sarah's tls blog Forum

sarahs5

New

sarah's tls blog

Post by sarahs5 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:55 am

alright, i decided to start a blog on here so i don't have to post on the other boards about waiting forever for certain schools. pretty much just to clear my own mind but if it's helpful to anyone else than that's cool too.

so all of these apps were sent on dec 21, right before lsac decided to take a 2 week long xmas vacation. bad timing.

all of the schools have been mailed the complete lsac report/packet. it's arrival is up to the us postal service and out of my hands.

received "complete emails from"
Davis - Jan 23
Hastings - Jan 17
Stanford - Jan 11

received "we got your application but we're not telling if you're complete or not" emails from:
Pepperdine - Jan 2
USC - Jan 2

received "we got your application" snail mail confirmation from:
Loyola - Jan 16 (complete)

heard absolutely nothing from:
USD
UCLA
Berkeley
- update: complete on Jan 23

also, Pepperdine requested that i apply for the faculty scholar's award, which grants full tuition +5k yearly. hopefully that means i stand a pretty good chance there. i faxed it to them the day it was due so hopefully everything is cool in that department.

from what i've seen on the boards, USD will probably just send acceptance letters without "complete" emails. UCLA is being weird and slow and i probably shouldn't worry about it (although i am since i'm really hoping and counting on it). Berkeley sends an email 3 days before you receive a response telling you that they'll be evaluating your application.

nevertheless, i'm stressing like crazy, especially when i see everyone else getting accepted already. i think if i haven't heard anything from UCLA and Berkeley by the end of this week, i'll give them a call at the beginning of next week to make sure nothing got lost.

if anyone's reading this and wants to compare him or herself to me, here are my stats:
sept 2007 lsat - 160 (had a small breakdown in the middle of the test when i misread the first game and fucked up the logic games section. i missed the entire last game, and while i was trying to bubble in random bubbles, the proctor yelled at me for not putting down my pencil fast enough. i did not handle this well and began to cry in the middle of the test. considered canceling my score but was too curious to actually do it. i came back hating myself for cracking under pressure, especially since i'd been scoring 170+ on practice tests.)
dec 2007 lsat - 168 (great improvement over the 160 but caused me to apply late in the cycle and if schools average scores, will work against me)
GPA: 3.85
Major: Anthropology
UG School: UCLA

it seems like i'm in the middle of the applicant pool - neither auto admit nor auto reject. hopefully that's why it's taking so long for these schools to reach a decision...
Last edited by sarahs5 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarahs5

New

Re: sarah's tls blog

Post by sarahs5 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:15 am

here are some things factoring into my decision:
1. location - basically just nor cal v. socal. not a huge change i realize, but from what i hear, davis is kind of in the boonies. also, my parents are funding my legal education until i get money to pay off my (and their) loans. they kind of hate berkeley but i love it. so there. they also hate hastings', loyola's and usc's locations since they think i'm going to get robbed or stabbed or something. safety is not a huge concern for me in selecting my school, but the 'rents have the final say.

2. $$$ - whether a school gives me any money or not. the uc's are ideal since they're still more expensive than UG but waaay less expensive than private school. however, if by some miracle stanford decides they want to waste one of their spots on me, i'd take it in a second, regardless of the fact that tuition is like 50k/year.

3. quality of life - kind of goes along with location. i don't want to go to school where i'd feel uncomfortable, i.e. religious schools. i'd also prefer a large public school rather than a smaller private school just because i'd feel more at home there. also, unless berkeley wants me, i'd rather stay socal. also, i've heard nasty things about hastings' tude. i don't want a dog-eat-dog spirit and i don't want the harshest curve of all the schools because that'll hurt my gpa and job prospects after graduation.

4. prestige of the school - probably should've listed this one first. but yeah. as a general rule, the higher ranked - the better.

5. proximity to my bf - i'm still not sure if this should factor into my final decision. we've been together for 3 years. if we end up in the same city, we'll stay together. however, if we're going to different schools we've both decided to break up since long distance relationships just don't work. he's applying to UCLA, Berkeley, UCSD, Stanford, and MIT for grad school. i feel like in the long term, it's probably not in my best interest to factor him in, but ugggggggggggh, i don't know. if get all my acceptances before he gets his (march-april), maybe i won't even have to factor him in at all. this by far is the trickiest factor in my school selection process.

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:59 pm

my application is now under review at berkeley. scary.

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:03 pm

just called ucla admissions office to check if i was complete. they were very friendly and helpful and i am complete. yay!

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:12 am

first acceptance! in at pepperdine with 37k renewable scholarship! yayyyy!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:48 am

yay! complete at all my schools. now for more waiting...

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:23 pm

in at USD today! so far i'm 2 and 0!

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:59 pm

yesssss! after playing phone tag with the dean of admissions, i got a call back today saying i'm in at ucla!!!!!!!!!!

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:13 pm

in at davis! just checked the status checker. sarah -4, law schools - 0.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:32 am

in at hastings! 5-0.

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:14 pm

wl'd at boalt. an acceptance or rejection from boalt was the only thing i was looking forward to that would change my decision - and now i have to wait until summer! doing that would mess up getting housing and my chances at other schools. ucla has always been good to me, has awesome grad housing, has a nice law school, and good employment prospects in socal. i've known ucla grads get job offers with big firms for a starting salary of 140k/year. i'll wait a bit until i hear from the other schools, none of which will impact my decision (unless sc decides to give me a full ride or something ridiculous like that) and then i'll place my deposit at ucla.

edit. boalt - i'm sorry i dropped the f-bomb on you.

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:31 pm

in at sc! yay! my ego has magically healed.
for the record: acceptances: 6, waitlists: 1, rejections: 0, still waiting on: loyola (wtf) and stanford.

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:37 pm

procrastination post:
i'm trying to write a paper but it's soooo hard! ahh, why am i on tls?!

edit - i only have 400 words and can't focus for the life of me. heading back to my apt, and maybe i'll finish the paper later.

edit - finished the paper. it is horrible.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:30 pm

in at loyola! 7 acceptances, 1 waitlist, 1 unknown.

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:35 am

SPICY! EXCITING! <~~ this is me sprucing up my blog for Grad. :D

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:09 pm

reeeeeejected! it must be stanford's job to keep me humble. my cycle is now over.
the final score - 7 acceptances, 1 wl, 1 rejection.

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:03 pm

so i just received ucla's financial aid "award". it consists of zero grants/scholarships and tons and tons of loans. bummer. doesn't even come close to usc's 20k/year offer. ucla - i love you but it saddens me to know i mean so little to you. :( decision making is hard.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:50 pm

so i just got a job as a hostess at a restaurant/sports bar in westwood. i'm glad i'll have something to do other than volunteer at the courthouse. my first day is on monday - during the ncaa championship game!! ahhhhhh!!!! i can't believe they gave me that as my first shift. messed up. anyways, now i need to buy black everything to wear. also, i interviewed at a couple other places like cpk. ok. so they are ridiculous. they had us write short essays on things like "what does hospitality mean to you?". in addition, they have THREE interviews. is that really necessary for a job where all you'll be doing is telling people to sit down?! i think not. i really should go make the hours i missed at the courthouse while i was job searching.

on a side note, i've been reading oneL. it's ok but i thought it'd be more entertaining. plus, it seems really outdated. i wish someone would write a more recent one. it's weird to think i'll be staying exactly where i am for three more years. i'll be honest - i'm a little sick of westwood. so by the 15th my bf has to decide where he's going to school. until then i will be incredibly nervous and hope that ucla offers him a boatload of cash to attend. after hearing he got into stanford, i wouldn't expect him to even consider ucla so i'm thrilled to see that it's still on his radar. he told his professor that he was still considering it because i plan on going to law school there. it would be really nice to have him around during my first year to be supportive and calming. i would never ask him to choose ucla over stanford for me but i secretly hope he does. i would be incredibly happy if he stayed in la and i wouldn't have to stress over things like long-distance relationships/breaking up/relationship drama every night. he shouldn't have told me he's still considering ucla - it got my hopes up. i'll try not to think about it as much for the next couple weeks and just enjoy the time we have together.

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:50 pm

i have the flu. :(

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:26 pm

despite the flu, i'm going to vegas yet again to celebrate my best friends' 21st. won't be on tls til monday night so don't do anything too interesting til i get back.

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Thu May 01, 2008 7:38 pm

so i called and checked about my position on boalt's waitlist. third quartile. there are 350 on the list. usually 10-15 people are accepted off the list. so basically, i'm fucked. bummer. i really wanted to go there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Thu May 22, 2008 2:48 pm

I saw a midnight screening of Indiana Jones last night!! I don't want to spoil anything so I'll just say that it did not disappoint. :D I think part of the fun was seeing it in a huge theater with people who had been waiting in line all day. There were several guys in the full Indy adventurer getup with the ripped sleeves and the hat walking around cracking their whips. It was pretty hot. The crowd was hilarious and cheered for every little thing. Before the movie started the entire 1000-person audience did the 8-clap (a UCLA cheer), haha. Also, the Lopez twins from Stanford sat right in front of my roommate's friends. She said, on top of the fact that they're 7 ft. tall, one had a big afro and was wearing a hat on top! All in all, last night totally made up for the fact that customers were bitchy all day. So yeah, go see Indiana Jones! *cracks whip*

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Tue May 27, 2008 6:40 pm

I just confirmed my SIR at UCLA!! I have to do massive BearWear purchasing soon and replace my old tattered sweatshirts. I'm going to buy a crapload o' stuff this summer. I have to get some kind of car, a laptop (I'm looking at the Lenovo Thinkpad), furniture, reading supplements, and maybe some clothes a little more grad school-appropriate than tanktops and cutoff shorts. Picked up my cap and gown today, so that's one less thing to worry about.

I'm excited for my trips to the 49th and 50th states over summer. I'll be chilling in Hawaii for a week with my best friend. So far we have on the agenda: jetskiing, parasailing, a waterfall hike, ATV driving, horseback riding, a luau, tours of pearl harbor/dole pineapple fields/polynesian cultural center, and of course relaxing by the beach with tiny umbrella-filled drinks.

Then, a week later my friend, my parents, and I are going on a cruise to Alaska. We're going on an old railroad, a hike through the forest, ziplining through the trees, and whitewater rafting by the glaciers. I've never been to Alaska before, so I'm psyched to see glaciers and whales and bears and such from our balcony. After the cruise, we're going to be driving up to Denali park for a few days and seeing what that's all about.

My last day working at the restaurant is Sunday! After that, I have to catch up on hours for my volunteer job at the courthouse. And then, on June 13, I'm graduating and will be officially old.

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Fri May 30, 2008 4:10 am

Lately, I feel I've been consuming waaay more than the suggested caloric intake for people my size. Even though I don't know the calories for most of these foods, I'm going to list everything I eat for a week in order to guilt myself to try and eat better. This is probably going to be a boring entry so don't read it. It's just for my own reference.

Wednesday

Breakfast
Trader Joe's Pomegranate and Mango Juice
Bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios

Lunch
none

Dinner (at the dorms)
Fries
Corn Dog
Pink Lemonade (2 glasses)
Bowl of Corn Pops
Chocolate/Vanilla Swirl Frozen Yogurt w/ Sugar Cone

After Dinner
3 bottles of Trader Joe's Amber beer
Bowl of Trader Joe's udon noodles

Thursday

Breakfast
Grande Cinnamon Dolce Latte (Starbuck's)

Lunch
BJ's lunch size Cobb salad

Dinner
1/2 Chipotle chicken burrito
2 pints of cheap free beer (Bud Light?)

After Dinner
6 inch Subway Spicy Italian sandwich
4 Oreos

Friday

Breakfast
6 inch Subway Spicy Italian sandwich

Lunch
Balsalmic Chicken

Dinner
a tiny bit of salad
7 taster set (equivalent of 3-4 beers)

After Dinner
2 jello shots
2 shots of Malibu
1 vodka pineapple
2 Long Beaches (like Long Islands but red)
1 Jack and Coke

Saturday

uggggggggh too many drinks last night. Couldn't stomach breakfast or lunch.

Dinner
Flat noodles w/soy sauce and chicken

sarahs5

New

Post by sarahs5 » Sat May 31, 2008 11:04 pm

Going to see Sex and the City in about an hour! I've heard good things, so I'm really excited! Even though I've been sleeping on and off all day, I'm still pretty tired. I'm no longer so hungover I want to die, so that's good. Last night was really fun though. It was nice having all my friends all go out together for once. First, I went to dinner (at the restaurant where I work) with co-workers from the courthouse to celebrate the end of the year. Then, I came back, got ready and went via cab to this bar/club in Santa Monica. The DJ was pretty good, and even though it was a small place, there was ample space to dance. Eventually, I got a little ridiculous but all in all it was a satisfying night out. Also, I'm poor now. haha.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Web Logs (Blogs)”