in the T14 and will need to blanket them all, regardless of your LSAT; even with a 3.4/162 you could probably get into a couple lower T14 (though I can't predict which).

Do what you have to in order to get your GPA up, and then work on your LSAT. Taking a year off is good because it'll get you a year of WE and it'll potentially help boost your GPA. Good luck. You have plenty of time to work on this and do what you need to, and the future is going to be yours before too long.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:36 pm

jackassjim wrote:Try lawschoolpredictor.com put in your numbers and tick the URM box.

My 2 cents: With 3.35 and 170, you have no shot at Harvard whatsoever unless you have AMAZING softs (and no, president of your judo club doesn't count). All the other schools you mention are also far from being sure things. If you can only score a 170, you should apply lower than Michigan. If you can score a bit higher, you should still apply lower than Michigan.

I agree with this. If you get a 170 and a 3.4, the best school you stand a decent shot at is NYU, although a shot in the dark at Harvard can't hurt. But you'd be greatly helped by applying early in the cycle either way. Honestly, you're very unlikely to ever do better than a shot in the dark at Harvard, with a 3.2 or a 3.4, so it might be worth applying there in September 2010 and then wait a year to up your GPA for a more serious run at the T14 after you graduate if you don't get in.

Some of this varies depending on your June LSAT. If you get a 175, say, you'll be in pretty good shape for everything short of HYS even with a 3.2 and should blanket the T14 this September.

c0rpusdelicti

Postby c0rpusdelicti » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:19 pm

I attended a top LAC (known for grade deflation and rigor). I'm an AA Male, stats are in my profile. I applied this cycle, after graduating.

I've gotten into NYU, Georgetown, and UVA (with a full ride) thus far. Denied at UT. Still waiting on Harvard, Columbia, and U. Chi.

For the love of God, do not pay attention to LSP.

FuturehoyaLawya

Postby FuturehoyaLawya » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:28 pm

as stated previously, don't listen to lsp as an URM....with a 170 and 3.3, you'll get into T-6 schools. You won't get into Yale though, harvard/stanford are long shots without excellent softs, but you will have excellent options otherwise. The higher you score, the more money you'll get from lower T-14s. :) Goodluck with the LSAT!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”