Cycle=Done!!

just a girl

Cycle=Done!!

Postby just a girl » Thu May 10, 2007 6:30 pm

So I will be starting my own admissions cycle soon and thought I would start a blog to document it. Any advice/comments are appreciated, so pleas share!

My information:
GPA:3.9+ at selective liberal arts college
LSAT: 159-160 (initial preptest diagnostics), hoping to improve to 170+ by September

Soft Factors:
Extensive internship experience
Campus Leadership
RA
Strong LORs
Various honors societies
Worked 20-40 hours throughout undergrad
Study abroad experience in two countries
fluency in foreign language
Parents did not graduate college (first-generation on one side)

I really hope that I don't seem like I'm bragging! Also, I may take down some of the more identifiable soft factors as my cycle continues. Some soft factors removed on 6/11

I am only looking at law schools where I can get a Masters in Social Work or Social Policy and Law degree in a 4 year combined program. I will be going into Public interest after school is over.

My top choices are:
Boalt
University of Michigan
University of Pennsylvania
Washington University in St. Louis
Boston College
Duke

I've been a member of TLS almost since the beginning, but I held off more personal posting until I got closer to my actual applications. I'm really looking forward to getting to know you all better! [/i]
Last edited by just a girl on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Fri May 11, 2007 12:56 pm

Per the suggestions of several on these boards, I've started researching Columbia and NYU for law and grad school as well.

Anyone have any advice on living in NYC during college/grad school? I grew up there but chose not to attend college in the city. Has anyone found it expensive/distracting/detrimental to live in NYC during college or grad school?

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Sat May 19, 2007 1:24 am

Edited.

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:47 pm

Progress: I have only been working intensively with the Powerscore Bibles for a couple of chapters...and I'm already seeing amazing results.

In my initial tests, I was getting so flustered by the games and my inability to diagram them that I would just stop answering them. I would either stop it entirely, or just wait for the time for the section to run out because I was getting so nervous and frozen. This unfortunately contributed to my occasional perfect scores in RC or LR, along with as many as -12 in LG. No more! I just took a practice LSAT (#15) and got three games perfect! Yippee! That's never happened to me before!

I've been using the older preptests for my own review, because I don't have trouble with RC, and I have much less trouble with LR than with anything else. Since the LG are harder on the older tests, I've been really pushing myself to work with them. And I really think it's been paying off. I don't want to brag, but I'm so happy. I never thought I could get less than 8 wrong on LG, but now I see that they are beatable. And I'm so happy.
I don't know if law school is what I want, right out of undergrad. But it's something I want in my future. So i need to push myself, get the best score possible, and have faith that however it works out, I'll get to where I'm meant to be.

The recent news on this board, especially Dancer and Corsair getting into NW is really encouraging.

I've been kind of realizing that I would like to go to Yale. But they don't have the exact program I want. And I would love to have the opportunity to be there...but is it even worth pursuing if it doesn't have what I know I want?

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:36 pm

Prep courses irritate me.

It's not that I find it unfair that I can't afford to shell out $1200 for a prep course but will still be judged against those who are fortunate enough to and can benefit from it. It's the fact that there is no disclosure of it. I think that people who take prep courses for the LSAT should be forced to say it on an application. I think that it's another way to evaluate one's score and since it is definitely an advantage in the testing process, adcomms should be made aware of it. Self-study is great, and I know that it's working for me. but for those who would benefit from a prep course but can't afford it, I think that they shouldn't be penalized for a lack of money. I guess I think that prep courses for any exam are another form of elitism in our academic system.

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Took the LSAT today! :)

Now all that remains is to wait for the day the scores are released.

As far as the admissions process-I've written my PS but haven't uploaded it to LSDAS or anything like that. Haven't asked profs to submit LOR, haven't had my transcripts sent, haven't even picked out a solid list of schools to look at. I'm visiting Yale on a whim in October. I'm kind of waiting for fee waivers. If I get some then maybe I'll get on the ball about actually starting this whole admissions-process shebang.

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:25 am

Visited Yale. liked it. Don't think I'm applying to law school anyway. It's very rich. And I'm not. I don't know if I would fit in.

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 am

Got my score. I was pretty pleased with it. It's good enough to ensure that my safeties won't be outside the top 20. That being said, just getting it helped me realize that no matter what the scores in that box were, nothing could have made me want to go to law school.

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:34 pm

I'm still trying to figure it all out. I've applied to the following schools:

Yale
Stanford
Columbia
Chicago
Cornell
Michigan
Boalt
UVA
Duke
Washington University in St. Louis

I got into WUSTL yesterday and I'm hearing from Duke today. My heart still isn't in this...but senior year has been so scary I'm glad that I can at least say that I have somewhere to go next year. It's funny, from a year ago my interests haven't changed that much.

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:15 pm

Update--Got into Duke.

Random Thoughts--why does every thread recently seem to become about AA? And why do some posters seem to think every post needs to somehow mention themselves?

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:58 pm

Boalt! I really like the idea of Boalt-the Sociology department at Berkeley is amazing and there aren't real grades. I'm going to have to visit.

just a girl

Re: Just a Blog

Postby just a girl » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:33 am

My Cycle Thus Far (1/11/08)
Accepted
1) Washington University in St. Louis (12/05/07)
2) Duke (12/07/07)
3) Boalt (12/20/07)
4) UVA (1/05/08)
5) Michigan (1/9/08)

Decisions Pending
1) Yale (expecting to be dinged)
2) Stanford (expecting waitlist/ding)
3) Chicago (waitlist or ding)
4) Columbia (waitlist or ding)
5) Cornell (expecting to be accepted, but who knows)

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:00 am

Wow I just checked my email and am in shock. I was awarded a 'Scholar in Law' award to Washington University in St Louis (full tuition guaranteed for 3 years), I don't know what to think...except to know that this makes my decision so much harder!

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:49 pm

Cornell!!!

I will be withdrawing from Duke and UVA soon.

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:20 am

My first non-acceptance today: Columbia. Not a rejection, not a waitlist, just a 'hold,' which I guess is a nice sign.
I'll probably send an updated transcript, but the strange thing is, when I think about writing an LOCI, I can't think of anything that distinguishes CLS from so many other schools that makes me want to go there. Maybe the fact that I could live in NYC rent free? And that my family lives down there. Otherwise, there really is nothing that makes me want to go there versus other schools, and it kind of worries me. I mean, I would love to be accepted there, but it would be really hard for me to justify going there over going to Michigan or Boalt. Hm...Katkins gave me some really great advice though, so I'll be taking it and hope that it brings me the good fortune it brought her :-)

just a girl

DONE!!!

Postby just a girl » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:10 am

Go Blue

Michigan 2011. I couldn't be happier.

just a girl

Re: Cycle=Done!!

Postby just a girl » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:41 am

I hate senior year. There are 90 days til graduation, and I cannot wait for each one to be done.
In other news, I sent withdrawals out to almost every school and am getting super-excited about where I'll be next year.
It's kind of how I played undergrad-I put down a deposit before I ever visited, just confident that it would be right . And it was. I'm hoping Michigan will be the same!

Return to “TLS Web Logs (Blogs)”