2L Year They Work You To Death =( Forum

lishi

Silver

Re: It's DECISION SEASON!!!!!!!

Post by lishi » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:58 pm

Got the big "R" from UCLA. I think this is the rejection I'm most sad about, because I really felt like I had a chance to be at least waitlisted there. Especially because they waitlisted everyone!!

So now all I have left pending is USC. What's sad about that is that I was more confident about UCLA than USC, so who knows now.

What I learned from this cycle is that I applied to WAY too many schools. But at least decision season is almost over!!!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Mon May 19, 2008 5:58 pm

Finally rejected from USC. It only took them 6 months, so at least I can feel that they actually looked at my application before placing a big REJECT stamp on it.

Also I'm basically done with classes. All I have to do is attend! Graduation and a move in less than a month. Better start packing!!!!!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:47 pm

It's official, I'm done with undergrad and my grades for the final term are in...

4.0!!!!

I've never gotten a 4.0 in undergrad so I'm really excited that I was able to end my u-grad career with a bang!!

This next week is going to be a bit hectic. I have all the fam flying in from California on Wednesday and Thursday, graduation on Saturday, then packing and moving to good ole Winston-Salem on Monday and Tuesday!!!!

Then I'll have two months of a summer. At my school we never really had summers, so I have no idea what to do for two months. I guess they're will be lots of reading involved!!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:55 pm

So last night was really fun at the bar, a lot of people showed up and it made me feel loved. But then this morning just made it all horrible.

A few of my friends and I decided to go back and crash at my place so they wouldn't have to drive home. I'm heading to bed and my friends are in the living room playing with my cat Bella. This morning I woke up and wondered why she wasn't on the bed with me because she always sleeps in the bed so i look all over the apartment until I realize she isn't in here. So i start looking outside, and I'm looking for a good 30 minutes until I finally find her.

Turns out one my friends opened the door and let her get out. I was obviously upset, because my cat has never been outside the apartment without me, so I nicely asked everyone to leave. They all ignored me and went back to sleep, so then I admit I got a little bitchy and turned the tv on with the volume up on high. Then one of the girls started to yell at me and I yelled back, until they left.

I feel like everyone thinks I'm overreacting. I know I probably shouldn't have yelled back, but I just think it would be common courtesy and respect for me and my apartment to not just open the door when there is a kitten that doesn't know better. I mean luckily she is scared of everything, but she could have wondered into the street or something. I'm just so frustrated because they don't seem to get that.

Whatever....I'm going to go lay by the pool and tan my sorrows away.

lishi

Silver

Wake Forest Here I COME!!!!!!!

Post by lishi » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:11 am

DECISION SEASON IS OFFICIALLY OVER!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be attending Wake Forest, and I'm extrememly excited because I have a perfect apartment and I want to meet everyone. I'm starting to get a bit nervous tho. I mean everyone goes in thinking they are going to do great, but someone has to end up in the bottom half :?

But hopefully that's not me!!!!!! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lishi

Silver

Re: WAKE FOREST HERE I COME!!!!!!!

Post by lishi » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:18 pm

So I just found out which section I'm in, my professors, and my schedule!!!

Of course, I get the one professor where all the 2L and 3Ls warned me about at orientation in March lol.

So excited. I wish I knew more people going, or had people on TLS in my same section so we can gossip about our teachers like all the cool NU kids. :wink:

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:28 pm

All summer I've been telling people how bored out of my mind I am. I moved to a new city months earlier than anyone else (my other lease was about to end, and I can't just drive home), and have been doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING all summer long. This whole summer all I wanted was for school to start, but now that I have less than 2 weeks till it starts I'm terrified. The days are going by so much faster than before. I want to stay in my boring summer forever!!

Next week I'm leaving for my last vacation, to San Diego, before the rest of life begins. I'm just hoping those days seem to drag out, because as soon as I come back it's in intense study mode for the next nine months of my life. :shock:

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:59 pm

There's no one in town I know
You gave us some place to go.
I never said thank you for that.
I thought I might get one more chance.

What would you think of me now,
so lucky, so strong, so proud?
I never said thank you for that,
now I'll never have a chance.

May angels lead you in.
Hear you me my friends.
On sleepless roads the sleepless go.
May angels lead you in.

Now what would you think of me now,
so lucky, so strong, so proud?
I never said thank you for that,
now I'll never have a chance.

May angels lead you in.
Hear you me my friends.
May angels lead you in.

And if you were with me tonight,
I'd sing to you just one more time.
A song for a heart so big,
god couldn't let it live.

May angels lead you in.
Hear you me my friends.
May angels lead you in.

May angels lead you in.
Hear you me my friends.
May angels lead you in.
May angels lead you in.

Arthur Zief (LinkRemoved) was one of the most amazing men I have ever met. He dedicated his life to helping those less fortunate than himself, and gave so many people a new start. He was an amazing asset to the San Francisco legal community, and he will be very dearly missed.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:34 pm

Enjoying the last parts of my summer in sunny San Diego!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:28 pm

First day of orientation starts tomorrow, and I'm already upset. Not only am I nervous about finally starting. I got a care package from my aunt, that had so many ants in it, that now I have to find a way to derid my apratment of these annoying creatures. Then my cat dropped my computer on the floor and then dropped a soda on top of it. Now it is moving at snail speed. This couldn't of happened at a worse time.

sooo stresseddddddd
:x

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:56 pm

Today was the last day of orientation. It started out a bit rough. I felt a little left out in the beginning because it seemed that everyone had gotten to know everyone, and I'm much more shy in real life than I am on TLS. But as the week went on it kept getting better and better. I'm so glad I chose Wake. I feel like everyone is really down to earth, funny, and isn't going to be trying to sabotage me.

Of course I have the "worst" teacher at Wake for Civ Pro which is supposed to be the hardest 1L subject. Nicknamed Mad Dog, he likes to torture 1L's. Supposedly he's completely different if you take him your second or third year, but your first year he will try everything he can to intimidate you. But supposedly deep down he's "as soft as a kitten". So hopefully I never come out of that class crying lol.

Our last information session was about the study abroad programs available, and it really got me excited for them. I'm definitely interested in participating in the Venice program. I know most TLSers say how horrible studying abroad is for your future career, but those are usually people that 1) haven't done it, 2) are brainwashed into thinking big law or death, or 3) are students, and as knowledgeable as they may be, there are some things we can't possibly know because we ARE NOT in the real world yet.

Every professional I have spoken to that either works for a firm, hires for a firm, career services, professors, etc. all think that studying abroad is an amazing opportunity and if anything will help you more than hurt you. While everyone else is talking about their summer writing memos and brief, you have something different and interesting to bring to the table. Also you can split your summer with work and study abroad, which if anything would make you even more desirable. In the end if I have to choose on who to believe being either current students or people that actually have experience, I choose experience. So I'm excited, and now I have to start budgeting so that I can stretch my money to Italy!!!!

Classes officially start Monday, and I can't wait!!!!!!!!

lishi

Silver

Re: Adventures of a Nervous 1L.....

Post by lishi » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:17 pm

So my first week of actual classes have begun, and I've discovered some exciting things.

1) My CivPro teacher, nicknamed "Mad Dog", wasn't really all that mad. He seemed like a really sweet old man. Almost like that old man that you want to be your grandfather, because he would put your parents in their place lol.

2) My Torts teacher is the nicest man ever!! If he grew out his beard and put on a red suit he would be Santa Clause!!!

3) Contracts, which already seems to be a pretty boring class, has a teacher that speaks very slowly....... Supposedly if you zone out, by the time you come back he'll still be on the same topic lol

4)I LOVE all the free stuff. I've gotten two nalgene (sp??) water bottles, two coffee mugs, free candy, cake, and other little supplements. Free Stuff Rocks!!!!!

Also my FAVORITE case in the whole wide world is US v. Satan and his Staff (54 F.R.D. 282). I want every person to look this up, and then read that the court said his PRAYER WAS DENIED!!!!

LAW SCHOOL IS FUN!!!! Check back with me in a month and see what I think then lol.

P.S. I'm using Wake colors. How school pride of me.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:05 am

So the rumor mill has been spinning!!!!!

This weekend I found out that a few people in my class heard that I had this really mean blog where I talked about everyone in our class, ripped them apart, basically a law school Gossip Girl. So I had people come up to me at the bar and ask if I had a blog that talked crap about people.

Suddenly I got really nervous, because I was like "I do have a blog, but I swear it doesn't say anything about anyone. The most I've posted on the board is that I don't think we really have any gunners in our class, there is just one girl that always likes to ask questions, but I don't think it's gunner like I think it's true confusion." Then they ask "Where is this blog". I go "TLS, top law schools.com". And they go "Oh no that's not the one. Someone thought it was and was passing it around to other people to read, but that wasn't the one we were talking about. We thought you had another"

:shock: :shock: People actually read this blog??? I mean I'm just writing what goes on, I never really thought it was all that interesting lol.

So I'm here to tell all Wake people that may be reading this blog, that I DO NOT have ANY other blog. Trust me out of all the people at our school, I'm probably one of the last few to talk crap about people. I truly think everyone is really great. I love you if you are reading this. And my loyalties are with TLS. I could never blog elsewhere :D

P.S. Hi WPF!!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:08 pm

So I've spent a lot of time on this board. Enough to know that the first year is hell, it sucks, it will never be fun, you shouldn't understand anything, and most of all you should be freaking out about the test.

Well I don't think it's hell, sometimes it sucks, I'm having a general good time, I feel like I understand most of what we are talking about, and worst of all I'm not really freaking out.

I'm starting to see others freak out about what's going to be on the test and I'm just not. I know I can't control it and I can only do what's best for me, but for some odd reason I feel like what works for me is working. I feel like I'm learning the material and understanding what I'm reading. I'm never up studying late. I always have time to go out if I want to. I never worry about not having the time to eat. I didn't think memo #2 took up that much time. But this goes against everything I've heard about law school. So it's official...

I'm freaking out about not freaking out
I know that technically means that I am freaking out. Therefore I can't be freaking out about not freaking out, but let's save that for another time.

I'm such a sick person. I'm almost wishing the work would start picking, so then I could feel overwhelmed like everyone else. :(

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:47 am

I've decided that law school tricks you. The first week is easy-peasy. Then it slowly starts to pick up, and then BAM you're like what have I been doing the past month of my life lol.

So I'm taking my first teacher made practice exam today for Torts. I finished up a midway point outline (that I'm uuber proud of) and today I shall take my first law school exam!!! I'm not so much worried (it's not graded at all), as I am more concerned about doing a decent job for someone who has never taken an exam before. I feel like I need a little confirmation that I'm not completely failing at this whole law school thing. I guess I'll only see tomorrow at the review session.

Next week is our Criminal Law midterm. It's graded, but our teacher says as long as we put in a good faith effort we get all the points. I'm actually more excited for this one, because I feel like I have NO idea what goes on a crim law exam.

We got our memos back this week. These were the first ones that were graded for our 1 credit class. I did well on it and know that I should be proud of my score, because it is my first memo, but I really wanted to do better. I'm that snobby girl that really wanted an A. And although I know only a few people got As I wanted to be one of them. Hmmph. Guess I'll just have to KICK ASS on the second one lol.

Ms. Nervous 1L shall be departing to study up for her CivPro class, because she just knows she's going to get called on for one of the hardest cases in the book (which isn't even in her book).

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:00 pm

So law school is definitely getting more stressful. Luckily my LRW class is over next week so I don't have to worry about that!! I don't know if I find LRW that horrible of a class. I don't think it takes up as much time as everyone makes it seem. But who knows maybe I'm not doing something right (this is the most probable explanation). lol

Our exam schedule just came out today and I must admit that I'm starting to get a little nervous/overwhelmed/stressed about studying for exams. I'm not even nervous about the tests yet, just the studying is making me think. Like how do I know if I'm even studying the right stuff, or if I'm studying enough or too little. AHHH I guess this is why they say the first year they scare you to death.

I think what bothers me most is that at my school our reading period is really just the weekend in between classes and exams. It's like your not fooling me!! That's not a reading period, that's a weekend. I think they are trying to trick us!! I just feel bad that the last week or two I may not be completely into classes because I'm going to need to study all the time hmmmm. What if I learn some groundbreaking things in those last couple weeks??

Welp I guess I have to hope for the best!!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:58 am

So at my school our first meeting with Career Services is a small group meeting. It's you and three to four other people and you discuss where you plan to work when you graduate and what kind of law you want to practice and your plans for the summer....

(Sometime last week....)
Well I plan on going to Venice to study abroad for half the summer (with some FANTASTIC chicas!) and I was telling the career service lady that because of that I was still going to apply to some firms but that I was also looking at some research positions. Well then my career service lady asks me if I've started contacting professors yet, and I explain that I haven't and I was actually curious to when and how we contact professors about research. THEN she told me that I should be contacting them NOW, as soon as possible, immediately, and just about every other word that then freaked me out that everyone had already been talking to professors and I wouldn't be able to find one.

So of course what do I do??? I start contacting professors. And because the woman made it seem like everyone was contacting professors and I was behind, and because I know nothing about research positions with professors, I contacted EIGHT of them!! 8!!!! So I have a meeting with the first one and she is shocked at how early I am in the process and tells me so. She followed it up as a positive, but now I'm mortified!! I'm so early that I'm embarrassed to meet with the other teachers. Now I have meetings with a few more, but how do I decide which I want to work for? And how do I tell some of them that they aren't my top choice? And what if I accept and then magically I get a firm job?? Ughhh life is hard....

But I did send out my resume and cover letters to a few select firms today so I'm uuber excited/nervous/terrified/curious/impatient. I just want to know what all of them say so I can know and move on with my life!!!

On unrelated career service news, I officially have 8 more days until my exam study plan goes into affect. I'm taking it easy the next few days. Only doing the assigned readings (no extra supplements) and updating my outline at the end of the week. Other than that I'm just relaxing and trying to gather myself before I have nothing left to look forward to except TTN (Trashy TV Night).

EDIT: Just so everyone knows: I am not applying to ANY NALP firms. All firms I am applying to are small or mid-size firms. There is no official begin date, and I am NOT violating any rules.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:53 pm

So today was the day. The inevitable day where you simply aren't prepared for class. I could give excuses of why, but in reality I have none. Let me set the scene...

Me sitting directly in the middle of my Criminal law classroom, on my sections day to be called on. Typing to my mother on instant messenger accusing her of trying to make me go off my budget so she can be right (which I swear she was trying to do). And then the fateful words, "Lishi, can you tell us what happened in so and so case". Me thinking "Oh yes i can, you didn't trick me" as I turn the page to the case. I get to the case and realize I didn't read it. My familiar underlining and highlighting aren't there. I stare at my page for what seems like eternity hoping that I can magically gain the knowledge in this case, until I simply say "No, I can't."

So depressing, so embarassing. I read the whole chapter, then mysteriously stopped at that case and skipped to the next assignment and read all of that. How could I possibly just skip three pages of material? I read the other cases, why couldn't he call on me for that? I did read, I swear!!! Just not that case.

What's worse than feeling humiliated in front of all my classmates (because now I'm that girl that didn't read), is that I planned on going to my teacher and asking questions. But now I feel silly going to ask questions when it seems like I haven't been paying attention or doing the assignments. In the words of TLS I just experienced an EPIC FAIL!!!

So now I feel like I must prove myself the next time we have the class. I must come up with some amazing realization, or at least a correct response. Then maybe I'll be able to show my face to my crim law teacher.

Today we must use the color black to show our horrible failure in criminal law....

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:00 pm

Today was the last day of classes!!!! So exciting, only two more weeks then I'm eating FANTASTIC California food!!!!

I'm starting to feel better about exams. The only thing I'm really nervous about is that my CivPro teacher is the only one that ALWAYS hands out Cs and Ds even though he doesn't need to. If I get a B, I'll have this huge sigh of relief. Probably even rejoice. Other than that I don't know if I'm that nervous. I think I'm more anxious. I just want to do it already. Take my tests, get my grades, and then start the new semester. Oh and stop reading for a full 3 weeks!!!!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:54 pm

Two exams down, two to go!!!

Only Contracts and Civ Pro left. Not so nervous about Contracts, but Civ Pro scares me more and more everyday. I wish I was in the other sections where people actually learn civil procedure, instead of having to memorize things to info dump on the test. And then on top of that, this is the only class where the teacher ALWAYS gives out a mandatory amount of Cs and Ds!! :shock: :shock:

Other than the stress of possibly getting a D, I really enjoy law school. It's def more work than undergrad was, but I think it's most certainly manageable. Now I guess we'll see if I still have this view when I get my grades back lol.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:35 pm

I'M DONE WITH EXAMS!!!!!! YAY!!!!! :D

I got my first grade back today. It was for LRW which is only 1 credit, but so far I'm happy with it. It puts me in the range that I hope my other grades will keep me in, so that's always a plus.

Although I think it's so weird that all the other nights I slept fine, and last night I couldn't sleep at all and today I couldn't even take a nap. Who can't sleep once finals are over?? I'm supposed to feel relaxed!!! I'm supposed to be sleeping right now!!!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lishi

Silver

Re: No Longer Nervous, Just Anxious.....

Post by lishi » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:06 pm

What I'm doing during my break:

patiently, patiently, patiently, PATIENTLY waiting for grades!!!! :x

oh and playing with Bella (aka my cat) (aka the other thing in my picture) (aka I'm her b*tch!)

lishi

Silver

Re: ......and second semester begins

Post by lishi » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:51 pm

So the second semester has begun this week, and everyone keeps asking me how I feel about it.

I'm definitely not as excited as I was at the beginning of the first semester. You go into the first semester with guns blazing because you are so excited to be at a new school, new people, and you have no idea what is coming your way. Second semester is COMPLETELY different. Knowing what this semester is going to be like, I think has made me more content/lazy with my work. I still read all my assignments and I'm trying really hard to read all the supplements immediately, but I'm not as worried about reading every assignment the night before. And it no longer takes me a long time to dissect a case, which is always a good thing.

I understand now how easy it can be to lose motivation in the second semester. I feel like many people will think that they did fine last term when their guns were blazing and that they'll be ok now even though they may be slacking compared to last semester. Hopefully I don't fall prey to this trap, that I'm sure gets a few students this semester.

Grade came in last week, and I was satisfied. I had a preset rank that I had to be above, and I did make it above that which is definitely good. Of course I wish I did better, but I think everyone wishes that after grades come out (except the person that is the first in the class, which I'm sure is very happy at where they are at). I also saw the complete arbitrariness that comes with law school grades. You always hear about it, but I think for some reason you just don't think about it or think it's all a big lie or something. I see people that worked so hard, seemed to know so much, and people I was convinced were going to do great, do not so well. It completely baffles me. All of these are people that should have done so much better than me, yet here I am and I don't know what I did.

As far as jobs I've gotten an offer in Philadelphia, but I had originally planned to stay in NC for the first six weeks before setting off on my adventure to Italy. I'm still looking at other possible opportunities that may come my way, but I'm torn. Should I go for the job that will help me out money wise, or the job that will look better on my resume. Luckily I still have time to decide, but my time is running out and it's making me very nervous.

So I guess in the end I'm still just a Nervous 1L.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:55 am

I have no idea why every complains about first semester, and doesn't say a thing about second semester. I'm telling all of you reading this that second semester is TEN TIMES WORSE than first semester. Longer assignments, complex reading, oh and this pesky little class called ConLaw!!

I am so confused by ConLaw that I want to rip my head off. Not only are the assignments long and the material dry, but it takes me forever to get through it because I simply don't understand what I'm supposed to be getting out of it. I spend so much more time on ConLaw then other subjects that I feel like I'm going to fall behind in the others. Oh how I hate second semester.

What is the takeaway here??? 2 things:

Don't go to law school because second semester sucks AND no means no.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:45 am

So I'm livid right now!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

In my LRW class our first brief was due last week. Before it was due I scheduled IN ADVANCE with my professor asking him if he could go over my brief with me, because I wasn't quite sure how to do it, what was needed, format, etc. He responds saying he'll meet me at 10am on Wednesday, and I send him my brief via email BEFORE the meeting so that he can go over it and help me with what needs to be changed. Day of the meeting I get an email at 9:45 asking if we can move the meeting to 10:30. I respond saying ok. at 10:28 I get an email asking if we can push the meeting back to 10:45. I don't get this email, because by that time I am waiting outside his office. Maybe that is because I have common courtesy to be at a meeting on time.

He doesn't show up until a little after 10:45 I have class at 11. He comes in and hasn't even looked at my brief. Then stumbles for 5 minutes to pull it up on his computer, and then tells me about my headings, and a citation that I had wrong. I had to leave because I had class. I get my brief back and I bombed it! I SUCKED!!

And I know it's my fault. I wrote a crappy brief, I admit it. BUT the whole point of the meeting was that I didn't understand How to Write a Brief. In class he told us the sections that are needed, emphasized the fact section (of all sections) and basically sent us on our way.

AND this isn't the first time he's done this. I scheduled a meeting with him to go over my writing sample, and he never showed up. Obviously they don't teach common courtesy in law school, but my mother taught me that when I'm meeting with someone to discuss something I: (1) should be prepared, (2) should at least be somewhat on time, oh AND (3) NOT BE A FLAKE!! You're a professor. Your sole job is to help teach people who know nothing about brief writing, How to Write a Brief. If you're not doing that, aren't you not doing your job!!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Web Logs (Blogs)”